Thrilling First Ride on My Harley!

Replies
Views
DonBrown1943

Well, the day finally arrived! I rode my Harley for the first time since last August. A total of 20 miles, I rode to the closest Harley dealership and admired the latest models and accessories. I found out when the local HOG chapter meets, then I rode to the closest gas station and filled it up for $5. I was getting tired so I came home. Wonderful ride! Can't wait to do it again.

iMacG5

So happy for you, Don.  Now, I must ask; did you wear your helmet?  Your head is very important to us.

Just kidding.  About the helmet, that is.

Mike

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,484 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

DonBrown1943

Mike, I always wear a helmet. In 2010, my son was run over while riding without a helmet. I thought he was dead, but they managed to save him. He was in a coma for 4 months. When he woke up, he had brain damage from a depressed skull fracture and had to be watched 24/7. I did that for a year. He had regressed to newborn status and I had to bring him back. It took 5 years, but he is nearly normal today. He can still ride, but not as well. He sold his Harley today after he finally realized he shouldn't be on a bike. He can drive his pickup well, but after 27 years of riding, he is no longer a rider. I have been riding for more than 50 years and I have never ridden without a helmet. Yes, they are cumbersome, but in today's world, it is just not safe enough without a helmet. Thanks for the comment. I plan on staying around for quite a while longer, so be reassured about my riding.

iMacG5

Thanks so much, Don, for sharing the "miracle" with us. I can't even imagine what you guys went through.  

Your son is blessed to have had your care and you've been blessed for your effort.

Thanks for staying safe.

Sincerely,

Mike

DonBrown1943

Thanks, Mike. I believe any father would have done the same thing. It's just that unusual emergencies happen to some of us, so our responses are unusual also.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
harleyrider

Congrats on your first ride back.

I know I couldn't wait to get back on, and like you, mine was a short ride at first, but it felt soooo good but exhausting. Take your time and slowly stretch them out. It took me awhile to do my first decent ride - 200+ miles, but worth the wait... lol

I've been riding with a helmet for so long, I feel naked without one ;-) Besides, in this neck of the woods (NJ), there are too many crazies out there not to lol

Father - I'm not sure every father would be as good as you. They might talk the talk, but to actually be there every day, I think not. Everyone would hope that they did, but ....

So, many kudos for you!

Pat

DonBrown1943

Thanks, Pat. I plan to ride 2 or 3 times a week, a little farther each time. It was so satisfying to get that first ride!

xnine

I had a Triumph Bonneville I had to sell. It was too much for me. Now I have a Suzuki Boulevard, much easier to ride.

DonBrown1943

I owned a Suzuki Burgman 650 before my Harley because I was having trouble getting my leg over the back of my Honda Gold Wing or my CB1000 Custom. The Burgman was the easiest riding motorcycle I ever owned. It looked like a scooter but it could do 110 mph against a headwind. The Harley is not that smooth or easy, but it is a childhood dream and has its own attractions. For instance, 1450 cc. The main thing is, it has two wheels and a big engine. Given that, I'm happy on anything.

GraphX12

I parked my bike 4 years ago when I had my initial surgery (been riding for some 45 years). I am currently recovering from my 2nd hernia surgery and am so bummed out wondering if I will ever be able to ride her again. I am concerned about the weight since, I guess, I am prone to hernias. I'm sure it would be fine once I'm up and riding, but I'm concerned of those situations that pop up when I might be standing still and the bike might want to quickly tip on me. My bike is a Yamaha Road Star and heavier than any Harley I ever owned.

Just wondering if you feel comfortable with the weight. Do you feel certain you won't rip anything? (Don't want to have to go through another repair)

Congratulations on getting back on the "horse".

So sorry about your son, Don.

harleyrider

I think every bike has a point of no return where once it hits a certain angle - nothing is going to save it. Especially at a standstill or parking lot speed. Maybe installing crash bars would help from it going all the way over and ease the uprighting. So far, I haven't had any issues with my Street Bob (no bars) where I thought it was too heavy, but if it went over, I'd have just let it go and then pick it back up.

DonBrown1943

Before my surgery, I once felt it going over (at a stopping place) and could not get clear. If it went over, it would break my leg. So I wrestled that 700 lb beast back upright. I was a large muscular man until my colostomy. I can't do that now. Now if it goes over I will just have to let it go and get someone to help get it back. I won't risk a hernia. However, on my ride, I was very alert and attentive and my legs are long, so the weight doesn't really bother me. The Suzuki Borgmann has the lowest center of gravity of any bike I have ever ridden. It also has an automatic transmission and clutch so it operates as easily as a scooter. It is a great bike for someone whose skills have slightly diminished.

