Post-Surgery Changes: Sleep, Appetite, and Caffeine

Replies
Views
JustGigi1967

Since my surgery, I have noticed some changes. Before my surgery, a typical night's sleep was four hours. Now, I sleep eight to ten hours, and I take a couple of naps each day.

My appetite... it's gone! I'm not sure where it went or if it'll come back.

Before surgery, I lived in caffeine --- like a pot or more of coffee daily. Since surgery, the smell makes me nauseous.

What changes did you notice? Were those changes temporary or lasting?

AlexT

How long since surgery? Pretty much all mine came back except I ate oatmeal almost every day during chemo and still can't look at the stuff a little over 2 years later. Not drinking that much coffee is probably a good thing. Depending on how long since surgery, sleep/naps isn't a bad thing usually. Push yourself to get up and get moving, just a little more each day.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,447 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Beth22

Same question: How long has it been since surgery? I know it takes me about 3-4 months before I can stomach a cup of coffee again. I got the nausea with the smell as well. Also, anything sweet for the first couple of months. Your appetite will come back, just take it easy when it does. And if your body is still healing like it's me said, it's good for your body to rest.

TerryLT

Hi and welcome to the group! I just read your bio and you are only ten days out of surgery?! If you weren't experiencing those things, it would be weird! It's good that you're sleeping lots, as your body has been through a lot and it needs it. I went through the same thing as you, visit to the ER, emergency surgery for a perforated colon, and went home with a colostomy. I remember it took me weeks to get back to normal. You need to take it really easy, don't overdo it, and definitely don't do any heavy lifting as you are now at risk of hernia. Did they talk to you about that at the hospital? Do you have access to an ostomy nurse? Things will slowly get back to normal, but you now have a hole in your gut and you will need to be careful of straining your abdominal muscles. Once you have had a few weeks to recover, you can start doing gentle exercises to strengthen your abdominals, which will help to prevent a hernia. If you Google 'exercises for ostomy patients' you will find some. Anyway, don't be afraid to ask questions about anything. There are lots of people here who are willing to help with advice and support.

Terry

Maried

Takes a while to get back to normal after surgery. It takes a while to even feel like eating. I've had approximately 4, and I lived on cold cereal for weeks afterward. Nothing tasted good. All food tasted like chemicals!

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
john.m.schmidt1

Hello, post-surgery for me was great (Feb), but now I am more tired and sore all the time. I did a power walk in the ICU immediately after surgery for two miles, now I have to push myself to make a mile? Still trying to enjoy life, traveling, riding dirt toys, etc., but physically not anywhere as good as pre-surgery. Is anyone else experiencing this? As far as food and coffee, since I can now eat anything for the first time in years, I do enjoy that part, but nothing tastes the same, some of my favorite meals are terrible.

JustGigi1967

I appreciate that you drew your word picture using the activity of writing. As a ghostwriter, I have to set my own goals and milestones. In order to fulfill my commitments to my authors, my motivation must come from within. Gracias por tus sabias palabras.