Ostomy Memories Questions Time

In this discussion
Replies
Views
HenryM

CHRONOLOGICAL TIME IS A CONVENIENT FICTION.  It’s nothing more than the over-demanding clockhand, going round and round, like the moon.  We march to its beat because the people in charge are devoted to it, the teachers, the bosses, the ever-present supervisors.  The watches they wear on their wrists are their real hearts, running the lifeblood of everyday life.  You get demerits for tardiness, or you lose your job for not starting work “on time.”  Yet, in our essential selves, in our heads, our endless thoughts, we do not live chronologically.  We go backward and forward and sideways and diagonally.  Our reality is in our head, and it is not amenable to chronological control mechanisms.  We’re simply not always plodding forward like servants to some master clock.  That’s what memory and fantasy and hope and imagination and creativity are all about.  We have annual birthdays that have the role of denoting our chronological age, but is that how old you actually feel?  I have felt the same age for several decades now.  “We are always the same age inside,” wrote Gertrude Stein.  So I wear a watch because, in the outside world, people with whom I like to or have to associate want me to be there at a specified hour, but in my essential nonchronological self, I couldn’t care less what time it is.  

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

CrappyColon

I missed my birthday the year I started getting sick, and in my head, not sure why I've been off a year ever since. My husband thought I was joking the first year it happened, but then I cried when I realized I was a year older than I actually was. I still ask him sometimes or my brother or someone else's birthday. I can do a quick comparison in my head too. My one sister-in-law is two years younger than me, but for some reason, I tell her she's old and I'm not.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Ostomate & woundr
Reply to CrappyColon

I did that too except the right claimed the year but I didn't yet own. I was 59 telling everybody I was 60, so the year I actually turned 60, I had to be 60 again.

Justbreathe
Reply to Ostomate & woundr

Being 60 again would not be a bad thing... I'd love to be 60 two years in a row.

CrappyColon
Reply to Ostomate & woundr

I'm a year older than I "think" I am.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Justbreathe

"You run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking"

But then you are given the moon to enjoy.

TerryLT

I try not to be a slave to the clock, especially since I retired, but there is one clock I follow religiously, the one inside my stomach.

Terry