Ostomy Memories of a Dog's Life

In this discussion
Replies
Views
HenryM

DOGS DIDN’T USE TO BE man’s best friend.  I’m no bible reader, though I have it on decent authority that dogs are mentioned many times, but only with abhorrence.  Shakespeare didn’t treat dogs much better.  Their various behaviors and general filthiness seem to have repulsed the poet.  Historically, no one wants to ‘lead a dog’s life’ or ‘go to the dogs’ or ‘die like a dog.’  Even today, there are people who find dogs disgusting.  Donald Trump often uses dogs as a metaphor when criticizing someone.  But, notwithstanding the Mar-a-Lago mountebank, somewhere along the line things changed and dogs metamorphosed from vile curs to loveable pets.  They have their own doctors (vets), food manufactured just for them right out of a handy can (often vitamin-enriched), cute cold weather jackets to wear, their own beds, doggie boarding houses, dog parks, and even devoted shelter workers trying to find them ‘forever homes.’  Responsible, loving humans with dogs even carry on their walks the necessary accoutrements with which to pick up the dog’s poop.  It has become the so-called Life of Riley.  No, perhaps it is better described as the Life of Fido.  

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

AlexT

I'll be the first to admit, my dog lives better than I do.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill

Hello HenryM.

Once upon a time, I wrote two juxtaposing rhymes about pet dogs.
The first  was from a human perspective and the second was from the dog’s perspective.

EnjoY!

Best wishes

Bill

IF I HAD A DOG : GREAT EXPECTATIONS.

If I had a dog
I’d expect it to be
kind and gentle
and loving to me.

I’d expect its’ attention
and expect it to care.
Daytime and night-time
I’d expect it ‘THERE’.

If I had a dog
it would know right away,
the times when I wanted
 to run or to play.

If I was ill
it would stay by my side
and truly would mourn
if I were to die.

B. Withers 1990
                                (in: ‘Evidence’ 1992)

PET PERSPECTIVE.

All the things that you had taught
are likely now to come to nought.
with plans not made, nor battles fought
few artefacts of life are bought.

Complexities of life are now,
immediately they make you bow.
Easy escape they don’t allow,
but follow me, I’ll show you how.

Sometimes I’m seen to sit and muse
what might have been if I could choose
the style of life for me and you
that’s tailor-made for just us two.

There’s give and take, no thoughts of greed,
we cater to each other’s need.
I fetch your slippers, whilst me you feed,
What ecstasy to stroke and read.

Freedom, fun, and food galore,
we’ll romp and roll around the floor.
Then walk and talk and walk some more,
when time and love both fill our store.

That’s the style for which I pine
and that’s the life that could be mine
for we are both still in our prime.
what WE could do – if YOU had time.

B. Withers 1985
                                                          (in: ‘Evidence’ 1992)

SallyK

I don't know life without a dog. Lol, I grew up on a farm and we had a dog then. And I have always had a dog wherever I lived. They are such great companions. ❤️🐶😊

TerryLT
Reply to AlexT

As it should be!

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
TerryLT

Hi Henry, I admit that I'm partial to 'dog people' and am always a little suspicious of people who don't like dogs. I'll sometimes give someone who hasn't made the best impression on me a bit of a break if I find out they are a dog lover, thinking "Well, they can't be all bad!". Unfortunately, your description of a dog's life in today's society doesn't apply to large parts of the world, where many cultures still think of dogs as not much better than vermin, or even a food source!! I've visited a few of these places on holidays and always come away feeling a little guilty for helping to support their economies.

Terry