For me and maybe you.

That list became my way of life.

And proof of love proclaims.

For you became my loving wife.

Because you shared these aims.

B. Withers 2011

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,092 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hi Bill, that was beautiful. Thank you for sharing it, Ambies.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

I have watched many people enthralled with the feeling of falling, and when the falling stops, they believe it is all over and move on to the next thrall... the next fall. Thanks, Carol

Past Member

Oh, but the falling is wonderful, though not always worth it, I agree. I have to admit I prefer it to companionship, my dog plays that role. Now, companionship in addition to enthralled, that works!!! LOL

Past Member

How long has it been? It will be interesting to know if the thrall is still there in 4 or 5 years. One good friend makes about one year. If my magic wand were near, I would give you thrall but I guess it will be up to the two of you. It seldom lasts but other really good things can follow. So, I wish you good things.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member

Thank you for your wishes, buddy. No magic wand required, LOL. You're right, your partner may not take your breath away always, but if you're lucky.....they'll be your inspiration to breathe always......BEG

Past Member

I did have it for 25 years... divorced in '88 after 28 years of marriage - 4 kids - many grandchildren. We still provide 'inspiration'... breath for each other. 'Deepest love always' - more than many ever have - no longer marriage kind - I don't try and explain it. Much more than friends. Trust was lost. We were each freed to do and experience other things. We're in one of our homes - duplex - he and his lady have half - me the other. Works. My caregiver.

Primeboy

Life, like everything else, comes in stages; so, why shouldn't love? I was thinking of Frank Sinatra's hit song: "When I Was 17". As the narrator of that song grew in age, he really didn't mature, did he? It was all about scoring with increased sophistication. Falling in love has little to do with remaining in love or growing as a person. It's just a beginning. Companionship is a key component. Having each other's back comes in there, too, somewhere at the top. Allowing each other to become our own person can help immensely. The fireworks that come with infatuation are marvelous; but, let's face it, they are only a starting point on a long and hopefully happy journey.

Bill
Thank you all for your comments.This was not the easiest of poems to compile, especially as my wife (of 44yrs) will no doubt be reading it at some time. In my case there were few fireworks or infatuation to kick-start the relationship. It was based on working together in the service of others, friendship, mutual compatability, and shared aims. The concept is one of the continuous 'growth' of a love that increases in quality, strength and stability over time. It is also about a relationship that is appreciated incrementally with the passing of the years.I hope that everyone can experience that type of relationship at some time in their lives. Best wishes Bill
Primeboy

Well said, Bill; but don't wait too long before sharing this with your wife. Valentine's Day is around the corner. This type of communication will go a long way in supporting the continuous growth you speak about.

Bill
Thanks Primeboy,With this type of relationship I feel confident that we don't have to wait for a designated day like Valentine's day to express how we feel. Best wishes Bill
Primeboy

Xerxes, I heard it said that Shakespeare expressed every human feeling and thought somewhere in his vast collection. Check out Sonnet 116 where he talks about the marriage of true minds. It's Bill's poem at the start of this thread that has the sonnet-like ring to it.

Past Member

Lovely Bill .... I just came across this. I told Miss Kitty not to ever say "I love you" because it might ruin the whole thing. I like you a lot is OK ... I guess lol
I'm going to cut and paste your love post and send it to her ... see what she makes of it. She is a speech therapist so she's into language and words. Thanks Bill for all your wonderful words of wisdom ... always valued, always cherished.
You're a keeper Bill!! Later Dude

Bill
Hello magoo.
Goodness! you must have been trawling a long way back to have found this one. Anyway, thanks a lot for the appreciative comments.
As you can imagine, I always had problems and pain associated with emotional love and hence the poem. However, telling someone you don't love them is a bit like a REJECTION so I did investigate what would be a more productive alternative approach. I came up with some results from my research into people's relationships with their pets, which they assured me was one of the best, lasting relationships we could ever have. I distilled my results into a 'list', which I called my 'AIMS FOR TODAY' monitor. This is used regularly, because it has the potential for tracking whether I am doing well at the relationship or if I am falling short in some way (I have it on a score sheet from 1-10 on each item.)
My marriage has lasted over 50 years so we must be doing something right!
Although I use the 'AIMS for today' to guide all my other relationships as well.

AIMS FOR TODAY:
AFT HIT 'N' MISS MONITOR
1. To BE - THERE
2. To be CONSISTENT
3. To be HONEST, GENUINE & SINCERE
4. To be NON-JUDGEMENTAL
5. To LISTEN: Empathetically
6. To keep things CONFIDENTIAL
7. To ENABLE & EMPOWER (DIY process)
8. To show POSITIVE REGARD (unconditional)
9. To show RESPECT for INDIVIDUALITY
FEELINGS & NEEDS
10. To FOCUS CARING (according to my principles)

I've enjoyed you recent posts very much.
Best wishes
Bill