Shower cover for colostomy bag

Replies
Views
Fine_wine59

Is it best to use one? What brand is best

AlexT

No idea on the commercial made ones but the Saran Wrap or Cling Wrap ideas were worthless for me. I just let it get wet and dry off.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,439 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Beth22

Me too I shower with it and lightly pat dry and I am good to go

Jro3

I also get mine wet in the shower and dry. I do find they develop a mild odor after a few days. I typically go 4-5 days between changing the base and change bags more often. I often remove the bags and shower, leaving the base on and just snap on new (dry) bags after the shower. Have also learned that using a hair dryer to dry off the bags will make the urostomy build bacteria faster (stinks when emptying) and that the colotomy bags can melt at very low temps:)

I'm a double bagger and coming up on 2 years.

patrickrichardson1946

when i shower with bag on i use a hospital type thin plastic apron which i cut off at the waist and tie around my waist covering the bag. lift up apron and wash genital area without wetting the bag. if the bag is a bit damp i tuck large tissues under and overthe bag while it is completely dry.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Axl

What Alex and Beth said, forget about it, pat it dry and blast it with the hair dryer, takes minutes, you'll spend more time friggin around with gadgets.

w30bob

Hi Fine,

As folks have said.......the answer to your question is 'no', you don't need to use a bag cover when you shower. The bags are waterproof (or they wouldn't hold output), so there's no need to protect them while taking a shower. I'd say keep it simple and skip the cover. I find that patting the bag dry with a paper towel, instead of your bath towel, dries the bag better, as paper towel is more absorbent.

When I shower on days I'm not planning on changing my barrier I do keep my ostomy belt on, and have a nice dry one waiting for me after I get out of the shower and dry off. The belt takes a lot longer to dry than your bag does, and if you wear it wet it will feel cold and bug you until it's completely dry. I also use paper towel to dry the wet belt, and then hang to dry thoroughly while continuing on with my other nice dry belt.

;O)

Hisbiscus

None of them work unfortunately. The best thing I have found is press and seal but then you have to have it taped just right and with the right tape like hy tape, or water will get inside and make things worse. I have been brain racking this subject for years trying to think of a way or some invention for this purpose of a shower cover that will actually work.