Ostomy Memories of Money Speaks

In this discussion
Replies
Views
HenryM

“FOR THE LOVE OF MONEY is the root of all evil” it says in 1 Timothy 6:10.  Ayn Rand turned that around in her novel ‘Atlas Shrugged’ to say “money is the root of all good.”  She took capitalism to its natural conclusion.  It is what gives us today the phenomenon of economic strength prevailing over environmental health, as well as decisions such as Citizens United in which the U. S. Supreme Court held that corporate funding of political activity was protected free speech per the 1st Amendment and couldn’t be limited.  Money is speech!  And the more money you have, the more weight your speech carries.  Ayn Rand was certainly up-to-date in her seemingly preposterous celebration of money as the be-all and end-all of how things work, from the production of products to the production of legislation and, of late, court decisions.  With money, one can purchase everything from dinner to a smiling congressman.  Too bad if the interests of corporate America don’t coincide with the best interests of a vast majority of the electorate.  The bible may be full of a lot of nonsense, but Timothy got it right re love of money.  That’s not to say it doesn’t suck to be poor, but there’s a huge difference between ENOUGH money and TOO MUCH money.  

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,100 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello HenryM.
I feel that the concept of money and the way it is used should be a constant and ongoing conversation. because it permeates most of how modern societies operate, it has become a complex array of interactions, some of which appear relatively 'good', others are perceived as 'bad'., and some are fairly neutral. 

Many of my rhymes on the subject have focussed on the 'bad' aspects of money, where it appears to be 'weaponised' to try to hurt other people. However, that does not mean I have not witnessed some of the 'good' aspects, it simply means that I feel that the negative side ought to be highlighted in the hope that something might be done to put things right. 

Money is in fact a neutral entity. like most things in life. As per the 'normal' course of action, it is humans who make this commodity into the variety of positives and negatives that we observe. 

From the many rhymes I've penned about this subject I have chosen just one to share with you today:

Best wishes

Bill

MONEY.

Money is a means to an end.
Some may save and some may spend.
Very few can get enough 
of that ’filthy-lucre’ stuff.

In money systems, money’s power.
It can enrich but may devour.
When coupled with maturity 
it can mean great security.

It can be used to buy good things
and much pleasure also brings. 
Money can give peace of mind
but only to the humankind.

Money’s a neutral means of barter
yet it’s  become a way to strata.
So the rich become highbrow 
and the poor they disendow.

This can generate anxiety 
in a monetarist society.
So the rich get more and more 
and the rest remain quite poor.

Certain things you cannot buy
even though they might still try. 
These are things of great value
like the love I have for you.  

Like the loyalty of a friend 
not influenced by what I spend.
Like an independent view 
which helps us all to think anew.

Think of the flowers as they grow
they don’t have money that I know
and yet they seem to come each year 
and add great value and good cheer.

As I mature I realise
money’s not the greatest prize.
Valued things that are for me
not for sale, they are for free.

B. Withers 2007
 (in- ‘Constructive Conversations Inversed’ 2008 p37.)

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
TerryLT

Hi Henry,One of my favourite quotes is from David Lee Roth, who when asked if he thought money could buy happiness, replied, "Money can't buy you happiness, but it can buy you a yacht big enough to pull up right along side it."

Terry

Justbreathe

width=