Pancaking: Understanding Stool Backing Up

Replies
Views
ycats

Is it when stool backs up under the appliance?

pete b

No, it's when the stool is quite solid and pushes the pouch away, normally happens when lying down on your back, and doesn't drain to the pouch bottom... a build-up where the stoma is.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,580 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

ycats

I find that happens when I don't use lubricant

NotDeadYet

Really? Lubricant stops that?

If my poo all pancake-smooshes up near my stoma, I start drinking prune juice.

Once, 2 years ago, (I was a newbie) I let things stiffen up, didn't notice that my colostomy flow had stopped, and spent 5 days in the hospital with a tube up my nose that sucked out my backlogged poo that couldn't make it into my colostomy bag.

I've since faced the same risk, but I start slurping prune juice (usually 6 oz is enough). But you've got to keep the flow going. Pancaking is a precursor to no flow at all. Make a plan for that.

LadyHope

Yes, I pancake also when I am sleeping, especially when I eat lots of starchy things like pasta, potatoes, bread, rice...etc. The pouch may be empty but around my stoma builds up. Ugh!

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
Past Member

I learn the best way to keep things running smoothly is to eat three prunes a day. It just keeps everything running, no constipation, and keeps things soft so it drains into the bag good. I was getting a lot of pancake into it, which was driving me nuts. I had to keep working the stool down into the bag, then it would well up again and I have to keep doing the same thing