Introduction and Unexpected Colostomy Experience

Replies
Views
Dogen\'s bag

Greetings,

I was not sure where to place this but wanted to introduce myself. :-)

49-year-old Canadian man, went into the hospital Dec 4th (2022) for diverticulitis pain and woke up with a colostomy bag. No idea this was going to happen.

I know I am lucky to be alive and with my family and was told it will likely be reversed which I should also be very thankful for yet I'm just overwhelmed. Over time I am sure it will fade but am thankful for sites such as this. I had no idea what a strong community this is.

Thanks for having me. :-)

SallyK

Welcome! There are lots of wonderful ostomates on here ready to answer questions, give advice, and just be there for support.

For some reason, your post didn't show up in 'notifications' so only people that go looking for 'new posts' will see it. If you want, repost it in the 'ostomy related' category so everyone will get a notification.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,487 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hey there, welcome to the magical mystery tour!

Plenty of people here willing to give advice and answer questions if you need it. Don't be shy about jumping into any discussion thread at any time...

Dogen\'s bag
Reply to Anonymous

Thank you :-)

AlexT

Howdy.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
TerryLT

Welcome to the site! Lots of great people, good advice, and awesome support, so don't hesitate to ask anything. Nothing's off limits (well, politics and religion might not be a great idea LOL!) and there are no stupid questions. We are here for as long as you need us. I can relate; went into the ER one night with severe abdominal pain, and came out the next day with an ostomy. Quite a shock to the system, isn't it? Mine is permanent, but I'm good with it and have adjusted well. Hopefully yours will just be temporary, but the whole experience will probably change you. At the very least, it will show you that you are stronger than you think, life is precious, and to be grateful for every day.

Terry

Past Member
Reply to Dogen\'s bag

You're welcome.

Thxguy

Welcome - I'm a 51-year-old in Canada, and have been living with my permanent ostomy for a little over 10 years now. It was a shock when I had mine as well, but colorectal cancer had its own mind, and I was just the passenger. Happy to be here, and this group is very open and supportive. I don't post often, but read, laugh, and think around this site often.
Don't be afraid to ask whatever you need help with.

godisgreatty12345
Reply to Thxguy

Hello, how are you doing? Hope you are doing good? Have you been to Canada some years ago and it was a wonderful trip for me... Which state are you in Canada? Did you have colostomy or ileostomy?

godisgreatty12345

Welcome on board and hope you found some posts helpful because that can help a lot....