Meet & talk to fellow OstoMates Support | Friendship | Dating 21,023 members

In the "know," not the "no"

Posted by kmedup, on Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:43 pm

I hate to put this so bluntly but, what rock are peope under when they say the coronavirus is a "hoax?"

Reply by britathrt60, on Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:02 pm

I know kmedup

People can be so stupid it's sickening. .I get sick of the stupid jokes about it on Facebook. ...people think this is funny ..seriously ..Coronavirus is a killer no one is immune to it 😥

Reply by w30bob, on Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:09 pm

Hi kmedup,

  To be fair to all those rock dwellers........the press is making the Coronavirus into a much bigger deal than it really is.  You can disagree, but the facts certainly prove otherwise.  Compared to the flue (Influenza) both infectious are respiratory illnesses, they're just caused by different viruses. Both have the same symptoms and neither is treatable with antibiotics, which only work on bacterial infections.  Here's what I pulled from the web;

Infections;

COVID-19: Approximately 101,781 cases worldwide; 260 cases in the U.S. as of Mar. 6, 2020.

Flu: Estimated 1 billion cases worldwide; 9.3 million to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year.

Deaths;

COVID-19: Approximately 3,460 deaths reported worldwide; 14 deaths in the U.S., as of Mar. 6, 2020.

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year

  So right now I'd say 3500 deaths from the Coronavirus isn't nearly as bad as 3/4 of a million deaths from flu.  Folks with compromised immune systems are the most at risk, everyone else will just think they had the flu and it will pass.  It's just not that big of a deal, despite the fear-mongering of the media.  By the time they find an antedote it will have mutated 6 or 7 times and be history.  Those of us taking immunosuppresants should be extra careful.......otherwise I'm not losing any sleep or washing my hands every 10 minutes.  I do like the look of the facemasks though.......it would go good with some of my hats!!

Be vigilant, but don't panic.........and don't forget to set your clocks ahead tomorrow night......cuz SUMMER is right around the corner!!

 

later,

Bob

 

 

Reply by britathrt60, on Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:27 pm

Bob

Let's agree to disagree on the Covid'19 virus ..we have it 30 minutes both ways from where I live ..it can be in your system for 2 weeks prior to any symptoms ..by then it could be  passed on to thousands of people just from contact..never let your guard down because your president calls it  "a big HOAX " .that is just stupid and only ignorant people think that way about it.and Bob you are very smart as a rule but all the statistics and numbers that you have compiled arn't worth a shit with this virus; which is going to hang around globally for at least another 12 months .. and BTW Bob I am not a rock  dweller so stick that in your pipe and smoke it  😊..I know this post will cause a lot of negativity but that's ok folks ..BRING IT ON ..

Respectively 

Ange 

Reply by w30bob, on Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:42 pm

Uh-oh.........Ange's on the warpath!!  We can certainly agree to disagree.  And time will certainly tell the tale, so I'm good with your suggestion.  No need for anyone to get negative.......it's good to express differences of opinion on things without letting it get personal.  And Ange, I regret to inform you that I don't smoke. But one of those corn cob pipes like Popeye smokes might be a good look for me.  Then I can go buy one of those cool Sailor's hats.  Ange.....you're a genius!  Ok, I'm off to the Army-Navy Surplus store..........see ya!  I mean.........YEEEEE HAAAAA!

;0)

bob

Reply by kmedup, on Fri Mar 06, 2020 9:54 pm
w30bob wrote:

Hi kmedup,

  To be fair to all those rock dwellers........the press is making the Coronavirus into a much bigger deal than it really is.  You can disagree, but the facts certainly prove otherwise.  Compared to the flue (Influenza) both infectious are respiratory illnesses, they're just caused by different viruses. Both have the same symptoms and neither is treatable with antibiotics, which only work on bacterial infections.  Here's what I pulled from the web;

Infections;

COVID-19: Approximately 101,781 cases worldwide; 260 cases in the U.S. as of Mar. 6, 2020.

Flu: Estimated 1 billion cases worldwide; 9.3 million to 45 million cases in the U.S. per year.

