A Fresh Start: Embracing My Ostomy Journey

Replies
Views
alagalo13

Hello ostomates!

I'm new to this site but it's very refreshing to see all the people on here who have experienced the same things as me. For my New Year's resolution, I have decided to start being more honest with myself. I'm 24 years old and have an ileostomy! There, I feel better already! Well, I guess here is my story. I was born with cloacal and bladder exstrophy. If you don't know what this is, the best way I can describe it is that when you're born, some of your intestines, colon, and sometimes bladder (like in my case) are on the outside of your body and have not developed properly. I was helicoptered to the University of Michigan hospital and was there for about 3 months until I got to come home. The doctors made me a permanent ileostomy, and I also had bladder reconstruction surgery and have to catheterize. Throughout my life, I've had many surgeries, and for the last 12 years, my surgery has been mostly vaginal reconstruction surgery so I could have sex normally. And this summer, I had surgery to take out a blockage in my kidney.

I have led a very normal life with tons of friends and a great family, but for some reason, I have always hidden this part of me from my friends. I feel like I'm in a place in my life right now where I'm very comfortable in my own skin. I've been doing lots of online research, and it's nice to see a group like this.

I know I'm going to meet some fantastic people on here, and if anybody has any questions for me, I've had my ostomy forever, so maybe I can help you out :)

Mrs.A

Great testimony to the Lord. Welcome to the site! As I like to remind newcomers, we have a general chat room. Please stop in. There you can chat with whoever is in the room in real time. I find it more helpful every visit.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,476 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

alagalo13

Thanks for the welcome :)

IHateColons

I know how you feel about hiding it! I couldn't stand it anymore! I just had to tell my secret lol. I'm glad you found this site! I'm sure you're a pro at dealing with your ostomy by now but it's still great to chat with people who are going through some of the same things. Join the General Chat every now and then. There's usually somebody in there who loves to talk :-)

Past Member

Welcome to the site, Alagalo. I hope you find the site interesting. There are always interesting stories to read from others, and you're right, maybe you could find yourself helping others. I had ileostomy when I was 17, and still learning new things each day. Look forward to seeing your blog more in the future. Take care, Ambies.

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

Welcome! Nice chatting with you. Hope to do so again :) Barbara

mermaid

Well done and happy 2013! I've had my ileostomy since 1986 and had a great life. Struggling a little with menopause and feeling unwell at the moment. I've got kidney stone stuff going on sometimes, but just try to keep on going so still work full time. Just hoping to find a way to feel better in 2013... Weight makes a difference to all conditions, so that's going to have to be sorted. I'm a size 16-18 and some say just be happy and glad you can live your life, but I feel I need to get back in control so would appreciate help to stay on track!

jenepooh

Welcome! So very nice to meet you! This is a great place with wonderful people who support each other! :D

alagalo13

Thanks for the warm welcomes!

J.J.

Hiya!! and Welcome =) Wishing you many positive things this new year!! Being honest with yourself makes it easier to be honest with others! The people that truly love you will stick by you... the ones that have issues with your honesty aren't worth it! Good luck! =)

Jknee4

Hi there :) My son also was born with cloacal exstrophy and has an ileostomy (currently 7 years old). It is wonderful to read a little about you and how you are doing and successfully living your life :) We also go to U of M for appointments, follow-ups, etc. If you are ever in the area of Ann Arbor or Downriver (south of Detroit), please feel free to look us up!! Would love for my son to meet an adult who has undergone so much (like him) and is successfully living her life with confidence and grace. Best wishes to you and hope everything is going great. Thank you for sharing!!