How many matches are out there?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Faith4Today

Just to lighten things up a bit, are there any love stories out there? A couple that met via Ostomy?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,091 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

What a great question! How fun!! I can't wait to see what others might post in here...hope we have some happy love stories. I know there is at least one.... I do recall reading about one in here ... they met and fell totally in love. Hope they post something here! Much love to everybody from your WD muah!

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
mark
Well, I know about at least one: https://www.meetanostomate.org/index.php?page=blog&action=viewdetailed&view_id=1834&id=95
tarababy
Hi guys.....I think I might come under that category...You see just after I got home from the hospital...I realized I wanted to help others who were getting an ostomy. If I had had someone come up to me in the hospital and let me know it wasn't always going to be so bad..I would have healed faster..If I had had someone to talk to..My head wouldn't have done Mickey flips on me..so, I did all the word of mouth part to starting up a support group. And I knew I'd need a computer for it to go any further..Plus I could read up easier on my disease..Thank God for word of mouth. I was given a PC..It was a good feeling to know someone cared enough to help...as I had been getting put into the too hard basket for weeks (Support for the support group). While I was getting used to the PC, I thought it would be a bit of fun...and practice (telling people I have an ostomy). If I went on a dating site...So, I picked Lava. Within a few weeks, I met Craig......we both ended up closing that dating site account about 2 weeks after meeting...and have been inseparable ever since, more so since we met...We are both pretty sure we have loved each other in previous lives..we just got lost in this one, but now all is good.....we will be together for the rest of this life. And well, I wouldn't have met him if I never got this ostomy when I did.....So I'm grateful to something I don't like...Stanley the stoma....Ain't life bloody funny?!!..Thanks for listening..Tara
Past Member

These two stories just sent shivers up my spine. Tarababy, what a great story. And I completely missed that story of the young Brit couple. How romantic is that?! I'm so happy for all of you and glad you shared your experiences. Still, I have to commend you for your courage and spirit. Physical drawbacks or not, opening yourself up for love is always a risk, but you guys show that it's well worth the price of risking a bruised ego now and again. Good for you! Good for you all!

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
baba

Difficult to meet someone as they won't let you give out any personal info. We tried to get some info (not to meet them) but so that we could mail ostomy products that we aren't using and the administrator removed our email addresses.

Faith4Today

There must be more out there. Some of us have to live vicariously through others. How about those out there that just started dating through the site? Thanks for your responses and like the man said, how do you manage to make contact if it gets deleted like he mentioned?

administrator
Site Admin
Hi everyone,

Just thought it necessary to jump in here and clarify.

Of course, we allow the exchange of emails and phone numbers (this is the purpose of our website), as long as they are not published in a way that makes them visible to everyone. This has always been our policy.

You can exchange personal information by:

sending messages to other members using the one-to-one chat with other online members (Instant Chat)
We do not allow personal information to be published in the following public areas:
forum
blogs
Best regards,

Admin
bamatex
I have had two, maybe three, maybe four, "relationships" that came thru this site. First was about 2 1/2 yrs ago was with a nurse in Boston. We chatted back forth, on off the site, had looong phone conversations for several months, exchanged photos grew to like each other very much. She found out I was going to have to spend Thanksgiving '06 alone at my ranch as my youngest son was to be w/ his mother. She totally surprised me by jumping on a plane flying to Houston. She only let me know she was coming the day before her flight. She got into Houston the night before Thanksgiving. We spent that night at my house in Houston drove up to the ranch the next morning. As it turned out some of my neighbors who live nearby the ranch invited us to have the Thanksgiving meal w/ them. She was quite a hit with all the people as everyone wanted to hear her talk. Most had never heard a Boston accent. We spent the next few days enjoying the ranch, taking walks in the forest skipping flat rocks across the lake. Our relationship intensified she tearfully returned to her life in Boston. We continued to correspond talk for hours on the phone but a couple of events caused the relationship to simmer, then slowly die. She developed myasthemia gravis. I also learned that she was still legally married but estranged from her husband. I think the progression of her new disease may have caused her to reconcile w/ her husband. At any rate it was great while it lasted I will always have very sweet memories of her.