Deaths;

COVID-19: Approximately 3,460 deaths reported worldwide; 14 deaths in the U.S., as of Mar. 6, 2020.

Flu: 291,000 to 646,000 deaths worldwide; 12,000 to 61,000 deaths in the U.S. per year

  So right now I'd say 3500 deaths from the Coronavirus isn't nearly as bad as 3/4 of a million deaths from flu.  Folks with compromised immune systems are the most at risk, everyone else will just think they had the flu and it will pass.  It's just not that big of a deal, despite the fear-mongering of the media.  By the time they find an antedote it will have mutated 6 or 7 times and be history.  Those of us taking immunosuppresants should be extra careful.......otherwise I'm not losing any sleep or washing my hands every 10 minutes.  I do like the look of the facemasks though.......it would go good with some of my hats!!

Be vigilant, but don't panic.........and don't forget to set your clocks ahead tomorrow night......cuz SUMMER is right around the corner!!

 

later,

Bob

 

 

Hi Bob,

Well (she said politely) if your read carefully, I was just referring to the unbelievable conclusion by some (possibly more than some) that it is a "hoax." Media, Facebook or no media or no FaceBook.

I really support common sense and forward thinking. Example: Corona Beer sales have dropped 50%. How you like that for correlation stats!!! Who believe this stuff?

I am depending on our leaders - no, our highly qualified doctors and scientists to provide us with honest statistics. I remember H1N1, SARS and MERS but this virus is apparently spreading quite differently, which means that a "hunch or a miracle" simply won't do. The focus shold be on pro-active measures and education.

There is much more data to collect. Kudos to Washington State who has taken this emergency into its capable hands and is doing their level best for its citizens.

More importantly, I wonder if ostomates are considered to have a compromised immune system.

Karen

Reply by britathrt60, on Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:14 pm
w30bob wrote:

Uh-oh.........Ange's on the warpath!!  We can certainly agree to disagree.  And time will certainly tell the tale, so I'm good with your suggestion.  No need for anyone to get negative.......it's good to express differences of opinion on things without letting it get personal.  And Ange, I regret to inform you that I don't smoke. But one of those corn cob pipes like Popeye smokes might be a good look for me.  Then I can go buy one of those cool Sailor's hats.  Ange.....you're a genius!  Ok, I'm off to the Army-Navy Surplus store..........see ya!  I mean.........YEEEEE HAAAAA!

;0)

bob


Oh Bob.

.you make me laugh ...I do love your sense of humor LMAO.😂 

Tee hee!

Reply by w30bob, on Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:19 pm

Hi kmed,

  You are absolutely right...........I read your post but thought you meant something else.  My bad, it's certainly no hoax.  I did read about the Corona beer sales, as you said......and it's hysterical.  Social Media I tend to think of more as the messenger, and then it's people's job to determine if the message is real or not, but far too many are too lazy and simply put their faith in the messengers, who seem to always have an agenda.  I'm waiting to hear that Anheuser Busch (the makers of Corona Beer) is suing the medical community for giving the virus a name similar to their beer.  The world has come to that........and they'd probaby win!  

  Ostomates on immunosuppressants ARE considered to have very compromised immune systems.  As are folks with Pulmonary disorders. But not all frontbutters have a compromised immune system.  Age affects our immune system as well, so the elderly are also in danger as well.  

regards,

bob

Reply by britathrt60, on Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:32 pm

The sad part about all this is they will just have immunization ready for this virus and another horrible virus will pop up..seems like the world turmoil will never end....Until it does!!

😯😐

Reply by britathrt60, on Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:04 am
britathrt60 wrote:
w30bob wrote:

Uh-oh.........Ange's on the warpath!!  We can certainly agree to disagree.  And time will certainly tell the tale, so I'm good with your suggestion.  No need for anyone to get negative.......it's good to express differences of opinion on things without letting it get personal.  And Ange, I regret to inform you that I don't smoke. But one of those corn cob pipes like Popeye smokes might be a good look for me.  Then I can go buy one of those cool Sailor's hats.  Ange.....you're a genius!  Ok, I'm off to the Army-Navy Surplus store..........see ya!  I mean.........YEEEEE HAAAAA!

