Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates 20,306 members

People in the UK

Posted by Butt_belly, on Fri Oct 25, 2019 11:02 am

i have a very high watery output.So when going out i tend not to really drink and dont eat very much.This is because many times when using transport my bag gets really full to amost bursting piont.Then we will need to find a place with a toilet but parking can be a problem.So i am trying to get people with stomas added to the list of hidden disabillities on the blue badge scheme.I have started a petition for this but need people to sign.So if you feel that we should be included into the list please help me and sign..THANK YOU

http://chng.it/KD2tCTHpTX

Past Member
Reply by Past Member, on Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:17 pm

Strange really how ostomates aren't already on such a list.. For people outside the UK, what does a Blue Badge mean? Is that a toilet pass? 

Reply by Butt_belly, on Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:20 pm
withed wrote:

Strange really how ostomates aren't already on such a list.. For people outside the UK, what does a Blue Badge mean? Is that a toilet pass? 

It's for people to park in a disabled bay

Reply by lovely, on Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:04 pm
Butt_belly wrote:
withed wrote:

It's for people to park in a disabled bay

I think that is a great idea. We have a handicap card to hangover the mirrow. Sometime when we get out of the car if we aren't displaying a handicap they look at you funny. I have back problems and can't walk long distances. Maybe if we had a different colored one for disabilties not seen it would be great. Hope you can get something done.

Reply by w30bob, on Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:06 pm

Lovely,

I agree that folks over here do look at people who park in Handicapped parking spaces rather snidely..........but that's because it's abused over here and there are LOTS of folks claiming a handicap who are perfecty capable of parking in a normal space and walking into the store.  My Mom has emphysama from smoking her brains out when she was younger......and now she takes a few steps and can't breathe.  So when I ride with her she always pulls into the handicap parking spaces right in front of the stores.  On a few occasions I've talked to other handicapped folks while waiting for her to get out of the car and gather her things.  I'd venture a guess at around 1/3 of all those claiming to be handicapped really aren't........they're just lazy.  But part of the blame rests on the Docs as well.  I've been offered Handicap status more than a few times by my Docs, despite the fact that there's nothing wrong with me.  That being said, I do agree that folks suffering from Crohn's and other intestinal diseases that may need to use a bathroom quickly should be considered Handicapped.  I remember fondly just finding a bathroom in the nick of time back before my ostomy days.  And it wasn't fun.  I think the different colored Handicap sign for those with non-obvious disabilities is BRILLIANT.  It might help reduce some sneers from onlookers and silence those a bit more vocal.  Great idea!!

regards,

bob

Reply by lovely, on Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:31 pm
w30bob wrote:

Lovely,

I agree that folks over here do look at people who park in Handicapped parking spaces rather snidely..........but that's because it's abused over here and there are LOTS of folks claiming a handicap who are perfecty capable of parking in a normal space and walking into the store.  My Mom has emphysama from smoking her brains out when she was younger......and now she takes a few steps and can't breathe.  So when I ride with her she always pulls into the handicap parking spaces right in front of the stores.  On a few occasions I've talked to other handicapped folks while waiting for her to get out of the car and gather her things.  I'd venture a guess at around 1/3 of all those claiming to be handicapped really aren't........they're just lazy.  But part of the blame rests on the Docs as well.  I've been offered Handicap status more than a few times by my Docs, despite the fact that there's nothing wrong with me.  That being said, I do agree that folks suffering from Crohn's and other intestinal diseases that may need to use a bathroom quickly should be considered Handicapped.  I remember fondly just finding a bathroom in the nick of time back before my ostomy days.  And it wasn't fun.  I think the different colored Handicap sign for those with non-obvious disabilities is BRILLIANT.  It might help reduce some sneers from onlookers and silence those a bit more vocal.  Great idea!!

regards,

bob

Thanks Bob, handicap parking is very misused. Like I said I have back problems and also Sciatica nerve pain. I can walk short distances then it feels like if I don't stop or sit down I will fall down. I have had people look at me funny when I get out of my car and I am not limping or something. I feel for people who have to make to the bathroom quick or have other problems that need to use handicap parking places and can't find one.

Reply by panther, on Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:18 am

If local council's looked on each individuals case and circumstances I 100% agree with it but not for everyone with stoma's as would be missued by many who have no need for one. I have very high outpit myself so understand the problems you and other's have with a high output, I'm lucky to a degree lol I do have a blue badge for other health reasons still doesn't always help with parking for toilets but better than nothing 

Reply by Bill, on Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:41 am

Hello Butt_belly.

Thank yo for your post, which has recieved some great answers.  I don't know if you are aware, but th UK government announced a loosening of restrictions on disabled driving badges (the blue badge) recently and it is going to include people with hidden disabilities. It seems to me that this is exactly what you are asking for.  It is the Social Services Departments who deal with the practicalities of authorising badges so, if yhou can present a good enough case for recieving the badge, then they should agree under the new rules. I would advise that you prepare yourself for also making an appeal ( or three) because from my experience, Local Government authorities have an institutionalised habit of turning people down for most things on the first occsaion they ask. I believe this is because the vast majority of people just leave it at that and think they will  never get what they are asking for. Statistics show that people who appeal are much more likely to get things and people who appeal thorugh a third-party  ( such as a solicitor or even an informed, articulate friend) are even more likely to get whatever it is they are applying for. Perseverance and persistance seem to be the passwords for dealing with these organisations. 

PS: They Offered me a badge years ago, without my even asking - but I declined because I felt I didn't need one! They did however, write me a letter stating that my bicycle was used as a walking aid and should be treated in the same way as a wheelchair. This was what I needed to present to people who were likely to stop me cycling into the toilets.  I do like to have things that more precisely meet my needs!

Best wishes

Bill 

Reply by Butt_belly, on Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:39 am
panther wrote:

If local council's looked on each individuals case and circumstances I 100% agree with it but not for everyone with stoma's as would be missued by many who have no need for one. I have very high outpit myself so understand the problems you and other's have with a high output, I'm lucky to a degree lol I do have a blue badge for other health reasons still doesn't always help with parking for toilets but better than nothing 

Hey panther do you have FAP ? 

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.