Survivors

In this discussion
Replies
Views
About
This topic provides support and advice for individuals living with an ostomy, sharing experiences and tips for overcoming challenges.
Bill
SURVIVORS.

Once you have knocked at death’s dark door

you know there is no guarantor.

So those who struggle to survive

appreciate that they’re alive.

For those who’ve been exposed to death

‘life’ becomes a shibboleth.

From personal experience

you know there is no permanence.

If you’ve faced death but don’t succumb

you build a will to overcome.

You get to know what life can mean

from where you go and what you’ve seen.

Facing death can be a scare

but it can make you more aware.

When once your life’s been given back

you’ll tend to get that life on track.

Sure, you’ll have a scar or two

to show how you have become you.

They are the proof that you have strived

against the odds and yet survived

You’ll contemplate mortality

and your potentiality.

You start to ponder everything

and wonder what your life might bring.

And if you’re wise you’ll look ahead

to use the time before you’re dead

to do the things you wanted to

and make sure what you wish comes true.

B. Withers 2013

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,090 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

flying free

Hi Bill, I agree 100% with you. Everything looks so much clearer and lots of the silly things we worried about before are not important anymore! When you have been really sick and made a recovery, the mist clears from your life and we enjoy every important minute. Kay AKA Flying Free

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill
Hello Kay. Thank you for your response to 'survivors' as it means a lot to to me to get feeback on these types of verses. I feel sure there are huge numbers of people who have 'survived' in one way or another but that doesn't prevent us from experiencing a deep-down feeling that we are unique and that the experience has entitled us to join an exclusive bonding with all those others who have 'survived'. Best wishes Bill
garfish

Remember, tomorrow is promised to no one.

Bill
Hello garfish. That's so true and it seems to get more so as we get older.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
WOUNDED DOE

I love this so much, I'm lost for more words....

Bill
Thank you Wounded Doe it means a lot to me to receive such comments and it is so true that it's not the quantity that counts, it's the quality. This is particularly so with words that connvey emotions. Best wishes Bill
garfish

The option of getting older is not pleasant. To quote from Catch-22, "I want to live forever or die trying."

garfish

Not sure what all that means but life's a prick then you die.

Bill
That's about right!!
flying free

No, that's so negative. Life's for living and then you die. But life is what you make of it and how you deal with certain issues that are thrown at you. Only go down this road once!

garfish

It's that truth that will set you free to do what makes you happy. Remember the snowball theory?

Bill
I was under the impression that the saying was 'life's a sh-t and then you die' which might possibly be appropriate for me as an ostomate. However, I think I like flying free's version best.Okay garfish -- I'm probably a sucker - but what is the snowball theory?
flying free

Me as an ostomate too, I'd rather deal with the difficult situation I have now than to have died. LOL!

flying free

Ps, what is the snowball theory? I know the one about rolling stones gathering no moss. In other words, if you keep moving, you stay alive, yes?

garfish

It was actually "Life's a bitch" but I didn't want to offend any of the fairer sex. The snowball theory is that in 10,000 years, the next ice age will be here, New York under 2 miles of ice, so nothing we do now will matter. Eat, drink, and be merry for tomorrow we may die. Yes, live life to the fullest. Don't worry, be happy. And pray the next asteroid they don't see misses us.

flying free

I will be happy until it hits and won't know much about it anyway. I think most of us are happy (to be here at all is brilliant). Take care.

ron in mich

We're all survivors even after we die because we survived a shit storm of surgeries and life with the bag, and I've done a lot of living in my 28 years of having a bag.

Bill
I thought the saying was The Rollings Stones don't give a toss and They have to keep moving to stay alive. --- Just joking Mick! 10,000 years! Somehow I don't think I will survive that long. However, the meteorite I might just see as the seem to appear just when nobody's watching. A bit like ostmies!And Ron - your spot on!Best wishes Bill
beautifullyblessed

I'm sorry, I thought I commented on this a long time ago... I opened my site just to read these encouraging words, Bill... Thanks a million... My favorite words of my life right now, as God has blessed me with a second chance to live this thing called life and do it right, are: LIVE, LOVE, and LAUGH... Much blessing to you all!!!!

Bill
Hello beautifullyblessed. It is so heartwarming to open my emails and find your encouraging comments in which you remind us to 'do it right'.I'll bear that in mind as make my way through today and the rest of this week.May you always be -- beautifully blessed.Bill
WOUNDED DOE

We love you, beautifully blessed. Stay mingling with us out here :):)

garfish

Any time you draw another breath, you survive.

Bill
Hello garfish. You are of course absolutely right. Unfortunately that's another thing I have trouble with, so they have given me a breathing machine to help me survive in this particular way. Actually it's one of the best little gadgets I have used so far and it has brought me a whole new 'quality' of life. Best wishes Bill