Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Dating 20,696 members

Persistent thick stool consistency

Posted by Newbeee, on Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:26 pm

I am noticing persistent thick stool consistency and looking for dietary tips to help with this issue.  I am maintaining a good fluid intake and eating pretty much anything that I want to have without any issues and am not purposefully eaing items that I would know to expect to thicken the stool.  Due to the thick consistency I am often having wafers/bags that are not staying secure or often needing changed daily, and sometimes twice a day (totally irritating when this occurs) because the stool is thick and does not flow easily into the bag.  I was previously having more "thin" but not loose/diarrhea stool which was very manageable and tolerable.  Initially I thought it was a slowing of peristalsis and just a reduced output volume.  But this seems to be becoming a new pattern of output. 

Reply by Mark1070, on Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:35 pm

Could be dehydration. Do you have an ileostomy or a colostomy? 

Reply by warrior, on Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:58 pm

hi there and welcome.  it would help if we knew  a little back ground...  there are questions marks on your profile??  what appliance wise and type of surgery you do you have? . Sounds like you and I share same symptoms.. but the solid output doesnt effect my appliance. I do hydrate but eh it is what it is.   you might be leaking or changing wafers due to inferior equipment.   what other brands have you tried?  good thread. let's hear form others...... 3 2 1  go!

Reply by lovely, on Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:15 pm

I was having thick stool consistency also but here lately it has gotten better. I have tried to cut down on my carbs and I am taking a chewable fiber named Fiber Advance Gummies. A lot depends on your diet. Good luck

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:38 pm

You may want to eat those things that typically make your poo loose. Greens, corn Chowder does it for me and it is yummy! If all else fails, I have used Citricel in the past! Gentle and does not taste too bad! 
Puppy

Reply by britathrt60, on Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:31 am

Hi Newbee...you can use Miralax with a Colostomy or Ileostomy to get the stool consistency you want..it is not absorbed into the bloodstream so you cant overdose on it like you can with other laxatives...if you get the runs from it drop the amount you are taking.. cheers!

Google  use Miralax with a Colostomy or Ileostomy bag  it will give you all the info you need.

Ange

Reply by Bill, on Sat Jan 04, 2020 4:40 am

Hello Newbee.

I sometimes get a period of harder stool, which is concerning in terms of blockages. However, for the most part there is still output so I don't bother too much. As soon as it gets to the stage where I'm not having output , I take Metamucil and that seems to sort it all out.  My own theory is that my output is being affected by the medication I am on, so it is a compromise between putting up with the changes or discontinuing the meds.  I am booking myself in for a medication review sometime this month (or next) to see if I can cut down on some of the medication. We shall then see what effect that has on output.

Best wishes

Bill 

Reply by Newbeee, on Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:54 pm
Bill wrote:

Hello Newbee.

I sometimes get a period of harder stool, which is concerning in terms of blockages. However, for the most part there is still output so I don't bother too much. As soon as it gets to the stage where I'm not having output , I take Metamucil and that seems to sort it all out.  My own theory is that my output is being affected by the medication I am on, so it is a compromise between putting up with the changes or discontinuing the meds.  I am booking myself in for a medication review sometime this month (or next) to see if I can cut down on some of the medication. We shall then see what effect that has on output.

Best wishes

Bill 

Thank you Bill

Reply by Newbeee, on Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:55 pm
Mark1070 wrote:

Could be dehydration. Do you have an ileostomy or a colostomy? 

I have a colostomy and am still very anxious with anything I think may not be "normal"

Reply by Newbeee, on Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:02 pm
warrior wrote:

hi there and welcome.  it would help if we knew  a little back ground...  there are questions marks on your profile??  what appliance wise and type of surgery you do you have? . Sounds like you and I share same symptoms.. but the solid output doesnt effect my appliance. I do hydrate but eh it is what it is.   you might be leaking or changing wafers due to inferior equipment.   what other brands have you tried?  good thread. let's hear form others...... 3 2 1  go!

Thank you warrior!  This was an emergent unexpected surgery resulting in a colostomy.  I have gone from new post op liqiud to very soft and now more firm and thick.  I was doing so good managing the very soft and now this change.  I have upped my fluid intake and really think the supplies are not the issue.  This is a temporary, so I am looking to manage the symptoms and situations realistically for what is hopefully a few more months.

Reply by Newbeee, on Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:03 pm
lovely wrote:

I was having thick stool consistency also but here lately it has gotten better. I have tried to cut down on my carbs and I am taking a chewable fiber named Fiber Advance Gummies. A lot depends on your diet. Good luck

Thank you Lovely

Reply by Newbeee, on Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:04 pm
Puppyluv56 wrote:

You may want to eat those things that typically make your poo loose. Greens, corn Chowder does it for me and it is yummy! If all else fails, I have used Citricel in the past! Gentle and does not taste too bad! 
Puppy

I am so craving a good salad and corn chowder ..... maybe a little bit to see if that helps :)

Reply by Newbeee, on Sat Jan 04, 2020 1:06 pm
britathrt60 wrote:

Hi Newbee...you can use Miralax with a Colostomy or Ileostomy to get the stool consistency you want..it is not absorbed into the bloodstream so you cant overdose on it like you can with other laxatives...if you get the runs from it drop the amount you are taking.. cheers!

Google  use Miralax with a Colostomy or Ileostomy bag  it will give you all the info you need.

Ange

Thank you Ange - I have started tryng Miralax.  Fingers crossed this improves soon.  I am always anxious if I think anything is a problem or not "normal"

Reply by britathrt60, on Sun Jan 05, 2020 2:28 am

Newbee..I hope the Miralax works for you and glad your colostomy is not permanent...I wish you all the very best.

Ange

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.