What is a bowel replacement surgery?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
janice

Am curious. Have you ever heard of anyone performing a bowel replacement surgery??

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

PsychoJane

Hum, let me see, I might be wrong in my answer here due to a language barrier, but I believe I got it right as far as bowel could either relate to the small intestine or colon, right? That being said, I know that they do attempts of that surgery, mostly for young people from what I heard. A friend of mine (God rest his soul) had Hirschsprung's disease and they attempted to perform a small intestine transplantation. I never really got the clarification as if he died from the surgery or the complications itself. But it was within a week from the surgery. I wish I could have brought a positive note about it, but I don't know. That was in 2001, maybe the procedures have evolved since then and that the rate of success is higher. I know it was known to be really risky in the day....

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Whoa
Nurse
Hi Jancie

Yes, small intestinal transplants have been around for a while; not as common as other organ transplants though. We don't do them at my hospital, so I couldn't give you the best updated information. Just Google "intestinal transplant" or "small bowel transplant". If you are looking for something specific to your disease, add that on. I was surprised to see some places will do it for Crohn's and results encouraging compared to years ago.

Up and down sides to transplants.
janice

Thanks. I found a doc in Washington DC that specializes in small bowel transplants. Usually, about 3 weeks after a successful surgery, the patient can go off of TPN.
I will seriously pray about this. DC is about 3-4 hours from me but may be worth the trip!

xformerveganx

Yes, there is such a thing called a small bowel transplant. There are only a few hospitals in the US that perform this surgery. I had mine, along with a partial gastrectomy and half of my large intestine removed at Mt. Sinai Medical Center in NYC this past February. Where do you live? Feel free to contact me...

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
budd002

Well, this is good news!! I was seriously considering my garden hose. However, I have gone all the way and had my colon removed 2 years ago. Doubt they can reverse that!

benisthebest

Me too, my colon was removed 2 years ago. xx