Hernia near stoma - Missed diagnosis? Ultrasound needed? Pale stoma & blockage?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
royalrosepdx

I think I have a hernia near my stoma. I just noticed a small bulge on the right side of my stoma. I just got home from a 4-day inpatient hospital stay. I was dehydrated from increased output and pain. I had no other classic symptoms of stomach flu or flare-like symptoms. I got a CT scan, X-ray in the hospital.

How did we miss this hernia? Should I get an ultrasound?

Also, my stoma has looked pale. Could there be a blockage or restriction of some sort?

If you have had a parastomal hernia, did you have these symptoms?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hi Rose,

I recently have gotten a bulge on the right side of the stoma, left of the navel. I have a CT scheduled for March and see my surgeon in April. The only symptom so far is sometimes burning-throbbing pain.

I sincerely hope they can help you out soon.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Cplumber

Check into a Nu Hope ostomy hernia belt. It will help hold things in place and give you support. If you search it on Amazon, you can see what they look like. Mine are covered by insurance. I wear an 8-inch wide belt with a center hole.

Good luck.
Cplumber.

Past Member

Me too, C.

Past Member

After my last CT scan in Nov/19, they confirmed what I already knew: it's the size of a hard ball, a hernia to the right of my stoma. It sticks out at least 2" and added 4" to my pant size. In Ontario, Canada, I'm probably going to have to wait at least a year, if not longer, to get this fixed. I made my own belt with some wide elastic. I cut the ends to fit through the loops on my one-piece bag and used liquid glue for material cloth so it won't fray. It works, but surgery is needed.

Staying Hydrated with an Ostomy with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
PETey.13

I had a large peristomal hernia. (Repaired Nov. 2019) I had no pain, since I have paresthesia within my abdomen. I was really worried about the hernia because I could not feel anything. I also had two small incisional hernias. These appeared along suture lines that gave way. Hernia belts do help but can be difficult in the summer's heat. My stoma prolapsed by 3 inches but stayed nice and pink. I only had one impaction that required hospitalization. So, my surgeons kept putting off my surgery for 5 years.

NewlifeVictoria

Hello there, happy Friday my friend. I have a hernia and have been trying to get a belt. Maybe you can tell me more about what you use? It's not comfortable when I wear it, but I want to wear one more and not feel this way, you know what I mean? Please know that I'm going through the same stuff. Reply when you can, okay? I appreciate it! Sincere friend, Victoria  

NewlifeVictoria

Hello cplumber, thanks for replying back and I wonder, does your insurance pay for supplies? That's great... what kind works well? I've been searching and bought a couple, but they don't work. Also, I noticed you gained weight, but anyway, what are some things we shouldn't do with a hernia? Or anything you were told about avoiding? It would be nice to hear. I will say this, for me, it's no joke, this stuff I go through, and I'm sure you have stuff too. I'm sorry, my ostomy buddy. I hope you're doing better these days! Thanks again.
Victoria