Are pets better companions than humans? Exploring the power of unconditional love.

Replies
Views
iMacG5

We've read so many beautiful stories about folks and their pets. So often, the love that went missing or might have never been what was really needed from a spouse, a child, sibling or just a good friend was discovered in a pet. How does this happen? We say a dog is a man's or woman's best friend. Why would a dog or a cat or a parrot or iguana or any creature with any number of legs, with or without wings be a better companion than a loving, caring, compassionate human being? A guy told me "That freakin cat is her first love. I'm next, I think". We say a pet's love might be unconditional yet our loved ones might work even harder to do everything in their power to make our lives better. They might love us, excuse us, ignore our faults (though some of us may have no faults). Too bad, the cocker poodle gets more appreciation. Maybe it's a communication thing. Except for the parrot, none of these creatures talk and the parrot only repeats what it hears from talking creatures; probably people and who knows what people might say. Maybe it's body language. Do iguanas raise their eyebrows when they are surprised or disagree with what we say? Does Puppy frown at us? Does Kitty drop its jaw in awe when we say something really stupid? Certainly, as smart as they may be, they never say something disappointing, disrespectful or flat out dumb. People do; not always intentionally. Usually, most folks try to offer nice replies to others. When one is hurting others usually attempt to offer comfort. Sometimes, one might be hurting so deeply there are just no words to offer comfort. One of the biggest mistakes is the, "I know how you feel" offering, "I feel your pain" or just "I feel yah" can cause replies like "NO YOU DON'T". And they are so right. Our pain is ours alone. No matter how similar our experience might be to anyone else's no one knows what we feel and how we feel it.
I'm not sure I'm getting anywhere with this. Spot! Here Spot! C'mear little guy. I need some love.

Mike

CharK63

What can I say? You nailed it! My little dog is always so happy to see me when I've only been gone a minute. She never makes me feel guilty and she's always by my side. Can never find a person to do all that I'm sure. My only complaint is she's a bed hog. All ten pounds of her gets me in contortions I can barely get up and walk some days! I just love her! 😍

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

nhtoatlanta

I have to admit, I like my dog more than most people. He's my companion and keeper of my secrets and my heart.

Past Member

Loved the line "No matter how similar our experience might be to anyone else's, no one knows what we feel and how we feel it." That is so right on! We're all unique that way. If anyone has a clue how you feel... it's Spot. Pets just know.

iMacG5

Hey Char, you'll probably be happy to give up a chunk of your bed for all you get in return. Thanks for the reply.
Respectfully,
Mike

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
iMacG5

Hi Nhtoatlanta. I don't share your feelings but you're certainly not alone. Maybe if I had a pet I'd feel differently. Thanks for your thoughts. Respectfully, Mike

dadnabbit

iMacG5
Pets offer us unconditional love and acceptance, something humans are incapable of offering to each other. Even when we screw up, our pets will come and love on us, without passing judgment. Their capacity for forgiveness is unlimited, no matter how often we make a mistake. If only we humans could do the same....
Peace

iMacG5

Hi Dadnabbit. I wonder where our permission to pass judgment came from. Permission to forgive is even more difficult to understand. Humans do what humans do or don't do. Beyond being a parent, guiding our children in what we believe to be the right direction, the responsibility and authority to judge and forgive is way more than I want for me. Thanks for your thoughts. Respectfully, Mike