Diet

Replies
Views
Mike

What is a good diet for a colostomate?

annie_jan

I've been a colostomate for 1 1/2 years and I'm still trying to figure it out! But I know I can't eat a lot of cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower, raw spinach, beans, or really greasy foods. Also, it's difficult to drink alcohol. All of these things cause suffering that night and/or the next day with gas and diarrhea.

I do think it's very important for colostomates to get proper nutrition from lots of fruits and vegetables. Trying to do so without eating all the fiber has been easier for me with a juicer.

Best of luck!
Annie

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,370 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mike

Thanks, Annie.

archnang

Hi, I am 50 this year. I have both urostomy and colostomy, having had both since I was 3. I have grown up with them and don't know anything different. So, getting back to diet, I am lucky I can eat and drink everything, and I mean everything. But one thing I stick by is strong, sweet black tea. I drink 10 or more every day with no problems with either appliances. This may or may not work for you, but worth a try.

Rgds, Archie

gutenberg
Shortly after I had my Iliostomy I had a VON nurse come in and take care of my wounds, of course this was the perfect time for my Wife to bring up my smoking, the nurse said, Now would no be a good time after all i went through. 4 Ops. IN any event she told me to eat anything I felt like and if it bothered me, DONT DO IT AGAIN, sounds simple enough, but from that day on I eat everything, Just last week we had a Jigs dinner, Corned beef and cabbage and I pigged out with nary a sign of discomfort. So I guess the moral of the story if the food don't agree with you_____dont eat it again. And good luck

Getting Support in the Ostomy Community with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister