Nerve Block for Rectal Pain

In this discussion
Replies
Views
labjano

I have had many perineal fistula/abscess surgeries for Crohns Disease resulting in significant amount of scar tissue deep inside my rectal area. Now I have constant pain when I have to sit for any period of time. Has anyone heard of a perineal pelvic nerve block procedure? I'm trying to find a doctor that will do it. Any advice or names would be greatly appreciated. I've been pretty miserable for awhile.

Thanks,

Jan

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,086 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mark1070

So sorry you're suffering, Jan. Have your doc(s) pinpointed the source of the pain? I know some of the pain management docs do nerve blocks. I hope you find relief soon.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Bill

Hello labjano. 

I had never heard of perineal pelvic nerve block procedure, but thank you very much for drawing it to my attention. I have looked it up on the internet and it appears to be available on the NHS. However, the fact that it is only a temporary solution and the possible side-effects would need to be considered carefully before I would contemplate opting for this approach.  Nonetheless these things are worth knowing about.

Best wishes

Bill

labjano

Thank you. I have an appt on the 25th with my primary Dr to get a referral to a pain clinic that does this type of procedure.

labjano

Thank you for the advise. I will continue to research this and hopefully find a permanent solution. Wish I could just shop on Amazon and purchase a brand new bum instead!

Take care

Jan

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Bill

Hello Jan.

I just love the concept of being able to shop on Amazon for a new bum. However, in my case I would probably be looking for a full body transplant!

Best wishes 

Bill

labjano

Hello - On October 18th I had a Pudendal Nerve Block procedure done. I really had high hopes that this would be the solution to my chronic rectal pain. Unfortunately it didn't work so I guess it's back to the drawing board for me. Any suggestions would be welcomed again.