Need tips for persistent thick stool - help!

Replies
Views
Newbeee

I am noticing persistent thick stool consistency and looking for dietary tips to help with this issue. I am maintaining a good fluid intake and eating pretty much anything that I want to have without any issues and am not purposefully eating items that I would know to expect to thicken the stool. Due to the thick consistency, I am often having wafers/bags that are not staying secure or often needing changed daily, and sometimes twice a day (totally irritating when this occurs) because the stool is thick and does not flow easily into the bag. I was previously having more "thin" but not loose/diarrhea stool which was very manageable and tolerable. Initially, I thought it was a slowing of peristalsis and just a reduced output volume. But this seems to be becoming a new pattern of output.

Mark1070

Could be dehydration. Do you have an ileostomy or a colostomy?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
warrior

Hi there and welcome. It would help if we knew a little background... There are question marks on your profile? What appliance wise and type of surgery do you have? Sounds like you and I share the same symptoms, but the solid output doesn't affect my appliance. I do hydrate, but eh, it is what it is. You might be leaking or changing wafers due to inferior equipment. What other brands have you tried? Good thread. Let's hear from others... 3 2 1 go!

lovely

I was having thick stool consistency also, but here lately it has gotten better. I have tried to cut down on my carbs, and I am taking a chewable fiber named Fiber Advance Gummies. A lot depends on your diet. Good luck.

Puppyluv56

You may want to eat those things that typically make your poo loose. Greens, corn chowder does it for me and it is yummy! If all else fails, I have used Citrucel in the past! Gentle and does not taste too bad!
Puppy

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
britathrt60

Hi Newbie...you can use Miralax with a colostomy or ileostomy to get the stool consistency you want. It is not absorbed into the bloodstream, so you can't overdose on it like you can with other laxatives. If you get the runs from it, drop the amount you are taking. Cheers!

Google "use Miralax with a colostomy or ileostomy bag." It will give you all the info you need.

Ange

Bill

Hello Newbee.

I sometimes get a period of harder stool, which is concerning in terms of blockages. However, for the most part there is still output so I don't bother too much. As soon as it gets to the stage where I'm not having output , I take Metamucil and that seems to sort it all out.  My own theory is that my output is being affected by the medication I am on, so it is a compromise between putting up with the changes or discontinuing the meds.  I am booking myself in for a medication review sometime this month (or next) to see if I can cut down on some of the medication. We shall then see what effect that has on output.

Best wishes

Bill 

Newbeee

Thank you, Bill.

Newbeee

I have a colostomy and am still very anxious with anything I think may not be "normal."

Newbeee

Thank you, warrior! This was an emergent unexpected surgery resulting in a colostomy. I have gone from new post-op liquid to very soft and now more firm and thick. I was doing so well managing the very soft and now this change. I have upped my fluid intake and really think the supplies are not the issue. This is temporary, so I am looking to manage the symptoms and situations realistically for what is hopefully a few more months.

Newbeee

Thank you, Lovely

Newbeee

I am so craving a good salad and corn chowder..... maybe a little bit to see if that helps :)

Newbeee

Thank you Ange - I have started trying Miralax. Fingers crossed this improves soon. I am always anxious if I think anything is a problem or not "normal"

britathrt60

Newbie... I hope the Miralax works for you and glad your colostomy is not permanent... I wish you all the very best.

Ange