Infection in Mesh

Replies
Views
sunnydisposition.
Just back from the hospital, I was rushed in after the swelling I had noticed in my tummy burst and 2 pints of infected fluid poured out. The doctor had said he was not keen on using the mesh for the hernia repair and said it would be a high possibility of infection, well he was right.
I was 2 days on the ward having IV antibiotics and having it drained. I now need to wait to see if the antibiotics work. He has said he will not give me another course of tablets as I will build up resistance and if the fluid does not stop, I will be taken back in to take the mesh out and pig skin put in its place.
I would have had the pig skin in the first place, but the surgeon was planning to do the operation without mesh and just suture up the hernia. As it turned out, he could not close the wound without the mesh and he would have needed my consent to use the pig skin.
Feel so much better and my tummy is much flatter than this time last week. I did try to tell myself it was just swelling post-op and would go down on its own accord, so a bit of a shock to discover the whole lot was fluid.
Let's hope I am on the 50% that will drain and heal without further event.
Love to all x
Past Member

Hi Sunny, I have been reading your blogs and I know you have been through a lot. How unfortunate that this has happened. I hope things will start to heal right for you. The body is a resilient thing and does and will heal. Good luck for the future. Take care, Ambies.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,368 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Ruby1

Jeez Louise SunnyD! So sorry to hear about the setback....... Is someone taking care of you at home? Wish I could help from the other side of the pond. I am very much here for you and your recovery. You concentrate on getting well and lay back. Hope there are loved ones there to cater to your needs.......

Don

sunnydisposition.

Trying to keep positive.
I am having a district nurse come in daily to dress the wound and my parents are visiting daily with shopping. I have 3 good friends who try and get to see me and one loves to clean which is great, and daytime TV is a great help.
Just praying the antibiotics will work and that my body will stop rejecting the mesh.
Don't feel too bad overall, a bit weak and light-headed.
The temperature has gone and the wound looks clean so here's hoping.
Hey, I have the cats... Do not underestimate the love of a good domestic cat!

Past Member

Oh, I am sorry to hear of your troubles, Sunny! Gosh, you've not had it easy of late. I'm just glad you've got your family about to help and your good friends too. You can never underestimate a "good friend". Your remaining positive is so important, and I hope you keep it up. You've been a great support during all my woes, and I appreciate it so much. Do take good care of yourself and let your friends look after you for once! I'm sure you've been there for them too and will continue to be in the future. Colm

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
sunnydisposition.

Hi, had the top district nurse in today and she did not like the look of the wound and thinks I should be in hospital. It is still oozing 200 ml a day. I need to get through the weekend and then she is bringing the GP to see me on Monday. I will be hoping that they keep me at home but stick me back on the IV antibiotics, things have not been so good since I came off them. I was wondering if it was due to my poor absorption due to Crohn's that oral antibiotics are not as efficient.
Maybe in hospital for Christmas like you, Colm. Hope they put on some entertainment for us!

Past Member
Hi Sunny, and sorry to hear you're still suffering with that wound. But I'm glad to see your nurse is on the ball and will hopefully get the whole thing sorted. I think you could be right about the poor absorption of the antibiotics........I know I have the same problem and was recommended next time to have them intravenous if needed.
Sorry I'll not be in hospital for Christmas and here's hoping you're not either. Had my surgery cancelled once again, late yesterday. It looks like I'll be on the lookout for a good surgeon too as he's leaving next week. Was planning on moving back to the UK in February after recovery, but maybe I'll move sooner if this continues. Here's wishing your wound will settle down. Take care, Colm
sunnydisposition.

