Are you with your soul mate? Find out now!

Replies
Views
Angelicamarie

Are you with your soul mate?

Definition: "A soulmate is someone that just gets you. It's a connection of minds, a mutual respect, an unconditional love and understanding."

Many of us marry early - at least I did, one would assume that's your soul mate. Is it?

Then there are others whose significant others physically died. On that note, I know people who never dated after that. Then there were others who married again, and again. Which one was your soul mate?

I've been married 35 years and out of this union had 2 children. Do some of us stay married for the sake of being comfortable? I think so!

This is for everyone - married, single, young and old.

Could we have possibly overlooked our soul mate because of what society says. Are you with your soul mate? ARE YOU?

Best Wishes

Angelicamarie

ron in mich

Hi Angelica, I've been married 44 years and it seems our marriage gets more distant as the years go by. I'm retired but my wife is still working and I think she resents that I don't have to go to work, but she could retire as she is 63 but doesn't want to talk about it. I used to think we would last forever but now I'm not so sure.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,365 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

scorsby

Angel.

Very perceptive and accurate in what you write.

Soul mates don't always last for life, but staying in the same relationship often does.

Living with an ex soul mate is very challenging.

John

Bill

Hello Angelicamarie. Thank you for another thought-provoking post, which I cannot pretend is an easy one to respond to. 

I have been married for more than 50 years but by your definition(s) of a 'soul-mate', I can safely say that my wife and I fluctuate between the four elements you mention. 

1) A connection of minds;   - We are both very independent people and think differently about some subjects and are in accord about others.  For years we hardly agreed about anything. I felt that this was a very healthy relationship whereby two people could live and work together without necessarily agreeing on everything. It teaches us to respect the fact that other people may have different perspectives to our own. More recently, with the chaotic political fiasco here in Britain, we have come to agree on that topic much more so than in previous years.  (who says that politics doesn't work?)

2) A mutual respect; This is a facet which also fluctuates depending on what it is under discussion or what is going on. What I can say, is that we usually have respect for our differences, which enables us to live amicably with each other, despite have different viewpoints.

3) An unconditional love; This depends on how one would define ' LOVE'. I have written several verses on the subject to try to clarify such a ponderous question and I have determined that my own concept of 'love', is not necessarily the same as that percieved by others. It can be summed up in my list of 'AIMS FOR TODAY'. For many personal and social reasons, I have come to the conclusion that emotional 'love' is something that cannot be relied upon in the long-term, so having a practical guide to how one should build a practical, positive and permanent relationship seems to be a much better option. 

4) An unconditional understanding: This aspect is linked with my previous comments in that one can have an 'understanding' without necessarily agreeing with the subject matter.  There are always conditions placed on the ability and capacity of  human understanding in that some are better at it than others. Sometimes it is conditional on the complexity of the subject matter and other times it is conditional on the amount of emotional and social investment we have in whatever is under scrutiny. From a personal relationship perspective, my wife and I may often disagree on subjects but that in no way reflects a lack of 'understanding'. What it does indicate is an unconditional acceptace of people's right to hold a different perspective.  

During my life I have met several people (men, women and animals) whom I might loosly describe as 'soul-mates' because we seem to be on the same wavelength in terms of perspectives on life. However, there is no way that I would want to live with these people on a permanent basis as I feel that it could become stifling to my independence to have someone close by all the time who thought along the same lines as I did.  The challenges which arise when living with a critic creates the dynamic atmosphere, whereby we are obliged to question and clarify our thinking on many matters which we might otherwise take for granted and assume that we are 'right'. Having someone nearby who can openly and honestly question everything, enables us to be much less complacent that our perspectives are the right or the only ones which are worthwhile. 

Sorry to be so long-winded in my reply, but it seems to be a much more complex subject that might at first appear.

Best wishes

Bill   

Sjb

I feel so fortunate. I feel I'm married to my soul mate! I ended up with an ileostomy as a complication from a mistake in a prior surgery. I don't think I would have survived the past 15 months without my hubby! We've been married 34 years on June 1! I look forward to many more!!

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Angelicamarie

Ron in Mich, Scorsby, and Bill... Hi, in an open forum such as this, I knew there would be different opinions. Based on the definition, I'm definitely not with my soulmate. But it seems like you all are and continue to make it work. Truly, it's enlightening to hear each one of your comments... Thanks for sharing and breaking it down...

Take care,

Angelicamrie

Angelicamarie

Sjb... Glad to hear, wishing you continued happiness... Thanks for sharing!

