Ostomy Memories Comes Late to Books

Replies
Views
HenryM
May 26, 2023 8:06 am

THERE WERE NO BOOKS IN MY HOUSE when I was a kid.  My father cut meat.  My mother cooked it.  The only member of our family that went to college before me was an uncle who I thought, when I saw him at family gatherings, was a horse’s ass.  But when I finally read a book I was blown away.  I realized that it opened up a new world for me, and that every succeeding book I would read would do the same thing.  All those books, all those different worlds.  Books are like dogs:  leave it for a while, and it’ll be waiting for you when you return, wagging its tail.  Love it, and it will love you back.  I was surprised to discover that Albert Einstein, the famous brain, valued imagination over logic.  “If you want your children to be intelligent,” Einstein told us, “read them fairy tales.  If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales.”  I missed out on fairy tales as a kid, a deficiency that I rue to this day.  I got started late and have been playing catchup ever since.  My reading list is very selective, one might even say elitist.  But I only have so much time and I don’t wish to waste it on some popular book-of-the-month.  I plan to die with my finger stuck in a good book at the last page I read.  

Justbreathe
May 26, 2023 2:11 pm

No fairy tales read to me or my siblings either, Henry - but we all turned out okay. That was so long ago there probably weren't any fairy tale books anyway :)

In Mom's defense - we did, however, have the full set of the fine Encyclopedia Britannica books - volumes of them as I recall. They were fully displayed in Dad's matching gun racks with windowed glass doors in our dining room. Initially, I think the racks were intended for fine china. That never happened. So brilliant of Mom to display those books (in place of rifles) arranged in alphabetical order for our convenience and reading pleasure! I only now appreciate her genius!

I may have pulled one or two of those books out during my high school years, but when Mom finally got rid of them, they still looked brand new!

Where was "Google" when I really could have used it??? ;jb

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 35,000 members who truly understand you.

It's not all about ostomy. We talk about everything.

Many come here for advice or to give advice, others have found good friends, and some have even found love. Most importantly, people here are honest and genuinely care.

🛑 Privacy is very important - we have many features that are only visible to members, ensuring a safe and secure environment for you to share and connect.

Create an account and you will be amazed by the warmth of this community.