Colonoscopy in stoma

In this discussion
Replies
Views
R

Anyone have experience with colonoscopy in stoma and rear-end at same time?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,098 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Justbreathe

Oh my - talk about overkill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
cee

All the colonoscopies I have had done since my surgery the doctor enters through the stoma.

patrickrichardson1946

i have had colonoscopy through stoma and rectum . i had etonox ( gas and air) during the procedure it was no big deal

Past Member

they typically do them one after the other, not two cameras at once. you also may have an option of anesthesia or no depending on what your dr needs to do. I go no anesthesia if I can so I don't lose an entire day of my life

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
AlexT

Go in one end and come out the other, kind of a 2fer1 deal.

R
Reply to patrickrichardson1946

Just more concerned about the prep. And very worried about getting to the hospital w/o a mess.

weewee

YES I DID thats how they found out i was a mess from hershsprung disease they thought it wasnt all removed when i was 22 months old and i had double barrel till i was fivethen 40 years later to test i still have it thru out whole intestine glad to see they are still practicing to be doctors and we get to teach them

R

Bad enough dealing with pancaking and pasty stool. I am totally grossed out at the thoughts of dealing with the prep.. How did you all deal with the prep? I envision sitting on the toilet for a straight 48 hours.

AlexT
Reply to R

No, you drink the concoction. You wait awhile. Your stomach starts gurgling. Then, it starts. Like a bad high school chemistry gone wrong, you'll start to get output. It's not constant, mine came out like a cup at a time and mostly water. That'll continue til you're done. Then, back to normal. Really no big deal. Just plan on being by a bathroom after drinking stuff and until you go in.

María

A mi me han hecho varias colonoscopias a través del estoma, me durmieron y no notas nada, cuando despiertas estas feliz con los efectos de la anestesia, no duele nada

Lorr

I just had a colonoscopy this morning and it was quite easy. General anesthesia, no discomfort. I wouldn’t be concerned about the colonoscopy. The prep was the difficult part. They no longer use that giant bottle of laxative - it’s a series of pills. But the output was large, sudden and intense - and can be overwhelming. I had no gradual warning about the flow. Just make sure you have whatever supplies you’re going to need handy and you will be fine.