New Diagnosis: Emotional Instability Disorder (EID) evolving into Borderline Personality Disorder (BPD)

Replies
Views
noodlepip

After years of being told I was 'clinically depressed', my most recent psychiatrist has given me a new diagnosis.

She said that it often begins as depression, and evolves into 'Emotional Instability Disorder', which then becomes Borderline Personality Disorder. At first I had EID that was rapidly becoming BPD, but now I'm about 70% BPD. Apparently after school finishes I have to go to Cognitive Behavioural Therapy for a year and a half, it's some intensive course of it. Every day, 4 hours a day.

In one way, it's kind of a relief. After a definite diagnosis I was allowed to hear all of the symptoms, and there's some comfort in knowing the actual reason I am this way. Especially since you can actually recover from it 100%, all you have to do is work your sorry little butt off. Worth it in the end I guess.

But that's one thing I'm ashamed to admit, and can only do so now as I can't see any of you people, there's a fairly substantial part of me that doesn't really WANT to recover. It's an awful thing to say, but it gives me something unusual to hold on to. A twist in me that no one I know has. Plus it definitely helps with my writing, an over-exaggerated range of emotions and manic panics make for good reading.

I know what everyone'll say about that, there'll be some angry people and some with that classic line "You are not your illness", but I just thought I'd let you know what's up. Or more I just needed to get it out somewhere. I've told my boys, but I don't feel like anyone else NEEDS to know. Except my family obviously, who do know.

If anyone has/had/knows someone with BPD or EID, gimme a shout. I don't pay for this so if you want, do mail me! :D

4am

Bon Nuit!

Noodlepip

xx

mooza

Interesting noodlepip. Hmmm, I think I will leave my sillys alone. Kinda works for me. I feel I'm allowed manic panics, not fun. I have had them. Attacks. Was told to get help!!! Whateva! Good luck. Is that free? Dunno. Psychologist needs help, not me. Yeah, spelling's crappy. Hahahah.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,361 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill
Hello noodlepip,You ask if anyone knows someone with these conditions. Personally I don't know of anyone without the symptoms. I would be happy to talk to you about it sometime but I am being called away now to do the weekly shopping.Best wishesBill
Past Member

Hiya noodle. Where have you been? I've never heard of these conditions, sorry, but do us a favor. Do all your sessions and get yourself better. I'm sure your writing will improve when how you're feeling improves. Hope you're okay, buddy. :-)

DH

Hi Noodle, one of my best friends has bipolar disorder, and one of my sister's friends has BP. Both of them are on medications to control both their manic episodes and depression. And they seem to be doing well with the meds. I hope you get better. Let us all know how you make out. And don't be ashamed of it. Millions of people suffer from the disorder. You are not crazy. You have a chemical imbalance in your brain that could be controlled with medication. Good luck,

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Hi Noodle, as DH says you're not crazy and there are lots like you, I do hope you receive the help you need. Good luck, my best wishes to you. Ambies.

Past Member

Hey noodle. Just thought. I once knew a bear who liked both male and female bears. He was bipolar. :-)

Past Member

Lol, I like it Gizmo... Ha ha...

Bill
Hello Noodlepip,I sounds as if you present psychiatrist has a good grasp of what is involved in the progression of this condition - 'IF' (and only 'IF') it progresses down that route. You are very fortunate to be offered appropriate help at your age. CBT is ,as its title implies, a 'cognitive' approach rather than a medication based treatment. CBT is far more likely to enable you to find the right track for you. Everyone suffers from emotional instability at some time or another. the trick is to develop the techniques in order to manage the seemingly unmanageable. once these skills are mastered the condition is no longer a 'disorder'. Most creative people have various forms of emotional instability at times and they use it to very good effect in their creative efforts. This condition can be an asset if it is brought under your own control. Hopefully, CBT will help you in this regard. The more your work at it the more you will benefit from it. I hope you will share some more of your creative writing on this site so that we might share in your experiences of developing your own personality. Very best wishesBill
StarUK

I find it interesting that this diagnosis, which mostly women end up with. I have worked in mental health for too many years to count. You may well have BPD, but I find I am suspicious of a lot of diagnoses. I can understand your need to hang on to something, after all, you have lived with all these negative feelings for a lot of years. A diagnosis is an acknowledgement and we all need that. Trish

SPB

Yes, I've been diagnosed with BPD. I had cancer as a young child with multiple surgeries and chemotherapy. Growing up, I had symptoms of PTSD. At about 14, I started having problems with depression. The symptoms of BPD didn't begin until late 20s. They have become more severe with time. I've undergone basically no therapy. I've seen several therapists, but after a few months, I quit attending sessions. I find myself manipulating the discussions to derail them (a trait of BPD). I've been suggested to undergo inpatient treatment, but this isn't really my gig. For the past 15 years, I've been using my work as a form of treatment -- I work 60+ hours a week. I'm very successful in my career, but when I'm not sleep deprived and overworked, I have inclinations toward all self-destructive behavioral patterns of BPD. If you want to visit over email, I'm willing. I've not paid my dues, so you'll have to send me an email address where I can write you. Best, SPB

DH

I agree with StarUK, patients have been misdiagnosed as having bipolar disorder when in fact they might have a borderline personality disorder. I know someone who was diagnosed with BPD from one psychiatrist and then went to another psychiatrist who told her she did not have BPD, but she has borderline personality disorder. He said that personality disorders cannot be treated with meds. You can't change someone's personality. Maybe psychotherapy can help you control some of your mood swings. I hope you got the right diagnosis. If you are not sure, it may help to get a second opinion. Best wishes, Donna