Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Dating 20,934 members

Well, I came through well

Posted by currentsitguy, on Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:34 pm

So far so good. I came out of surgery at about 6PM yesterday. Today they've already got me up and walking. I'm pretty surprised she closed the site of the stoma. It's ice chips at least until tomorrow, at least they yanked the NG Tube about a half hour ago. I'll be in the catheter for probably another two days, my urine looks like cherry koolaide.

Reply by NewlifeVictoria, on Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:37 pm

Wow I just clicked on the site saw you wrote you just had surgery yesterday omg really... pray every thing is great and your on your way to being healthy good luck!! Tell me about it if you like and praying for a speedy recovery   Sincerely Victoria 

Reply by Shar, on Thu Jan 23, 2020 12:39 pm

Great---- good luck to you and your new path.   

Reply by Bill, on Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:01 pm

Congratulations! and I hope it continues to progress well for you.

Best wishes

Bill

Reply by iMacG5, on Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:22 pm

Thank you so much for the good news.

Mike

Reply by Bagface, on Thu Jan 23, 2020 3:52 pm

Currentsitguy-Congratulations! They closed my site, too, when I had my reversal. I bet you'll be another success story. Good luck and keep us posted!

Reply by currentsitguy, on Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:24 pm
NewlifeVictoria wrote:

Wow I just clicked on the site saw you wrote you just had surgery yesterday omg really... pray every thing is great and your on your way to being healthy good luck!! Tell me about it if you like and praying for a speedy recovery   Sincerely Victoria 

Well, I am really quite surprised at how well I feel less than 24 hours post-op, particularly since this was full open, not laproscopic. Yes, there is pain along the mid-line, but the pain meds (morphine every 2 hours) has made it bearable. The only thing that really hurts is to cough.

The nurse was here about 2 hours ago to do vitals and says se can hear some intestinal activity, so it sounds as if things are starting to wake back up.

The surgeon told me there were a lot of "adhesions" she had to repair, but she knew they were there from when she did the emergency colostomy so they weren't unexpected. When I was initially admitted for this I had what she described a "Fistulas everwhere", so there was still some residual repair after the bulk of the healing was complete.

Initially this surgery was supposed to take place about 6 months ago but my surgeon broke her hand and I really wanted to stick with the person who initially did this so I chose to wait.

She assures me I should regain "normal" bowel function. I am hoping she is right. She took about 1/3 or so of the colon (3-4 inches into the Transverse) so we'll see.

Reply by Newbeee, on Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:45 pm
currentsitguy wrote:
NewlifeVictoria wrote:

Well, I am really quite surprised at how well I feel less than 24 hours post-op, particularly since this was full open, not laproscopic. Yes, there is pain along the mid-line, but the pain meds (morphine every 2 hours) has made it bearable. The only thing that really hurts is to cough.

The nurse was here about 2 hours ago to do vitals and says se can hear some intestinal activity, so it sounds as if things are starting to wake back up.

The surgeon told me there were a lot of "adhesions" she had to repair, but she knew they were there from when she did the emergency colostomy so they weren't unexpected. When I was initially admitted for this I had what she described a "Fistulas everwhere", so there was still some residual repair after the bulk of the healing was complete.

Initially this surgery was supposed to take place about 6 months ago but my surgeon broke her hand and I really wanted to stick with the person who initially did this so I chose to wait.

She assures me I should regain "normal" bowel function. I am hoping she is right. She took about 1/3 or so of the colon (3-4 inches into the Transverse) so we'll see.

Currentsitguy - your update is very encouraging!!  Following your progress is already easing some of my anxiety of my upcoming surgery in a few weeks.  Continued positive wishes for a speedy recovery.

Reply by currentsitguy, on Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:19 pm
Newbeee wrote:
currentsitguy wrote:
NewlifeVictoria wrote:

Currentsitguy - your update is very encouraging!!  Following your progress is already easing some of my anxiety of my upcoming surgery in a few weeks.  Continued positive wishes for a speedy recovery.

I will tell you that in the two hours since my previous post, things are getting quite noisy down there.

This will sound silly but earlier today when the doctor came to check my incision I got a peek. It was quite thrilling to see my whole abdomen again.

Reply by w30bob, on Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:00 pm

Currents............that's great to hear.  Speedy recovery, Dude!

regards,

bob

Reply by Bagface, on Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:59 pm
currentsitguy wrote:
NewlifeVictoria wrote:

Wow, you're doing great! I'm really happy for you!

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:34 am

This post just showed up on my list! I had just finished writing a note checking on you and  asking for an update and POW! There it was! So glad you are doing so well! Continue to do well okay! 
keep us posted! Love success stories!

Pup

Reply by lovely, on Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:26 am

Hi currentsitguy, so happy to hear your good news. I know it will encourage others who may be facing the same thing. I wish you the best.

Reply by bob1022, on Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:40 am

wow that is amazing it took me 10 days after both surgerys for things to start working again thats awesome good luck

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.