Take care,

Angelicamarie

csteven

I'm with my soulmate, although sometimes I feel - and I'm sure she feels - we're not always soulmates. People don't get along all the time, but I can't complain. For me, I was just lucky. You don't really know a person when you marry, but time will tell. Time has shown me that I'm married to a perfect woman. We share the same values regarding raising kids, education, money, God, treatment of others, and living an ethical life. I think that's what keeps us together. Plus, we laugh a lot.

I've found that if you can love your spouse's imperfections, and we all have them, then it's possible to make your spouse 'perfect'. So, to me, my wife is perfect. I wouldn't change a thing as I have grown to love her imperfections. I don't believe marriage is about changing people. Married life is like an airplane; people come aboard with baggage and you've got to suck it up and carry it and smile while they pass you their bags.

Angelicamarie

Hi csteven.... Hey thanks for sharing. I liked your analogy about the airplane. Good luck.....

Take care,

Angelicamarie

macsac1

I'd like to be your soulmate! Been married for 31 years to someone I seem to have less and less in common with. Gets lonely sometimes.

Angelicamarie

Hi macsac1... How are you? Well, my friend, I'm not available. I'm married, friend, but I do wish you luck!!! Thanks for sharing!

Take care,

Angelicamarie

dls

I found my soulmate, but he died after nine years. My parents were soulmates, but my father died after 19 years. The good news: my maternal grandparents were soulmates in a time when marriage had more utility than romance. They were married for 66 years before my grandfather died (my senior year of college). They used to hold hands at Mass. My mother told me they used to hold hands when they walked together to pay their mortgage in the 1920s. Some of us get lucky, but it takes a hell of a lot of hard work.

iMacG5

Hey Angel, thank you for another great post. I’m assuming the definition you provided is your own. I don’t disagree at all but as I age I tend to get microscopic with definitions. Something like what Bill offers in his reply which, to me, is another masterpiece. My wife and I weren’t old enough to drink legally when we married almost 58 years ago. We were “in love” by any definition of the term. We were definitely “Body Mates” but all we knew about souls was they got stained when we sinned. Catholic education had a real hold on us.
This post has become a learning experience.
Sincerely,
Mike

iMacG5

Hi Csteven. Congratulations! Don ’t know if many can claim to have the perfect spouse. However, the definition might help understand. It’s like beauty being in the eyes of the beholder. It could be evaluating one’s behavior as “intolerable” compared to “no big deal”. We’re all different and our expectations probably differ. Most things change with time. As we age we mature, hopefully, and become wiser. Our needs and desires change and at no particular paces. I think what we needed from each other fifty-some years ago is way different today. Our tolerance and appreciation of each other might get us to a better place.
You’re a lucky guy. Thanks for sharing.
Respectfully,
Mike

Angelicamarie

Hi dls, wow everyone you mentioned found their soulmate. Lady, you had great examples. Thanks for sharing!

Best wishes,

Angelicamarie

Angelicamarie

Mike.. No, the definition wasn't mine. I was of drinking age, but didn't have a clue about anything. Wow, Mike, that's a long time, congratulations. I have to agree, it does change as you age, for sure. I loved him, but I'm not sure based on the definition if he was my soulmate. Heck, it's water under the bridge now. If only I knew then what I know now. Thanks for sharing!

Best wishes

Angelicamarie

iMacG5

Hey Angel, again you give us something else to consider.  If we did know then what we know now, how much would we have done differently?  I entertained that thought on occasion and came up with lots of mistakes I would probably make again.  They were so much fun the first time.  

Thanks again,

Mike 

iMacG5

Hi Bill. Your reply to Angelicamarie’s “thought-provoking” post could be an entire book you managed to artfully consolidate into a few wonderful paragraphs. Our definition of terms like “love, respect, understanding, acceptance, etc.” could vary significantly from one of us to another. Based on our own meanings we might significantly alter our perception of our relationships in good and bad ways. I won’t attempt to dig any deeper into your and Angel’s exceptional descriptions and explanations but I do thank you both and all the other contributors for what I’m learning. I am sad for anyone whose relationship is less than they had hoped for and I wish it might improve by some mutual efforts.
Respectfully,
Mike

iMacG5

Hi Jennie.  Not sure what you might be looking for but this story is simple as were we. All I was trying to say is we weren’t smart enough to know all the hard work we would be facing, the cost of survival and the sacrifices we would be making. We just didn’t really care.
It’s our 57th wedding anniversary today and I’m not sure we’re any smarter but we’re still in love, maybe even more deeply than before. We’re enjoying the grandkids and still don’t give a crap about stuff we have little control over.  Sorry to disappoint you.
Respectfully,
Mike

Angelicamarie

Mike, Happy Anniversary!

Best Wishes,

Angel

iMacG5

Sincere thanks, Angel.

Mike