The current "relationship" involves a lady who lives in Chicago. She had read some advise I had given another site participant about the ostomy products I use. She had recently gotten an ileostomy was having a terrible time with leakage complete failures. She was practically house-bound thought her life was over as she was having to do wafer changes several time a day. She was miserable. She had never received Ostomy training didn't have an ostomy nurse to help her learn about available equipment options.We exchanged some messages on the site, then e-mail addresses, then phone #'s. Over the course of several weeks I helped her transition to a completely new system of wafers, pouches pouch liners. I also helped her learn proper techniques for applying the wafers, etc. She has now gone from multiple leaks wafer changes every day to going over two weeks between changes, with no leaks. The "relationship" part of this story started on her end, I think due to her gratitude for me "saving" her from her then current life of desperation. We continue to text, e-mail talk on the phone have talked of actually meeting sometime in either Chicago or Houston. We'll see what happens.

I have also met a very nice, attractive ostomate lady who lives just two hrs away. We've e-mailed, talked on the phone met each other once in a neutral place for soft drinks some good conversation. Maybe this is a preview of a coming attraction.

I met one other girl on the site who lives in the Houston area. Unfortunately, after a couple of "dates" we found that we were pretty much incompatible. Win some, lose some.
junopete

I read Bamatex, which has had what I would describe as spectacular success in meeting female osteo-mates.
I did meet a great lady via the site, however, it kind of died on the vine so to speak. Which was my fault, she was a smoker, and I can't be directly around people who smoke on a daily basis.
I would love to meet a person on the site. I have contacted a few ladies that I thought were of "interest", but it seems they did not feel the same way. Which is sad, I have a lot to offer and I can learn a lot from others.
Ladies, if you are out there, here I am and I am trainable, I even lower the seat!

Rick.....

bamatex

Pete, good luck to you buddy. Just be patient. Someday someone will contact you, then the rest is up to you. On balance, none of mine, so far, have worked out long term but they were almost all fun while they lasted.

Past Member

Don't know how well I will do since I'm so shy. I admit it's really hard to get close to me....few can. And handing out my phone number or other personal info is a very rare thing, hope that doesn't ever offend anyone, that is never my intent. I cherish my friends here and am so grateful for this site and the connection to everyone. I want to get brave enough to attend Ostomy Conferences and Meetups. I want to be useful and helpful to others in whatever way I can. I hate living alone and even thought perhaps of renting a room or two in this old house of mine, to ostomates.... have our own little private 'support living' arrangement in the country. Just an idea. We shall see I guess. But I definitely miss having a partner at my side. "Alone" is a word I have come to dislike very much.

bamatex

Doe, don't let the "lonely's" get you down. Attitude is everything. I'm reminded of the story of a little lady who lived alone...

One day she awoke and looked at herself in the mirror to discover she had only 3 hairs left on her head. She simply thought, well, I think I'll braid my hair today. She did and went out and had a very nice day.

The next day she awoke and looked at herself in the mirror to discover she had only 2 hairs left on her head. So she thought, great, I think I'll part my hair today. She did and went out and had a grand day.

The next day she awoke and looked at herself in the mirror to discover she had only 1 hair left on her head. So she thought, oh good, I think I'll wear my hair in a ponytail today. She did and went out and had a most wonderful day.

So you see, attitude is everything.

Keep a good attitude about all the "slings and arrows of outrageous fortune" and you'll surely be a happier and more fulfilled person. Good luck and good fortune Doe.
Bamatex

Past Member

Wow Bamatex, that was really cool. Thank you. I like the story very much, in fact, I think I need to pass that on to my friend Tracy tomorrow who also needs that influence. ((hug)) You're awesome

vulcanBMk2

I consider myself lucky, as I have a long-time lady partner. We have both stuck by each other through all things.

But hey... one of my sayings is: Just because you're on a diet doesn't mean you can't study the menu...!!!

bamatex
Dear Doe,
I'm sorry but I left this off the story...

The next day she awoke and looked at herself in the mirror to discover she had no hair left on her head, not a single one. She thought, oh goodie, I don't have to fix my hair today! Then she went out and had the best day ever.

Sorry for the omission Doe. Keep that good attitude.

As it turns out, my attitude will soon be tested as I go in on Sept. 30 for a peristomal hernia repair. During that surgery, they are going to "try" to reconnect me. So I'll know when I wake up from the surgery if I've been reconnected or will have a permanent ileostomy. Even if the reconnection can't be done, I have vowed to keep a good attitude about it. I am well blessed either way.
Bamatex