From Misdiagnosis to Ostomy: My Journey to Better Health

Replies
Views
Franicaa
Primeboy

Too bad you had to go through so many trials and errors before you finally resolved your situation. The good news is that your experiences should contribute to overall medical knowledge and lead to improved practices. My GI doctor's office employs several research associates who constantly assemble patient data which are then aggregated into a national database. This information will lead to better diagnoses and correct interventions. In reading your blog, it seems as if the doctors who installed your J-pouch did not thoroughly examine your internal landscape before proceeding. I am glad you have adjusted so positively to your situation, and I hope others will benefit from your experiences. Good luck! PB

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,468 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Having read your blogs, I've always found them so interesting. It's good that you have let others know how things started, your trials, and your final outcome. What a courageous person you are, having dealt with life through rough and smooth. Wishing you more good health, happiness, and a Merry Christmas. Take care, Ambies.

Franicaa

Thank you for your comments! :) x

Past Member

Thanks for sharing, sweetheart. I hate that you've had to grow up so fast... but you've certainly done it with grace and determination. One can only imagine what the future holds for you. With such heart and sheer fortitude, the sky is the limit. We'll be proud to say, "We knew her when..." LOL

With pride and admiration, your buddy... BEG

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Another great post, Franicaa!! I think that many of our consultants/surgeons/experts could do with reading this as an insight into what the whole experience is like from a patient's perspective. Thankfully, I've not experienced anything like yourself but have learned so much by reading the likes of these blogs. Once again, thanks for sharing!! Best wishes for Christmas and may 2012 hold better days! Take care, Colm

Franicaa

Thank you, guys! It's great to know that I'm interesting and not boring and that I'm not alone on this site. X

Past Member

Thanks Franicaa, I've just read your blog and I hope you keep going and do well. I'm at my wits' end with my ileostomy, and reading your blog has given me some insight as to what I can expect if I have the reversal. Take care, love, and have a good Christmas xx

Franicaa

Hoping you have a lovely Christmas too! But please, what happened in my case, I was told happens in less than 1% of people who get the J-Pouch, so it's very unlikely, but obviously, there's always that risk!

Past Member

Thanks Franicaa. I'm at my wits' end and really scared. I'm regretting telling the surgeon to go ahead and do the surgery. He told me I needed it as my large colon was damaged beyond repair. I now wish I had asked for a second opinion, but I was only going to the loo about twice a month and it hurt to go. Now I'm just not accepting the bag at all. Maybe I'm okay for the reversal, I'm not sure. I'll ask him about the J-pouch or some way of doing it, as the output at the moment is just watery all the time. It's never solid, but I'm told that's due to the large colon being removed. Anyway, many thanks for your reply. Good luck. Love.

Carolw

Oh Franicaa, your story will help so many people who are going through a lot of pain and suffering. I had 2 years of it, woke up with a temporary colostomy but still had a lot of pain. So six months later, I had to have a permanent one. Since that op, I have been pain-free. It was hard to deal with for a while as I couldn't accept it, now I forget I have it some days. Good luck with your future, have a lovely pain-free Christmas and a happy New Year 2012 xxxxxxxxxxx

needcrew

I think you are a very wise young girl and I pray that God takes your dreams as far as you can go. I just started this site and I am enjoying reading and I have a lot to learn too. This is very encouraging for me. Thank you all.... Merry Christmas to all....Love Sherie

annie girl

Hi, I'm new to this. My sister has a stoma for life. It's only been 4 weeks and she is finding it very hard. The bag seems to leak because of her weight loss and she can't seem to eat anything without being in pain. Is this normal? She can eat Scotch finger biscuits, but can't eat them forever. LOL.

Steve8906

You are awesome, Mutley :) I know you've had a really rough time these last couple of years, but you've dealt with it so well. So glad you're pain-free and happy and getting back on schedule with life now, babe. I've got some good news and banter for you, so I'll text you tomorrow :) Xx