Preparing for Return to Work with Medical Accommodations

Replies
Views
Ostomy4life_22

Well, like I knew, my return to work is approaching. I'll be returning to work on April 10th. I'm nervous as heck because my job requires me to be on my feet all day. At least my doctor gave a letter that allows me to have longer than usual break and lunch time, just in case something happens and I need to take care of the issue, and frequent restroom breaks as well. I'll keep you all posted on how it goes for me, and if anyone has any advice for me, please feel free to share.

AlexT

Good luck. It's only a big deal if you make it one.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,470 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ostomy4life_22
Reply to AlexT

It's like my friend says it's all in the head

AlexT
Reply to Ostomy4life_22

A lot of it is. Make sure you have extra supplies nearby just in case. Otherwise, do what you do.

TerryLT

You won't need it, but good luck! As long as you are prepared, you will be fine.

Terry

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
William15

Hi Ostomy4life

It's great that your job is there for you, and that your medical team is in approval of you returning to work. It sounds like your job is important to you, and that you are motivated for the challenge of a return, but somewhat nervous about it - keep the motivation up!

Will

w30bob

Hi Ost,

Says in your profile that you have a colostomy. Folks on here do things like irrigation and use different foods to control their output that some with ileostomies can't. So I can't give you any tips on that. But if you can predict when you'll need to empty your bag, your days at work will be stress-free. So if you haven't already... ask the colostomates on here for some tips on controlling their output. Once you get control of your output... being on your feet all day will be a breeze and you won't think much about it.

;O)

Riva

You've got this. Don't let a pouch control who you are.

wes.stophel

I'm new to this but I have a friend of mine that's just now been over a year with this colostomy and now they've reattached him but he worked on a forklift in a warehouse and what he said he did was add some extra tape for protection so that depending on what you do for work, he always wanted to protect himself from getting caught on the edge of an obstacle. You might even want to consider maybe a hernia belt for protection. That's the only advice I can give you.

Bill

Like Bob says, irrigation is the way to go if you can. It holds the potential for freeing you up all day long from anything to do with stomas, which means you can continue working or doing anything you like with your time without having to worry.

Best wishes

Bill

ron in mich

Hi all, when I got my ileostomy 30 some years ago, I was working for a retailer in shipping and receiving, a physically demanding job. So, my PCP wrote a note for me to work half days for a month with limited lifting. But I was anxious to get back to work and get out of the house, and it also took my mind off of having an ostomy.

ConnMan

I too go back on the 10th!! I am lucky enough to be working for a great company with a lot of great people who have helped me and everyone else who have gone through something there. I believe you will do great and feel supported at work!!! You got this!! We got this!!