Totally off topic question....

In this discussion
Replies
Views
budd002
This is totally off topic and a very odd and strange request. I have my best friends sister in Perth Australia right now. She has gone there to try and help with the situation with the floods and such, problem is she is basically on her own for assistance on where to stay or who can help her find a place to stay. I guess the organization she assumed had things set up for her when she got there were wrong. She spent the night last night basically wandering around Perth. Tomorrow she wants to look for work but really has no where to start or even KNOW where to start.

She is one of these save the world girls, 24. Went to save turtles a few years ago, works on Canada at a resort for Canada Parks, no criminal record, really a good girl.

can anyone in or close to Perth please message me and let me know if there is a place she can contact to help her find a place, or if there are any families that take in people etc...

Thanks so much!!

Sharry
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,093 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Jojoslife
im in W.A if ya friend is still in need contact me !!
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member
I'm sorry but she sounds a bit suspect to me.

Why on earth did she come to Perth, Western Australia when the floods are on the other side of the country on the east coast in Queensland, New South Wales and now Victoria, all states at least a 4 to 5 hour plane ride from here?!

To arrive in a country when you have no idea where the natural disaster is, with no visible means of support, seems odd.
budd002
Apparently they wouldn't allow this group to land any closer...They were supposed to make their way to the other side from Perth. Nice to see this organization she signed up with was nice enough to leave her to fend for herself.

Nothing to be skeptical about regarding this girl...I'm more skeptical about this organization she actually gave her money to, to arrange for her to assist....they have given her ZERO information.

It's not like she woke up one day and said I'm going to hop on a plane adg go rip off people in Australia...think about it....
budd002
Thank you everyone that has sent me information on where she can get assistance. I have sent it onto her and hope she is able to get online to check her email.

Sharry

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Nicky-T
She can stay with us until she gets straightened out. We are in western AKRANSAS. (That's in the U S of A).

Sorry to sound as if I'm being mean, but she really CAN stay with us if she wanted to. It isn't THAT much further away than she already is, eh.
Lizz
Nice to see healthy skepticism is alive and well and living on this site. I'd give more credence to this story if the 'organisation' that let this woman down , and the nature of the help she expected to be able to give was explained! She could, of course, come and stay with me too - in the event of any natural disaster around North Yorkshire. Maybe there'll be something for her to do closer to home in the future. I do hope she learns something from this exercise. All the best.
KennyT
Actually if she has nothing to do she could head over here to New South Wales and take care of my ironing and washing up. Sometimes when I look at my kitchen I could swear it is a natural disaster so she will be carrying out the duties she came here for.

Ken.
sunasea
I am of no help, but I pray she is safe where she is, would not want anything to happen to her. I have a 23 year old daughter in college myself. God bless her for the help she treis to bring people and I hope god blesses her and keeps her sae.
budd002
To everyone that was actually nice enough to offer information (as that is what I needed) Thank you. I have passed on the addresses and phone # you have so graciously sent. She has been in contact with the red Cross and several shelters that have space for her to stay and have accepted her help as they are thankful and trusting unlike some. I wouldn't think twice about looking up a phone # or address in my country and area for someone that was stiffed and only wanting to help. She will be staying over there until at least may and has been given the opportunity to even stay until next Feb. If people had of read the first post and seen it for what it was all I was asking for was information not a roof, not money nothing but leads on who she can contact. People really need to stop all this miss trust and have faith in people for a change, maybe the world would be a happier place if they would. Again to those that sent the information THANK YOU, for those of skepticism and distrust, get over it. Not everyone is out to get you, maybe your just paranoid.
KennyT
I am not too sure that criticizing the people who questioned this episode is entirely fair to tell you the truth Budd. To be brutally honest with you I sat back when I read your initial post and wondered, 'What the hell is that all about?'. It is one of the strangest things I have ever heard of and I would be lying if I did not say I find the whole story unbelievable.

But I would balk at questioning other peoples lack of trust based on your initial post which only paints a picture of complete confusion, not only on the part of the said organisation but also on the part of your friend. It was not a point of people questioning integrity as opposed to stupidity I suspect.

Ken
tarababy
Hi Bud,seems this site still brings out the boxing gloves....but I have to agree with Kenny T....Anyway..really hope your young friend has a great time here now she has got things sorted out..Id be asking questions to the lot that took her money and didnt give anything in return...Like a place to stay and so forth...Such a shame as aussies really are a friendly-give-the-shirt-off-their-backs kinda people...And its probably because of that..we end up being a bit suspect on things..You know?! Believe what we hear then find out we just got conned...So...nothing personal I'm sure....But something is a bit suspect and I'm thinking its with that company...And on another angle...I'm right in the cyclone path and if she wants to help the needy after a natural disaster....and see the reef(Great Barrier Reef)..its at my front door..There would be the cleaning up of the aftermath of any up-coming cylones and or floods...She would have her work cut out for her thats for sure...LMAO....Sorry couldnt help myself,again..I'm gone
budd002
All I was in need of was contact information for places that could steer her in the right direction. I didn't realize that some people would read so deep into it and make it sound like she wasin the wrong and trying to pull a fast one. She wasn't and isn't. She is in a strange country and had no idea of what organizations were available there. Granted the people that arranged or her to go and help out should be questioned as these type of groups usually have plans set out for those that come to aid in any sort of relief.
It just bothers me that people question a request for information, phone #'s etc. I didn't think it was that much of a burden for someone in Australia to open their phone book to look up a phone number or address and pass it on. I did not ask for a roof over her head, simply contact information. I've often looked up information for people online to try and help them out and I think nothing of it. Just one person helping another.
budd002
UPDATE (for those who were concerned.)

My friend has found an apartment and a full time job. She will be there for at least until May. Everything worked out even better for her this way than if she had of ended up staying with the group she was supposed to be with.
KennyT
I am still confused?? Why does she have a full time job if she came here to help out with flood victims?

I am still no clearer than I was at the start of this thread.
budd002
They left her high and dry. A job opportunity came up, she took it...
Past Member
BUDD, this is my first reply to this thread,

But like Kenny, I am thinking that this girl really has her priorities out of whack. In the first place brfore you can "save the world" you must be in a position of at least taking care of your self. I hate to sound cruel but if she has any pace to "return
to she should do so and try to get on with her life.

Maybe some Thorasan?
budd002
The way I see it is she went there with the best of intentions. To help people that needed it. She ended up getting screwed over but managed to turn a bad situation into a positive one, if not for the people effected by the floods then for herself and the people she is now working for. She has what she has said is a great apartment over looking the river and her roommate is great. She is meeting a bunch of new friends and glad she didn't just give up and run home like alot of people would have.

I for one am pretty proud that she stuck it out and managed to make her situation turn around and didn't just give up. All that matters is she is safe, has a means of supporting herself and a place to live, all accomplished in a strange country all by herself.

The group she was supposed to be with has been contacted and sadi they would "get" "her but she said forget it, I'm better off without you since they left her alone the first time.