The Impact of Harmful Substances on Our Health: Denial and Trust in Medical Professionals

In this discussion
Replies
Views
thisgirlyisbusyliving

Why is it that instead of omitting certain known causes of chronic diseases, we choose to live in denial and continue consuming things that are known to cause havoc on our bodies? Then we put so much trust in our medical professionals, and they take care of us by prescribing us meds that treat our symptoms but cause us more side effects. We are only recently finding out about GMOs and pesticides in our foods, but all the other substances listed above have been known to cause major chronic health issues. We have turned our heads to the facts regarding the harmful side effects of these substances until it is too late to do anything about it. I have gone round and round with doctors telling me that Crohn's had nothing to do with what I ate and everything to do with the environment and genetics. As a matter of fact, every GI doctor I visited as a child and young adult expressed to me that Crohn's had nothing to do with my diet, which was full of boxed and processed foods, cheeseburgers, and pizza. Heck, I even used to say, "If it's in a box, Juli rocks." I have done a 180 when it comes to my diet. I am literally a food Nazi now, but I still mess up, knowing that these things are awful for me. I cringe when I hear people tell me we are all going to die one day, so do and eat what you enjoy. And also when I hear, "It is what it is." I think it is what you make it.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,092 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

WAB

Check out Food Babe. Lots of info on what is in your food... and what restaurants are serving.

http://foodbabe.com/

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
weewee

Yes, all the chemicals. It's hard to avoid. If you are able and have a green thumb, you can grow a lot in your house in buckets. Many need some sun, or if you have room in your yard, build a greenhouse. Then you can control a little better what you eat. I have chickens, and this year I am hoping to build my greenhouse. And yes, I live in a small city. Your meat is better when you find a partner to go in half and buy a farm-raised animal that doesn't dope their stock. You pay a little more, but way better taste. Or if you know of any hunter that doesn't want the meat, you can get it from them. Also, some give it away for the price of paying for the processing fees.

thisgirlyisbusyliving

Thanks for the help WAB! Very informative website! I added it to my bookmarks! :)

thisgirlyisbusyliving

Thanks for the tips, Weewee! I am going to check out a local co-op and hopefully get signed up.

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
thisgirlyisbusyliving

Thank you, Mike! I agree there are too many special interests influencing the literature!!

Bill
Great post! Thanks. I grow a lot myself and don't indulge in processed food very much. mainly because certain common preservatives have always upset my stomach. I think it is good to listen to other ostomates on what they find are 'problem' foods but it is down to each individual to experiment and establish what they can and cannot eat without coming to harm. Being sensitive to what our bodies are telling us is surely the key to finding out what we should avoid and being aware of what 'foods' are mildly addictive can help to make us wary of overdoing things like sugar, chocolate and other treats. Also there are the psychologically enticing things like advertising, peer pressure and fads, which draw people towards eating and drinking things they don't really need and can sometimes cause harm. For years I wondered why, occasionally I would start shaking as if I was suffering from Parkinsons disease. Then I stopped drinking tea and coffee and started drinking plain water instead and have never suffered those symptoms again. Apparently it was the caffeine content, but nobody tells you that it can have those sorts of effects.
Best wishes
Bill
weewee

Here is a simple rule: if it's in a store, it's got preservatives in it or on it. Here is a read for those that like to read and find out info. Some are natural and most are man-made. Here is the link: http://creativebioscience.com/blog/what-are-preservatives-the-good-the-bad-and-the-chemically-ugly/

Winnie The Pooh

The Food Babe is a fraud. She sells stuff at high cost which contains, under other names, the very chemicals and additives she rants about. She belongs to the same schools of bunkum as "Dr" Oz and Mercola. Here's one site that debunks her profitable nonsense: http://www.csicop.org/si/show/the_food_babe_a_taste_of_her_own_medicine

WAB

Sorry, Winnie the Pooh fame and influence... she made a few mistakes... is normal... nothing is perfect... and nothing is perfectly safe...

But she is doing the right thing... informing us to be careful... what they put in our food... is like Oprah... or Dr. Oz. You do not have to believe everything they say... and well, they have made mistakes also... so... Food Babe is trying to make us aware... and I agree with that... too many chemicals touch everything we eat these days... and most people would agree...

thisgirlyisbusyliving

Thanks WAB! I researched Food Babe too and it seems she didn't realize that a line of deodorant she backed had aluminum in it. Her site is very informational! I dig it!!