Thanks for the message, Graphix12. And thanks for your encouragement, Harleyrider.

powersave2010

Assuming you have an ostomy bag, have you had any problems with separation when you ride? I have an ostomy bag right at belt level and it feels like it is under a lot of pressure when I ride.

harleyrider

Powersave –

Depends (that's helpful- isn't it ..LOL)

I generally change bag or at least empty bag before starting out. On short putts locally, the bag has never been an issue.

At the end of long runs or a full day of riding I've had, in the past, a blowout or two. I wear a two-piece and have had the bag separate. I wear Ostomy Secrets boxers and they hold the bag in place till I visited the men's rooms.

My ostomy is also at belt level and it seems; being in the seating position, with the vibrations for long periods of time - somehow the snap locking device comes undone.

So now I stop more often and empty it and/or check the snaps whenever I stop (for gas or a break). This seems to work for me. Haven't had any issues for a while now.

I've never had an issue with the appliance coming undone.

Hope this helps.

Ride Safe.

Pat.

DonBrown1943

PowerShell, as you might have guessed, so far I am only taking short rides (25 miles or less). If I took longer rides I might have a problem but I don't know. I take some precautions such as wearing a Hollister Ostomy belt or an Ostomysecrets body wrap while riding. I do that mainly to protect my belly because that 12-inch incision wound is barely healed and I don't want to risk a hernia, but it helps secure the bag also. My strength is coming back faster than I thought it would. Before the surgery, I had 19-inch calves, 28-inch thighs, 19-inch biceps, 48-inch waist, 54-inch chest, and 19-inch neck. Within two months, I went from 275 to 215 lbs. My biceps went to 14 inches and calves to 15 inches. Now that I can walk, I am back to 233 and much stronger legs. I eventually want 200 lbs, 42-inch waist, and 17-inch biceps. Mostly, I want to ride an hour at a time before stopping to rest. I'll get there sooner or later.

Ranjen617

First of all, congratulations on your accomplishment of riding! That's super. I'm sorry to hear about your son. Had a friend that was not as lucky. About the same injury. Terrible.

I ride as well (pic tells the story). That's my huge goal as well. Just to ride, wind therapy. Much needed. Even on the back would help. Cranked mine up today and went 3 feet.

Today marks 2 months and 1 day. Still open wound but easy bike to upright and I'm not going to push it. I use the handlebars to my advantage for the lift. Fortunately my long legs and the low center of gravity helps with my bike. Plus it's only a Shadow ACE. I dare not try the Wide Glide here. Heck no! Right before my emergency surgery I was scooting everywhere. Now sitting everywhere, at home. Yuck!

My biggest questions were answered with the replies as far as wearing a belt, frequent stops etc. My questions really are; How do you and how often do you stay hydrated? How long after your wound heals from being open? Do you wear extra adhesives if you plan on riding? Those things. I have a cooling vest but as we know those things keep you wet, something I cannot wear now. I live in Alabama and just worried about hydration and the bag flying off. Yikes!

My doctor at rehab rode. Asked him and said that my bag would be my hurdle because it could separate. Something I certainly don't want. I currently wear a two piece Sensura Mio click (has the lock for the two pieces attached to it). I'll do anything just to ride once healed.

You all are such an inspiration for getting me to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Keep on those 25 mile trips and before you know it you'll be up to a long trip. I don't see why adding a few more next time will hurt at all. Just like starting out, adding more and more each time.

Good luck and again thank you for the great post!

Stay blessed and your knees in the breeze,

Jen

Ranjen617

Good morning. ...

I had my reversal surgery with my ileostomy and they used staples. 36 in fact, 6 were on my stoma site.

Mid July was the operation date. Earlier this week I puttered around for two days in the neighborhood. Two streets only. First day once, second day twice.

My issue is or was finding dang neutral. I felt my right side where the ileostomy was pull some. I've found the actual pain to be right above the stoma closure site. Three days now and I'm feeling a burning or stinging sensation getting up and down. I'm wearing my binder etc.

What is the general rule of thumb on getting back in the saddle as far as after surgery? My doctor is no help. Bike doesn't feel that heavy like before. In between the bag and takedown. After the reversal I got weak and couldn't lift her. Now I can but that darn neutral finding got me. Bit me actually.

Any suggestions are very very welcome as my wind therapy has been pulled from me since my first surgery in March.

Just need a few pointers on the timeframing of this after surgery. I'll drop the bike if warranted vs going through hurting myself. Unfortunately, this was done at a standstill looking for neutral and using that good ole left foot that connected to our abdominal muscles. Ouch.

Riding to me is freedom. Love my wind therapy and trying to make a comeback.

Thank you in advance, Jennifer