Random Photos

In this discussion
Replies
Views
SPB
The "Random Photos" don't seem very random. Any guesses what the algorithm is for their selection?
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Primeboy
Yes. I have noticed that too. These random photos show only the beautiful people here. I know that as a fact because I have never seen my face in that collection. I am not sure if any algorithm is at work here, only good marketing judgement: don't scare off prospective customers.

PB
Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill
I agree with you PB - don't scare off prospective customers! That will be part of the reason I don't put a photo of me on the site.

Best wishes Bill
Xerxes
PB,

I realized that too and checked into it. Apparently they do not post the pics of the user only all the others. That is why you have never seen your face come up. I have seen it on my comp many times. I agree though there seems to be an inordinate number of repeats. I have seen some of the same pics seemingly on a regular basis. I have to believe there are many others out there. Be well PB.

X_
SPB
That certainly makes sense. What I don't understand is the weighting that impacts the regularity.

Certainly only photos with comments are listed, but there are some single commented photos that show up on a seemingly continual basis and other photos with multiple comments that I rarely see.

This makes me believe that there must be hidden data, for example, number of views, that is also considered. It would be really neat to be able to see this information.

By the way PB, I see your photo occasionally, but I see Mooza, Wounded Doe, and Franicaa much more frequently. Of course it could be that they have more photos overall and I fail to distinguish the photos one from the other, or perhaps they are just more memorable.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member
I have never seen any of my pics when online, but you also can't private chat with yourself either.

I have also noticed the same picture being displayed, particularly on the main menu page.
christiesdad
would venture to say that if you want to make sure your photo does not appear on "random" is to take the wrong side on a controversial subject!!

Jack, (CD)
Xerxes
Hi CD,

I think you found the answer precisely.

X_
Primeboy
It's curious that all of us contributors to this thread are male. Why's that?
PB
Xerxes
PB, you've hit upon something I think. What would Freud say, I wonder.

X_
Primeboy
Hi X. God only knows what Freud would have said about us gents who contributed time and thought to this thread, but I suspect none of us would be flattered. If it helps, Freud believed that time spent with cats was never wasted.
PB
Xerxes
PB,

Other than T.S. Elliot, I don't know anyone else who would hold cats so dearly in their thoughts.

X_
christiesdad
Aw, c'mon PB X yes you do know some one.....................how bout old Earnest down in Key West, he loved his cats, remember? With all 6 toes.

Jack (CD)
Primeboy
You must remember this, Jack, the world will always welcome cat lovers as time goes by. Want proof? Check out this page:
http://www.pinterest.com/14shabbycats/famous-cat-lovers/
PB
Primeboy

Good one, Jack. His picture is halfway down the page just to the right of Hillary (come to think of it: not too rare a position!) Hemingway certainly loved his felines; but nbsp; nbsp;I think he was bamboozled by these six-toed friends when he said, quot;A cat has absolute emotional honesty: human beings, for one reason or another, may hide their feelings, but a cat does not." He surely confused cats with dogs. Cats have significantly more emotional intelligence and self-control than dogs. nbsp; nbspThat's why they are cool, right? That's also not to say that cats are better than dogs, but I bet none of them would give a rat's ass about seeing their picture in the Ostomy Site's Random Photos gallery.
nbsp; nbsp; PB
gutenberg
If I remember correctly: a dog thinks to himself, you give me food and drink and a nice warm home, you are a god;

A cat thinks to itself, you give me food and drink and a nice warm home to live in, I am a god,
Anonymous

Ed