Safe Exercises and Yoga for Stoma Hernia

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Lromano

I would like to know what exercises or yoga can I do that will not hurt my hernia?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,098 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Lromano.  This is a difficult question to answer in a way to suit everybody, because we are all different in the way the body reacts to exercise. I got my hernia before leaving hospital and not doing anything stenous that I can recall. Since then I hav e gradually and progressively exercised to the point where I more or less do what I did before and it hasn't adversely affected any of my hernias. However, it was a slow and careful process to see what I could do and I always wear a hernia belt ( or two) as a precaution whenever exercising. 

There is an old post in 'Premium Content' - 'Hernia and ostomies' - 'Pilates and ostomy with hernia', which has some useful comments with regard to exercise and they nearly all proffer caution - but none of them suggest not going for it.

I hope this is helpful 

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
HarleyDoll

How does one find 'Premium Content'?

Mrs.A

You should see the orange colored banner with the word "Content" written in white letters on the left side of this page. Premium content is the last one.

The Premium Content Collection is at the very bottom of each page as well.

Tip

Very good question; I have a stoma and a big hernia. My doc said he could fix the hernia, but because my wall of stomach is weak, it will come back; so I live with it.

Best to you.

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
HarleyDoll

I think it is only available to those with a full membership.

Mrs.A

No, I'm not a full member and I can see it right under this box that you type it.

sunasea

Hi, I'm 59, ostomy for 8 years. I have a hernia and I boogie board in the ocean, run marathons, and exercise with weights and situps, etc. Never an issue. Go do what you want, it's not going to kill you. Enjoy the hell out of life.

Sincerely,

Tom, God bless!