Managing Life After Ostomy: Experiences with Dattex Medication?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic discusses personal experiences and advice on managing life after ostomy, specifically related to the use of Dattex medication.
Caros1

Hi. I've been ostomy-free since 07/21. I only had an ileostomy bag for just one month short of a year. But living with SBS (Short Bowel Syndrome) which leaves me staying close to home, never knowing when or what might set off a rush of diarrhea. There are times when it's hard to determine which is the worst. At least with the bag, I didn't have to worry about having an accident.

I am in the process of starting a new medication, Dattex, to reduce the rush of bowel movement. Has anyone else used this med?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

w30bob

Hi Carlos,

Gattex has been discussed on here a few times, the last being just a few weeks ago. Try the search and see what comes up. I'm sending you a private message regarding your SBS.

;o)

Bob

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Drnjm

That's tough!!! I have an ileostomy... I do have more leaks and explosions than I want to admit... but I have learned to control my food intake, to time periods when I am close to home. Before Ms. Stella, my ostomy, I had the same issue... so then and now... I have learned the timing of eating and when output happens... and if I want to go somewhere and not be too bothered with excessive output... I use the intermittent fasting methodologies and that has made more of a difference than anything... maybe with the medicine and just shifting the timing of eating you may have better luck??? Just a suggestion... I acknowledge what you are going through is horrible... no one dreams of this type of thing as a child... but you are stronger now... blessings.

Ostomate & woundr

Even if you have a colostomy, a high output ileostomy bag can be a benefit. It runs down about 3/4 the way to my knee, but it does hold volume. Typically, they're only available in a two-piece, which is beneficial if you have formed stool. If you were liquidy at all, I would highly recommend them. I use Coloplast and can provide anybody who is interested with the product numbers. I also have Convatec product numbers because when I was younger, that product was the only one that would stick to me. I was an ostomy nurse for 8 years before I became a permanent ileostomate.

Reply to Ostomate & woundr

Wow

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Mabsie Moll
Reply to Drnjm

I have only just caught on to that too 9 months on Drnjm!! But to be fair, it is all learning about the new way our body works. That said, I am due for reversal next month, and from the previous post by Caros, it seems you're never out of the woods with Crohn's/Colitis IBS! Thank God, and all the deities for MaO! Your advice and knowledge is a fantastic resource!&zwj