Hi everyone

Replies
Views
Ree

I am new to the site and just want to thank everyone for letting me join.  I have a new colostomy stoma that I received about six weeks ago. Just been struggling a little and hoping that I start to feel a little better soon. Found this site and all of you are wonderful for the good vibes and support.  Thank you everyone. 

Justbreathe

Glad you found this site so early on your journey - welcome and feel better soon!  jb

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,485 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ree
Reply to Justbreathe

Thank you JB.  I appreciate the kind words 

DexieB

Hi Ree, I got my colostomy in May of this year.  It takes awhile, but you will feel better soon.  Be gentle on yourself, it just takes time.  Welcome! 

Ree
Reply to DexieB

Thank you DexieB. That really makes me feel better. This is one of the hardest challenges of my life and I really appreciate the comforting words. 

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Past Member

Welcome to the group!  Everyone is super nice here!

SallyK

Welcome Ree 😊 It does get better. Sending good vibes your way. 💖🙏

AlexT

Howdy. 

infinitycastle52777

Hey, cool that you found this site. I think it will be good for you. You can ask questions when you have them and get advice. And if you like poetry Bill has some very good ones. 

Lee

Bill

Hello Ree and welcome to this site.
It’s so great to have new people on here to remind us of what it was like in those early days.
For my part, I coped by writing my thoughts about it all in rhyming verse. 
When I first came onto this site it seemed appropriate for me to share these verses here, as these were the people most likely to understand what they were about. 
Sometimes it’s difficult (if not inappropriate) to keep sharing thoughts on this particular subject with loved ones, as they already have enough to cope with when putting up with all our gear and the inconvenience of sharing a bathroom with all that accompanies stoma life.
Anyway, your post has provided me with the opportunity to resurrect one of my first verses on the subject, which is copied below: 
As time has moved on, some of my latest verses are becoming less pertinent to stomas and may drift off into other subjects. However, many other, more relevant verses can be found in the ‘collections’ section at the head of the page.

Best wishes

Bill 

FIRST OSTOMY.

I must admit I had a scare
the first time that I saw it there.
I can’t remember what I said
about this thing so crimson red.

Some thoughts were flashing through my mind
about how fate had been unkind.
Most of all I thought “Why me!”
that had to have this ostomy.

What in the world had I done wrong
that to this thing, I’d now belong?
This thing that stuck out from my tum
replacing my malfunctioning bum. 

Right now I only speak for me
when talking of my ostomy.
They told me I would benefit
but I began to doubt that bit.

To tell the truth, I won’t pretend
I thought that this would be the end.
I thought the active life I’d led
was now gone, forever dead.

There was no way that I could swim
with what looked like an extra limb.
There’s nothing anyone could say
to keep these type of thoughts at bay.

The negatives exaggerated
as my mood degenerated.
It seemed that I had lost control
of my body and my soul.

But now I’ve had this ‘thing’ a while
I can look back and I can smile.
For now I’m doing so much more
and I’m  more active than before.

B. Withers  2012

eefyjig

Welcome, Ree. Give your brain and body time to heal. It'll come.

Mark1070

Welcome, Ree. So sorry to hear about your emergency surgery. The same happened to me back in 2009. Waking up with a new "appliance" isn't easy for anyone. Hopefully, you'll start to feel better soon as many of us did and don't hesitate to ask about any problems you may have. Many of us have struggled to work through skin issues, leaks, depression, etc... but there are ways to deal with all of them. 

Ree
Reply to Bill

thank you Bill that is amazing and sums up exactly what I am feeling.  I am so glad there is hope that I will be ok.  

terrizajdel

Hi Ree, welcome to the site. I'm so sorry for your loss of your colon. It changes things but for most of us it's for the better. We are all in various stages of Ostomate living so somebody has been where you are before and can help even if it's just to sympathize. 

Reach out when you feel the need. We are here for you.

Terri

Morning glory

Welcome  Ree, I  am glad  you found the site. You have a very supportive  group here. Your  body will continue  to heal in the next few  weeks and you  will gain more confidence  in time.

Past Member
Reply to Bill

Very nice Bill, I wish I was creative like that, hugs

ron in mich

Hi Ree welcome to the site, the learning curve is pretty steep in having an ostomy, but there,s a lot of info on this site to help you and a lot of good people to answer any questions you might have.

Mysterious Mose

Welcome to the community, Ree. At 6 weeks, you are still healing. Things will get better. It takes time to recover from major surgery such as what you have experienced. This is a great place to learn from the experience of others. This place is full of great people willing to help. This site has been a sanity saver for me. I hope you will find it just as beneficial.

Daniel

Caz67

Welcome to the elite club we are a great bunch. XX 

MoeMoe

Hi!! So many great people here… you will get lots of insight and advice. I’m 4.5 months postop so still a newbie to colostomy myself and still struggle with all the things that come with an emergency surgery leading to a bag, BUT there is deff hope and light right around the corner! This site helped me so much, I’m so thankful for this site and for all the kind people who generously share their experiences, stories and advice. Welcome aboard!! 

estrogen

Ree, I too had the feelings your experiencing. I woke up with the bag and cried. This was in 2018. After trial and error I found the right supplies and life got so much better and easier. I travel, rode my horse etc and looking back I don’t know why I thought my life was over..It gets so much better after you experiment with supplies. You will find what works for you and it’s smooth sailing from there. The bag has not interfered with my clothing choices or activities….This feeling you have right now will pass.

Mommad

Welcome Dee.  You are right, there are a lot of great people on this site.  So glad I found it too!

Hockeycards
Reply to Ree

Hey so glad you found this site.Everyone is really nice.Lots of good advice and help here just ask.

From 

Hockey Cards

Dogen\'s bag

Welcome Ree! 

Wonderful people here that genuinely want only the best for you.   

Dogen'sBag  :-) 

Happy-but-Newbie

New as well, so welcome to us Ree! :-)

14jax71

Welcome Ree and Happy-but-Newbie,

There are a lot of nice people on the site and abundance of information. I hope you able to find everything you need.

Jax

dmo101

WELCOME, glad you found us.

Lots of good help, tips n support here.

As a newbie ask all the questions you want.

7dragonflies.hm

Hey Ree! Welcome!! These are some of the best people you'll ever meet. There's plenty of info on here along with funny stories. We've all had something happen to us and I consider us all to be true warriors. These folks have meant so much to me during this journey and I'm so thankful for them. We're in this together and here for each other. Again, welcome!

kennybob94zz
Reply to Ree

Nice meeting you.want advive I might not be the best to tell u. But will try.

Ree

Hello everyone,

Well it has been a crazy few months.  First getting used to the Colostomy and the wound vac. The wound vac was finally removed the end of January and the drain was removed from the abscess around the end of Feb.  I am doing much better and happy to announce my reversal is Monday April, 22, 2024.  I am really scared.  I had a perforated colon with a complicated abscess. They were able to get the abscess under control and I am now ready for the reversal.  My surgeon will have to first take out the perforation that has now healed.  I was too sick with the emergency surgery last fall to remove the perforation and diseased colon at  that time.  If anyone has any advice to share I would love to hear it.  I will let everyone know how it went once the surgery is over and I am feeling better.  Thanks everyone on this site for all the help and support.  You guys are all amazing !!