Seeking Non-Narcotic Solutions for Crohn's Abdominal Pain

In this discussion
Replies
Views
shl3610

I have had a complete colostomy completed in April of 2010. Since then, I have been taking Dilaudid to help alleviate the pain that I feel in my abdomen. My gastroenterologist says it is because of the Crohn's disease, and when it acts up, it decreases the size of my small intestine to pass anything. I know that Dilaudid doesn't hurt any organs, but it is a pain in the ass to take it all the time. Does anyone have any suggestions on what to do to help alleviate abdominal pain from Crohn's without the use of narcotics?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

santabelle

I have an ileostomy, but I find that what helps is diet and lots of fluid. I also try to exercise as often as possible. Pain is not a good thing, trust me, I know. I have suffered with severe Crohn's disease my whole life and will continue forevermore. Meditation might be something you might want to look into as well...

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
shl3610

Thanks Santabelle. I will try to incorporate more exercise into my routine. As far as diet is concerned, it is so hard to figure out the right diet that I need for my Crohn's. Currently, I would like to completely clean myself out and start fresh, but what do you take when you have no colon or rectum!

lottagelady

Hiya - the only thing that I can think may help would be Buscopan (Hyoscine), an anti-spasmodic which does work pretty well when cramping etc, or the other thing worth googling perhaps is LDN (Low Dose Naltrexone) and its use in Crohn's disease.

Hope that info is of some use, and you can manage to reduce your pain!

Rach xxxx

Past Member

Has anyone tried medical marijuana? Does it help? Is it available in other countries - legally? Several states have legalized it but I don't know anything about the specifics. I have also wondered about growing it for personal medical use. Are there permits for such things.

My pain is from causes other than ostomy. I am interested in pain relief without resorting to narcotics. Narcotics slow the gut and cause constipation so I doubt significant relief without creating output problems.

I would like to hear about what has helped with pain for other people. If my grandmother were still around, I would ask about folk medications.

dawneagle

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Medicinal cannabis

I just found this topic on tips