;0)

bob


Oh Bob.

.you make me laugh ...I do love your sense of humor LMAO.😂 

Tee hee!

Cuz I eats me spinach!  Hoo hoo!

Reply by kmedup, on Sat Mar 07, 2020 1:18 am
britathrt60 wrote:
britathrt60 wrote:
w30bob wrote:

Uh-oh.........Ange's on the warpath!!  We can certainly agree to disagree.  And time will certainly tell the tale, so I'm good with your suggestion.  No need for anyone to get negative.......it's good to express differences of opinion on things without letting it get personal.  And Ange, I regret to inform you that I don't smoke. But one of those corn cob pipes like Popeye smokes might be a good look for me.  Then I can go buy one of those cool Sailor's hats.  Ange.....you're a genius!  Ok, I'm off to the Army-Navy Surplus store..........see ya!  I mean.........YEEEEE HAAAAA!

;0)

bob


Oh Bob.

.you make me laugh ...I do love your sense of humor LMAO.😂 

Tee hee!

Cuz I eats me spinach!  Hoo hoo!


I agree; you do have a sense of humor Bob.

On another note, I am thinking that ALL the passengers (not just 45) stuck on that ocean liner off of the coast of California, need a "plan." Be Best America.

Karen

Reply by Bill, on Sat Mar 07, 2020 4:42 am

Hey there! Look on the bright side. nearly all the medications that they have produced to date have side-effects which are more effective than the things they are supposed to address. Corona virus is having the side effect of giving us all a good laugh?  People have stockpiled on TOILET ROLLS, to the extent that there are now none in the shops. Personally, I think this is hilarious, and must put ostomates in a great position to survive this type of hysteria. It reminds me of the time that they put out a rumour that there was going to be a salt shortage, then within a few days the shelves were empty of salt!! 

Anyway, back to the virus, it has been documented for some years that the masks are pretty useless for protection from airborn contaminants. Anyone who has tried using them for woodworking will attest to the fact that the dust will still get past the mask and up your nose, and I presume that viruses are a wee bit smaller than sawdust. When I repointed the front of my house, I made my own respirator out of my CPAP machine and it worked perfectly.

 

My own take on this so far, is that anxiety is probably one of the worst aspects of the human condition, and so far the authorities do not seem to be helping much with this.

Just a thought!

Best wishes

Bill 

Reply by Angelicamarie, on Sat Mar 07, 2020 8:35 am

The bottom line is it KILLS- no hoax

 

Angelicamarie

Reply by britathrt60, on Sat Mar 07, 2020 6:42 pm
Angelicamarie wrote:

The bottom line is it KILLS- no hoax

 

Anim gelicamarie


I'm with you Angelicamarie.there is nothing funny about this virus. ...IT KILLS ..and Bill 'm surprised at your take on this virus 😢

Reply by kmedup, on Sat Mar 07, 2020 7:56 pm
britathrt60 wrote:
Angelicamarie wrote:

The bottom line is it KILLS- no hoax

 

Anim gelicamarie


I'm with you Angelicamarie.there is nothing funny about this virus. ...IT KILLS ..and Bill 'm surprised at your take on this virus 😢


Hi britathrt60 and Bill,

There is this mindful saying: "There is little understanding until something is in your backyard."

Take climate change for example. I live in the once-but-not-now oil capiatal of Canada. Our environment has been comprimized by greedy oil companies who rape and pilage and then leave.  For every barrel of bitumin, 4 barrels of water are needed to get it ready for the pipeline.  I see climate destruction in my backyard everyday and evidence of its consequences in hospitals.  Where are the fish? Where did our clean water go?  Where is our clean air?  I taught post seconday classes in the oil and gas industry so I could see both sides of the coin. I could writie a book.

Tourists see Banff and Jasper and think - wow Alberta, nice place. Those parks are a minor part of Alberta.

So far Scotland has 4 unconfirmed cases, so perhaps it is not in your backyard yet - UK citizens. As the sports shop salesperson said to my son, "If you have a $5 head, get a $5 helmut."

