Back to Reality: My Return to Work Journey!

In this discussion
Replies
Views
honeybblunt

Well, I've finally taken my first step to a return to reality and there's no turning back now. I decided I couldn't wait for my wounds to heal, it's not that I'm impatient...well, okay maybe I am just a little!!...but more that if I spent another day in my four walls, I swear my brain would have turned to jelly....so last Tuesday, I returned to work. Smelly, rude, teenage boys who have no intention of even trying to learn....my god, you've no idea how much I have missed them!! I am supposed to do a phased return but just couldn't help myself and worked the full day....OMG!! Completely knackered, too tired to even cook my own daughter her tea, zonked on the settee, she woke me up at almost 10 o'clock....note the little monkey knows her bedtime is 8:30pm!!....she pulled a fast one there!! Anyway, HR have gone ballistic that I've broken the terms of my phased return...something about them not being insured...silly me, for a moment I thought they may have actually been concerned about me!!! Anyway, I was frogmarched off the school premises at 2pm today and told to only work four hours a day next week!!!!....come on, what can you get done in four hours?!! Anyway, it feels good.....really good.....life returning to normal, maybe I am still normal after all! And I've realized that outside of the bubble that I've been living in for the last 7 months, life exists, all the same problems, all the same stresses, all the same fun, all the same friends, all the same pleasures in life...so now I'm thinking how good it feels to still be alive

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,102 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hi Honey, well done you at least you have got out of the four walls. Tired? Yes, you will be, but at the end of the day, you did good. Teaching teenage boys... girl, you need a medal. My son had learning problems. I worked hard in keeping him going onwards to college, and he made it and got good grades. He had lots of good teachers and one-to-one help. I'm so grateful for that. I'm sure now you have taken the step back to work, things will get better for you, even though you're feeling so tired. Good luck, tc ambies...

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Rizzo

Hi honey, please be careful. I was the same as you. I was so bored at home I went back to work with three weeks left on my sick note...now I've gotta have another op to fix the hernia I got. I never felt anything, but I must have caused it myself by thinking I knew better than the doctors! Please take care...Bob.

MrsO

Hi honey, well done on going back to work. Isn't it good to get back to normal? I understand you being frustrated about doing a phased return. Mine lasted four days before I cracked and stayed at work all day! Make sure you're careful though, take care. Love, Mrs. O xx

Bill
Hello honeybblunt,What a lovely story. Thank you so much for sharing it. As already mentioned - please be careful as to what and how much you do. It is often the case that untoward things happen when you are just beginning to get tired but haven't yet noticed it for yourself. If there had been more teachers like you when I was at school, I may not have ended up with such a jaundiced view of them. I do understand the concept of young pupils not appearing to want to learn. The main reason for my leaving the role of senior university lecturer was that a ten-year old came into my session one day and showed them all what 'wanting to learn' was all about. It thus dawned on me that most of my PhD. students were only there for the bit of paper that would say that they had passed the test. My resignation went in at the end of that term and I proceeded to seek out people who genuinely wanted to learn for themselves. Interestingly, these turned out to be people who were deemed as mentally disordered by the rest of society. We surely live in a peculiar world!Best wishesBill

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
DH

Hi Honeyblunt. It must feel great to get back to work and a normal life. I am looking forward to doing the same. I am starting to go stir crazy from boredom. But I don't have too much longer to go. The first thing I am going to do is celebrate. That bottle of white zinfandel in the fridge has been calling my name. Good luck with your job! Donna

Past Member

First day back at work, oh wow, how I remember mine, the apprehension etc. It was a turning point and new chapter. The beginning of the rest of my healthy life and all that stuff. I am happy for you, Honey, but do listen to what the others have said about one step at a time. You have just come through major surgery and you are doing a phased return for a good reason. Just take one step at a time and you will be back to your old self soon enough. TC-DD

Past Member

Hi honey! I'm the same after surgery, you can get so bored at home and it's a temptation to rush things. You probably know when you've pushed it too hard, so just take it easy when you do! Drop me an email if you fancy chatting, it's on my profile page, or catch me in the chatroom. You live pretty local to me, so it would be nice to get to know someone close by! Catch you soon. Steve x