Looking for the Best Shrimp Scampi Recipe!

Replies
Views
w30bob

What? We don't always have to talk about ostomies, do we? Let's live a little.

So as a single guy, you can guess my culinary expertise is pretty lacking. That means when I want something tasty I need to either find it premade in the freezer section of the supermarket, convince an ex or one of my friends (who can cook) to make it and invite me over, or (heaven forbid) try to make it myself. Lately I've been hankering for some shrimp scampi. I think it's because Red Lobster is running those endless shrimp meal ads on TV and the shrimp scampi looks so good. So I found a bag of said stuff in the freezer section of my local Weis Markets. Sure looked good in the picture on the front of the bag. Followed the directions to a tee, but it tasted like crap. The shrimp tasted like plastic and the scampi sauce seemed good enough to give to my dog.........and she seemed to think it was pretty good.

I decided tonight to go get the stuff I'll need and then try to make it tomorrow night. So off to Walmart I went. I got crushed garlic, lemons, butter, some snazzy spices........and a couple pounds of pre-cooked shrimp.....most of the obvious stuff I'm pretty sure is needed to make scampi. Now all I need is a good recipe. This is where, if you haven't already guessed it, you guys come in. How about sharing that fantastic scampi recipe you have with your old pal Bob (that's me). You know, the recipe your Mom handed down to you that she got from her Mom.....and can be traced all the way back to the Mayflower. Yeah, that one. C'mon, don't keep it all to yourself......I'm sure there are some other ostomates out there that want to do the same as me and make up a batch soon. So if you got any good recipes for the finest scampi on the planet...........please share.

Thanks in advance,

Bob

britathrt60

Hi Bob

Simple...just Google the recipe...there will be so many yummy recipes on there...

Have fun in the kitchen..

Angela

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,315 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Don't forget the dry white wine, crushed red pepper, chopped parsley, salt and pepper to taste.

w30bob

Hi Angela,

Yup....I did that. And the problem is that there are so many recipes! I have no way to tell which are good and which suck.......so that's why I'm asking folks to share recipes that they know are good and have stood the test of time. I guess I'm trying to narrow the field based on real-world results.

Hi songbird.....hear ya! I tried a couple of those Google recipes that didn't use the wine (because I didn't have any).....and they sucked!

Regards,

Bob

Bill

Hello Bob.

My wife likes scampy so I have tried it a few times and, like you I thought it was not to my taste.  I upped the game to prawns, which were better but still not quite right for me. Then I upped it again to KING PRAWNS and I found these to be much more to my liking. However, because I am not over-keen on bread and breadcrumbs I have them naked, with seafood sauce (which needs to be selected by trial and error to suit taste) and salad.

This does not need much preparation and (if you buy cooked prawns) no cooking at all. 

I hope you find something you like soon - but keep experimenting as tastes change over time. You never know you might stumble upon a recipe of your own, which you can then share. 

Best wishes

Bill

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
xnine

Garlic Butter Shrimp Scampi This looked like a good one. For best results, I would never use precooked shrimp. It is not that hard, just do not overcook the shrimp.

newyorktorque

Bob, since your shrimp is precooked, take that into consideration once you have a recipe. Overcooked seafood is awful. I would try to make the sauce first, then add the shrimp at the end and heat through.

Past Member

Hi Bob, you have to use fresh jumbo shrimp from the "Seafood" section of the grocery market, peel it, slice the center and remove the vein and use at least 1/2 to one cup of dry white wine and in addition to the other ingredients you bought. Oh, and sprinkle a little love! :) I make this all the time, it's very, very good.

Puppyluv56

Sorry Bob,

No help from this puppy! I had not turned an oven on in 25 years until recently. My husband and I started out cooking together. But everything I did, he would ask why are you doing it like that, and take it to do his way so it was very plain to see, he would be the cook in this family and that was perfectly okay with me! That has been the way it is for all these years. Well, he started working out of town and his days were long so I decided I would take up the cooking again. That is as long as he did not criticize my cooking or technique. Well that was not to be, he can't help himself. He would always ask what or how I made something and I would tell him and he would say, why did you use that? Yuck! Or something stupid! Then once he would taste it, he really liked it! Unfortunately, for him, he criticized my cooking once too many times and I quit. He really loved what I made but he has to make the comments prior to tasting and that keeps him in trouble. So I am back to not cooking and loving it!
Good luck with your Shrimp Scampi. If you find a great recipe, please share and I can make it when he is out of town! Shhh don't tell him!

puppyluv

w30bob

Puppy... you crack me up!!! You guys are quite a couple. Keep checking here for that recipe!

Regards,

Bob

w30bob

Xnine.....I hear ya, but you seriously underestimate my level of laziness when it comes to cooking.

;O)

Torquey.......great point......I'm cooking the shrimp twice....no wonder they taste like crap. Will do as you suggest.

Songbird.....got it.....will get some wine tomorrow as well as some angel hair.

Thanks folks,

Bob

xnine

If you want some shrimp, it does not get any easier than this. You can do it while watching TV.

Posted by xnine, on Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:54 am
Shrimp Ceviche

1 lb shrimp (frozen cooked)

Juice of 1 lime or 4 – 5 key limes

1 tablespoon olive oil

3 cloves garlic

1 lb ripe tomatoes

1 medium sweet onion sliced and diced

¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped

¼ cup ketchup

3 dashes of hot sauce (whatever kind)

½ teaspoon dried oregano

1 fresh serrano chili sliced and diced

Salt and pepper to taste (1/4 teaspoon of each)

Thaw shrimp, (you can boil raw shrimp if you like) remove tails and cut into 2-3 pieces, put in a glass bowl and add lime juice.

Chop tomatoes, removing seeds but reserving juice. Chop remaining ingredients and add everything to the shrimp. Mix well.

Serve on tostadas. Enjoy.

warrior

What time is dinner, Bob?

w30bob

Sorry warrior........you missed it. We had a place set for you and everything. Oh well..........we'll make it again real soon. My ex-girlfriend gave me an even simpler recipe than Xnine's..........it was great, but I was too lazy to make pasta, so I just ate it like shrimp soup. Will try Xnine's recipe next........and if you're in the area you are of course invited!!

Got to take the pooch out before she pees on my nice clean floor.......

Later,

Bob

MindAboveMatter

Hey Bob, just had my weekly family dinner and made a shrimp scampi that everyone raved about. So simple to make..

One whole stick of salted butter melted in a large frying pan.

Two tablespoons of smashed garlic (not diced), into the hot butter.

One large beefsteak tomato diced small, into the butter and cook 5 minutes.

Add tablespoon of parsley, teaspoon oregano, lots of salt.

Now throw in a pound and a half of large peeled deveined raw shrimp and don't cook long! Maybe 3-4 minutes because you will now add the one pound of angel hair right into the frying pan. I topped mine with some crumbled feta cheese because I'm Greek but you don't have to.

I promise you will love it!!

w30bob

Hi Mind,

Thanks! I'm now hungry just reading your recipe... sounds great and will try it next.

Regards,

Bob