I can't believe they are mucking you about like this. It may be about non-emergency operations being scrapped due to budgets.
There is a certainty with living with the bag and a feeling of safety that has passed me by in the last month. I just hope this fluid stops coming out. My tummy is really sore and it does not seem to be decreasing. It is a worry to not know why or where it is coming from.
Everything is on hold and I, like you, just want to get on with my life.
At least I have had the pleasure of a good fart... got to laugh.
Hope you find yourself a good surgeon and that life moves on in a positive way for you x

Past Member

Oh Sunny, my heart goes out to you. Here was me feeling sorry for myself and you there in such pain. Apologies for being a whinger! But this is a great place to vent. I'll have to try for an appointment with my stoma nurse again as my rash has only grown in the past week or so. Had left it thinking it would all be sorted with the surgery. Have a weeping rash but nothing like your output, thank God. Yep, I was trying to get on with my life too and had such plans for next year. Guess I'll have to do as Fagan sang in Oliver......"I think I'll have to think it out again". LOL

sunnydisposition.
Hi, so the doctor came out today. I have started to make a note of how much 'stuff' is oozing out of my tummy. Around 200ml a day. It was 175ml yesterday, so I am hoping it will be less every day.
They have me on really strong oral antibiotics. I asked due to Crohn's to stay on IV as I have poor absorption, but they did not listen. Once next week's dose is over and we find this is still happening, there will be another operation to take the mesh out.
The doctor said the best-case scenario is it gradually decreases and that it is not infected. I found out today they lost my swab when they took me in on Monday (great), so I don't know if it is even infected.
I am just wondering why my body is producing this stuff. Is it a rejection of the mesh or is it due to a tiny leak in the reversal? Or is it just leftover from the surgery due to the drain not being in long enough? Or is it the mesh is irritating the bowel wall as I have no abs and it will take time to get used to it? I had a scan and it all looked good apart from an 8mm fluid around the edges of the mesh. Any other suggestions?
It is light rusty red in color and quite sticky and gravy-like but no odor. (Sorry about the description).
Thought I would be free of the bag, but still have a drainable bag stuck on my wound.
3 weeks post-surgery my tummy got bigger and bigger till it finally all burst out on Monday.
I wish I could stop worrying about it, but none of the medics on my case have any suggestions. Feeling rough with diarrhea due to antibiotics and tum is sore.
Vent vent etc....
Past Member
Keeping fingers crossed for you SunnyD.

I have been back home just two days, having had a mesh job on my melon-sized hernia, so selfishly hoping that my recovery goes more smoothly.

I am interested in your very lucid description of your "ooze". When I had my urostomy operation here in France, some three years ago, for a while afterwards, I had a drain from near the operation, which contained a very similar sounding liquid. I was told that it was to drain off any potentially harmful fluid, including possibly infected blood, but it would take some two or three days before it stopped. In the event, it took nearly seven days before the oozing stopped and the drain could be removed.

Last week, same thing, except the fluid took only three days before it stopped and the plumbing could be removed.

Did you have a similar drainage system after your op? If not, I wonder if it is the same thing and that it will gradually cease of its own volition, which I sincerely hope for you, will be the case.

(The drainage system in France is called a "raydon" (unfortunately I don't know the correct spelling) and I have been trying, unsuccessfully so far, to find some more information on the Internet. If I do find something, I'll get back to you.)
sunnydisposition.
Hi Majic,
I bet you are pleased the hernia is repaired. Mine was melon-sized as well and was most distressing to be hauling around all over the place.
They kept 3 drains in for 4 days and took them out when they appeared to have stopped producing.
Only somehow I was still making the goo which sprang out of a small hole in the wound.
So keep an eye out for your tummy getting bigger, keep a daily measure of the top, middle, and lower abdomen, and weigh yourself every day. I wish I had done this as when I went to see my doctor complaining about the swollen tummy 3 weeks post-op, she said there was no liquid in it and was happy for me to wait to see my surgeon in January. If that hole did not open, I may have expired with peritonitis!
You have less chance of infection if the surgeon used dissolvable sutures rather than staples and if the mesh is a patch rather than a large sheet to cover the entire tummy area, which is what I had.
Like you say, I just hope this gradually decreases, and I can get on with my life.
Best of luck with your slim tum. Hey, it's nice to be able to see one's feet again!