Leg Cramps

In this discussion
Replies
Views
airforce1
does anyone have any remedyies for this really puzzling me
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,122 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

gutenberg
Greetings Airforce 1, hope by now your recovery is past the worst stages. As for the leg cramps, believe me I've had plenty, hopping around on one foot just swearing a blue streak until one day my daughter had dropped in for a visit and told me what to do. At first I thought it was bull but after trying it out I now do it all the time,
It doesn't matter if you're standing or sitting all you have to do is point your toes towards your nose and hold it for a few seconds and give it a couple of more trys, It surely worked for me, hope you can get some relief from this simple exercise and you don't have to take off your shoes, just try to point those toes towards your head, nose, whatever, Ed
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
butterfly48
Yes that does work - I found taking magnesium, calcium and even potassium sometimes
will help not get these cramps. Also too minerals. Good Luck Butterfly48
Xerxes
Airforce,

In general, cramping of a muscle is due to an eletrolyte imbalance such as too little potassium. This will occur in the summer time with excessive sweating. Try a good diet of gatorade or pedialyte.

X_
Past Member
Yep,

and the simplest soloution of all EAT BANANAS, lots of BANANAS

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
airforce1
thanks heaps for you replys
junopete
Airforce

I suffered from extreme leg and hand cramps for years. There were nights where I would be awaken with both legs cramped up. I felt like I was trying to walk on two stumps.
The pain was out of this world.
I tried all of the home remedy's, Banana's, dill pickle juice, vinegar the list goes on. The Dill Pickles juice seemed to help a few times.

I finally had enough and went to the doctor. He prescribed "Methocarbamol" 750 MG.
They work like a charm. Do, to my chopped up stomach, I almost have a direct line to the small intestine. So it only takes these pills minutes to do their majic.

As I said I my cramping was very extreme. Mostly at night.

Good luck

Rick.....
ron in mich
hi all i drink v-8 vegetable juice on a regular basis and that seems to help me avoid leg cramps. ron in mich.
pussycat
Hi there, I have had my stoma on and off for 7 years with the nightmare cramps that occur especially at night, leaving me walking around the house for hours. I tried all the usual
and then a young female doctor prescribed me quinine to take before bed, apart from an occassional, mild in comparison, twinge, it has WORKED!!!!!! for the last 6 months. I hope it can work for all you fellow sufferers,
regards
pussycat,
by the way, I am female !
Past Member
Pussy cat;

Send some to us in ther USA...They took it offour market all over the US
Ken in San Jose
My leg cramps are always caused by dehydration (reduced circulation). Drinking water cures them, usually in 15 minutes. For an even faster fix, try lots of strong peppermint. (It shuts down digestion, diverting more blood to the legs. This fix wears off in 5 minutes, but that may be enough time for the water to work.)
Past Member
airforce1: I have also been plagued with nighttime leg cramps. One of my docs, through lab work, discovered I was very low in vitamin D; so I am on a 3month heavy perscription dose, followed up by 2000 iu a day. My leg cramps have disappeared. I take 50,000 every week for 3 months and then the lesser dose.
I also drink lots of water and Propel, which is made by Gatorade, so that hasn't helped me at all.

Good luck,
airforce1
brought some quince to cook trying that and got some spray from the health shop
Jax
Hi, I also have restless legs and what I did was use those horrible white socks (compression) that you get in hospital and wear them. No problems when I use them. Hope you sort it out.
JAx