Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Dating 20,920 members

I've been discharged! Sitting here waiting for the paperwork. Some practical advice from experience

Posted by currentsitguy, on Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:52 am

They tell me keeping healthy people in the hospital is insurance fraud :)

OK, some practical advice for reversal candidates that I have learned through this ordeal:

The most important thing you can do during your time with the bag is pelvic floor exercises. That will really help afterward in that you will have kept your anal sphincter muscles in shape and will not be in a position to have an accidenent if you are more than say a few steps from the bathroom. I saw yesterday that while it was frequent, it was never an emergency, more like "Again? Sigh".

I have been told by the surgical team that while initially frequent (more than 10) bowel movements a day is normal for post surgical recovery is normal, it should not be a permanent situation. If it persists it can be a sign of some underlying infection and you should call your doctor. Assuming healthy tissue was reconnected, 2-3 times a day is normal, maybe less if you are lucky.

FOLLOW YOUR LOW FIBER DIET. You'll be on one after surgery. Follow it. It helps in recovery and healing.

The more you move around, the better and more quickly you'll feel better. GET UP AND WALK! I was up and down the halls here even before the NG Tube was out. Yeah, I know it feels weird walking with the catheter. Deal with it. You'll be grateful afterwards.

Don't be afraid of pain medication during your recovery. It's going to hurt like heck when you cough. The thing is you need to clear your lungs to prevent pneumonia. The meds help with this. I was rather liberal asking for morphine in the days following. I am not going home a raving junkie looking for my next fix of smack. I am also not stuck here with secondary lung issues.

The compression bandage help prevent hernias. It is not foolproof. Don't be stupid in your movements, be gentle and conservative in your movement.

Jello is your friend. Get to like it, you'll be eating a lot of it in the first few days.

I am a Type1 Diabetic. The food they will feed you is not going to be good for your blood glucose level. Hospitals have no idea what is good for us. It is what it is. Just make sure you are getting enough insulin.

Now, on a more personal level. Boredom is a mind killer. It's not conducive to healing. Like to read? Now is the time to catch up. Bring things to read or watch. 

Be nice to your nurses. They have a hard job and a lot of patients are not pleasant. A little kindnees and decency will go a long way when you really do need them. When you push that call button with every little ache, moan, and complaint word gets around.

This one is going to sound silly. Do you own a Nannycam? Get one. Taking a look at home every now and then really helped me to keep my spirits up. I could check in on my new puppy. Mine has a speaker so I could even talk to him. I think it made him happy. I know it did for me.

Reply by Bill, on Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:24 pm

Congratulations! I hope everything keeps going well for you

Best wishes

Bill

Reply by d.b. mccrea, on Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:55 pm

Your insights were excellent, especially about being respectful of nurses. Despite my many health issues (4-time cancer survivor!), I always resolve that I will be polite and respectful toward all the healthcare providers. I strive to be the perfect patient!!

Reply by Puppyluv56, on Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:40 pm

Yay!!!! Congratulations and welcome home! Thanks for the great Info. Especially for those that have a hope of a reversal In the future but also goes for any and all surgery. 
You said it all! Thanks!

Puppyluv

Reply by w30bob, on Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:38 pm

Currents, 

Great insights. I'll second the "be nice to the help" comment. Each time I was in for an operation I went out of my way to be "over the top" nice to everyone I dealt with.  And I was always amazed at how "bitchy" other patients were and how bad they treated the people who managed their well being. Not too smart to piss off the folks who are caring for you......yet many patients I saw treated them like crap. Be nice!

Glad you're home. 

Regards,

Bob

Reply by lovely, on Tue Jan 28, 2020 11:39 pm

Glad you made it home and the advice about being good to the help goes for any thing you may be in for.. Thanks for the update.

Reply by britathrt60, on Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:06 am

Terriic news that you are home and....awwww I bet your little fur baby was thrilled to see you...best wishes.

Ange

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.