Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Support | Friendship | Relationships
26,936 members

Shower Cover

Thu May 08, 2014 3:18 pm
"This is the best website for people with an Ostomy, hands down. So much understanding. Everyone should join."

I shower Daily and a year 1/2 ago bought a $60 Shower Guard. Worked great but after the first year or so it was falling apart. So I spent another $60 just to leave it in a hotel a few weeks later. So I decided to try and make my own and it works great. Keeps the Bag almost completely dry. So I thought I would share how I made it. Bought all the stuff from Amazon but you could probably get it at a Craft store.

1" Nylon Webbing (Belt material) Cost for 25 Yards $10 Enough for several belts

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001QL2C26/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1" Quick Release Buckles $3 (Make sure the opening is 1" not the buckel itself.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001J4LM6W/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

3ml Plastic sheeting. $14 and can make a lot or be used for other things. You could use a plastic bag but those are usualy less than 1ml thick. The thicker plastic won't cling

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004YSVV/ref=oh_details_o00_s02_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So all of the stuff was aboutr $25 and if you bought a larger thing of buckles you could make about 4 of these depending on how big the belt is.

Just cut the webbing a few inched longer than you need it to wrap around you. This allows for weaving through the buckles. Then just put a buckle on each end and adjust for a snug fit.

Cut the plastic the width you need and twice the length, than just fold over the belt.

Now you can shower without worrying about getting it wet!

Thu May 08, 2014 7:20 pm

well done, its always satisfying to solve one`s own problem.

MeetAnOstoMate - 26,936 members
Wed May 14, 2014 8:06 pm

Why would one need a shower gaurd? To prevent your stoma from getting wet? I have personally never heard of ssuch a thing. I have never used a guard in the shower, i just take a shower.... My flange gets wet but I just dry it.You CAN shower with teh bag off, IF anything comes out it just washes down the drain... That's how I do it anyway... I schedule my showers around slow time, not right after I eat or just when I wake up or go to bed.

Thu May 15, 2014 7:57 am

It allows the flange to last longer and keeps the bag dry. Water and soap can seep under the flange and cause it to weaken. I get a minimum of 7 days on it that way. Also I don't have to dry the bag as the fabric backing gets soaked without it. 

Thu May 15, 2014 9:19 am

I must be out of the loop I have never heard of one. I have had my Illio for 18 years and swim, shower, hot tub etc. I get 10 - 12 days wear out of mine. Unless there is a skin issue that pops up. Sounds like an interesting invention...

Thu May 15, 2014 11:36 am

You must have a tight fit with your appliance. My stoma actually pulls inward when I bend due to complications

Thu May 15, 2014 4:24 pm

So where can I order a shower cap to keep my bag dry while I shower. I wear a one piece and am not a do it your self person so I wont be making one of my own. Please tell where you bought this shower guard/cap. Thanks, Richard

Fri May 16, 2014 8:32 am

http://www.cmostomysupply.com/cm_html/p_stomshow.html

this is the one I had

Fri May 16, 2014 6:24 pm

To all you guys who get such long wear time - lucky!!!  I'm totally jealous, LOL!  I change my setup on the 4th morning.  I shower daily too and HATED getting it wet at first - I'm not really sure why, I just did, lol - but eventually I just kept forcing myself to do it and I got over it.  What I do to dry it off is soak up as much water as I can from the Band-Aid like adhesive overlay (I use Hollister) and then blow dry the bejesus out of the appliance and back of pouch and its dry usually within 10 minutes or so.  Just don't burn yourself, lol

Fri Oct 03, 2014 8:52 am

Thank you for this advice, MissMeganM. I shower daily too and wondered what to do about the wetness. Will get out the hair drier and try that. Don't see any need for water proof cover. Peace

* Please, do not post contact information, personal information or advertising.