Trouble with Ballooning and Venting Bag - Need Help!

Replies
Views
miranda

I have a Hollister 2-piece. I use Coloplast extra vent. Still having problems.

AlistairC

You are certainly not alone. I know I've had to deal with the same, and I don't get the vent thing, because it never works for me either. I'm just now getting a handle on what and what not to eat. Pretty much everything in my pre-stoma diet gave me gas (who knew?). To make it a little easier to burp, I put a little lube on the wafer ring before clipping the bag on. This makes it a little easier to crack the top and let the gas out. Someone else on this forum said she puts a breath mint in her pouch and it helps with the odor. Haven't tried this yet, but I'll let you know how it works.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,374 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mrs.A

Sometimes I have the opposite and don't know which is worse. Ever get a vacuum going on in your pouch? Ugh, for me it is always a mess. Nothing moves down and ends up pushing the base plate away from my skin.

Ballooning does have a whole lot to do with what you eat. Beano helps when I just have to have something I like that gives me gas.

Irjosh

Hollister is the best. Speak to the shield people. They're really helpful. They're really cool.

Mrs.A

I have some Hollister but prefer the Coloplast two-piece. They are my main supplies.

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Past Member

Hi there. I've been using little gel packs in the Ileo Bag. These are called "Absorbagel". The little packs are about the size of a nickel and contain a thimble-sized amount of powdery stuff. I put three in my bag every time I empty. It turns the "stinky" into a pudding-like texture. A side effect is that it also absorbs much of the gas and air. My bag doesn't balloon anymore at all.

If you try it, use just one packet at first to see how it works...you may need two or three. Open the end of the bag wide and then drop them in, as far into the bag as possible. I use a one-piece Hollister...brilliant stuff. It only gets thick after it is in the bag so it will not pancake.

Good luck, Eamon