Ostomy Memories of my Mother's Eyebrow

Replies
Views
HenryM

SOME PEOPLE ENVY WEALTH, OR POWER, OR FAME.  Me, I always envied my mother’s ability to raise just one eyebrow.  We might be in the midst of some family gathering and, suddenly, I would see that one eyebrow go up as she stared in my direction.  I must have done something, or said something, about which she was now raising her objection.  That crooked eyebrow evoked my conscience which, at my young age, was definitely a work in progress.  I wasn’t a sociopath, but I had my own ideas about what was right and wrong, and I was struggling to bring those ideas into some form or shape sufficient to keep me from running afoul of the law or, more practically, my mother.  “The one thing that doesn’t abide by majority rule,” wrote Harper Lee, “is a person’s conscience.”  And me, although a definite supporter of the democratic process, I wasn’t always in step with what the majority was after.  Regimentation always offended me.  I was in Army ROTC, but quit.  I had a legislative internship, but quit.  As a public defender, I spent a few years representing felony defendants, but quit doing that, as I found that I could no longer continue to shelve my moral repugnance at what many of them had done.  I discovered, finally, my conscience, I suppose.  I got a few guilty people off, and I could see my mother’s eyebrow go up.  

AlexT

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

SallyK

Justbreathe

OMG Henry - My dad did this and I often repeated this quirky habit through the years - your post awakened my memory of this and at the same time enlightened me as to why, on a bad day, my right eyebrow seems to sag a bit lower than my left. Even though my plastic surgeon said he worked on it for over an hour, it still has saggy days. Currently reading Sally's recommended book Ho'oponopono, it's enlightening although forgiveness is not my issue - need a book on joyfulness. I think my sag may be due to depression - a gift from Seymour aka Vesuvius (my stoma). jb (just babble)

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
AlexT
Reply to Anonymous

She could hold a conversation with someone without saying a word, I'd be scared to talk to her.

SallyK
Reply to Justbreathe

I was reading that book for my class... to become a Ho'oponopono practitioner. Might be dry reading if the interest isn't there.

Whenever I feel depression creeping in again, I watch stand-up comedy... Jim Gaffigan is my fav. I also practice gratitude and listen to Abraham Hicks a lot. I just look for new things to do that catch my interest. I work at a mind, body, spirit shop so surrounded by very cool topics. I can chat while at work, so hit me up anytime JB.

TerryLT

My dad could rant, rave and bluster all he wanted when I did something that displeased him. I was mostly unmoved. One look of disappointment from my mum (both eyebrows in play) was all it took to send me into a pit of shame and remorse.

Terry

Justbreathe
Reply to SallyK

Yes, I totally agree and continually search for things that make me laugh. But then there are those days when I hear that crinkle of the belly bag and I am reminded of how quickly life can take a turn. This is when depression and lack of gratitude pounce and I live in fear of docs and drugs (prescription drugs that is ;) . Which brings me to my latest cartoon chuckle

SallyK
Reply to Justbreathe

I agree JB. I can have terrible thoughts about what the future holds... I just try to not go too far down the rabbit hole when those thoughts hit.

Fiddles
Reply to SallyK

I'm more of a 'glass half-full' kind of person and my bag makes me so grateful that I'm alive, as I so nearly wasn't. I'm grateful for the skills of the doctors that saved me and the nurses that cared for me, and I'm grateful that I can see my grandchildren grow up, 2 of whom weren't even born in 2019 when I got the stoma.

ahynes111
Reply to SallyK

Hi Sally K! A friend introduced me to the teachings/leadership of Abraham Hicks. It really helped me in turning negative thoughts around.

Sunshine Girl
Reply to SallyK

Love, love, love Downton Abbey!!!

SallyK
Reply to Sunshine Girl

LOL, me too!

SallyK
Reply to ahynes111

Hi! I love how there are so many free YouTube videos now of Esther/Abraham.

SallyK
Reply to Fiddles

I am definitely 'glass half full' or 'the glass is refillable'.