Colectomy, Healing Post Surgery

In this discussion
Replies
Views
CALYPSO

Has anyone been left with an open incision following surgery?

I had a colectomy in June 2011, the incision was not closed and quite a size about 6cm round and 4cm deep, the surgeon said he wanted it to heal from the inside out. 3 months in hospital, 9 months district nurses visiting daily, since June 2012 I've been cleaning and dressing the wound. Slowly it is healing, but I was not prepared for this in the least and wonder if anyone else has had similar experiences.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,104 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

notexpectingthis

Hey 2

I am dealing with this right now!!! My ileostomy hole was left open to heal from the inside out. I was looking for posts about this earlier today!!! I am post-op day 16, and it is still draining away - driving me crazy!!! Is yours still draining?

Melissa

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Dave_Canada

I too was left with an open incision following my reversal. From what I understand, it's pretty commonplace. My surgeon described it as not wanting the skin to heal over before the inside tissue did, and possibly therefore not healing properly and becoming a risk for a hernia or infection.
I believe I was about a month or more of regular nurse visits and dressing changes. Once I was back to driving again, I visited them at a local clinic for a few more weeks.
Yes, the dressings were usually moist from drainage. As long as the drainage is clear and doesn't have a strong odor, it's okay. You will find as the time goes on, the dressing changes become less frequent. They don't like to disturb any healing that may be taking place, and removing the packing sets the healing process back about 8 hours every time they do it.

stomafart

I had surgery twice in a year, first was subtotal colectomy and in December 2012 I had proctectomy. After both surgeries, I had the wound opened to let it heal from the inside out. I came home after 2 weeks in the hospital and it is now February, and I have just finished with the district nurses who have been angels and changed my dressing every day. So this seems to be pretty normal, and it works.