In all sincerity,

Karen

Reply by Tickpol , on Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:43 pm

Masks are not intended to protect the wearer.  They're intended to protect the patient.  If you're wearing it and you cough the energy forces the majority of the germs to fly into the mask rather than onto/into the patient.  If you don't want to get sick you wear a respirator.

 

It provides a mild psychological benefit to someone who's sick and it makes toher folks give the wearer a wide berth!

 

In the grand scheme of things you're still more likely to be killed by a drunk driver than the latest flu.  Hype sells papers.

 

Mind you after 21 surgeries and 2 cancers I'm pretty blase about stuff trying to kill me!

 

Dave

Reply by kmedup, on Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:28 am
Tickpol wrote:

Masks are not intended to protect the wearer.  They're intended to protect the patient.  If you're wearing it and you cough the energy forces the majority of the germs to fly into the mask rather than onto/into the patient.  If you don't want to get sick you wear a respirator.

 

It provides a mild psychological benefit to someone who's sick and it makes toher folks give the wearer a wide berth!

 

In the grand scheme of things you're still more likely to be killed by a drunk driver than the latest flu.  Hype sells papers.

 

Mind you after 21 surgeries and 2 cancers I'm pretty blase about stuff trying to kill me!

 

Dave


Hi Dave,

You are a survivor; good for you.

My best friend is a scientist and yes, in some provinces in Canada they are still taken seriously. I agree with you; I also appreciate and respect opinions from others.

Masks can only prevent the wearer from touching his/her face; it is not protection from the virus. Bacteria cannot penetrate the mask material but viruses can. Most healthy people who have contracted this virus do very well (80% I believe) and some people are asymptomatic. You can be asymptomatic and still pass the virus to others around you.

Yes, hype sells papers. Many people are glued to Facebook and news stations. Facebook is way leakier than a face mask! True knowledge, however, allows us to be proactive not reactive. People fear the unknown and then do or believe in crazy things. Take hand sanitizer for instance. Alberta does not have any confirmed cases of this virus, yet one cannot purchase hand sanitizer in my city. I am also on the hunt for toilet paper.


Do US residents have the true statistics and facts? Your leader wants everyone to know he has everything under control. My opinion is that he needs to get out of the way and let qualified and knowledgeable health care providers, doctors and scientists take over. This misinformation creates fear and uncertainty. What actually is the truth anymore? What happens state-side is sure to seep into province-side. That is scary. I wish it was – “What happens in the states, stays in the states!”


I heard your leader (sorry, I have trouble mentioning or writing his name) say in one interview the other day, that tests kits are ready for sale. Sale? We are tested for free in Canada. This is a public health matter. How do people with less income in the states get tested if they don’t have the means to pay for this test?


The first order of business, I believe, is to test people. The second is to protect our health care providers. Who is going to look after infected patients if they are sick? Medical staff seem to be contracting this virus at an amazing rate.


There are still very many unknowns.  I am so glad people are interested in this topic. If we can’t look after our health, we can’t look after anyone else.


Karen

 

Reply by Bill, on Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:46 am
britathrt60 wrote:
Angelicamarie wrote:

The bottom line is it KILLS- no hoax

 

Anim gelicamarie


I'm with you Angelicamarie.there is nothing funny about this virus. ...IT KILLS ..and Bill 'm surprised at your take on this virus 😢


Hello Ange (& Angelicamarie). Believe it or not, I agree with you on this one. As with many other things, it seems obvious this virus kills (some peoeple) and it seems that we do not have a cure as yet. However, to put this virus in a slightly different perspective, my thoughts tend to wander onto all those other ways that humans seem to find to kill each other on a daily basis (over centuries), without the mass emotional response that this virus seems to be generating.    

My earlier comments were not specifically about the virus, but about some people's somewhat 'amusing' responses to it. Perhaps it's part of my own sense of humour, but most of DT's tweets make me smile, even though they have such a serious negative impact on so many people.

As for the subject of death itself, I do accept that people might be surprised at my own perspective on this subject. For that reason I published a book last year entilted:  'SOD - Self-Organised Death', which more or less summarised my overview on the subject. (after my own recent brush with death, I thought I ought to document my views before it became too late!).

Best wishes

Bill

 

Reply by Tickpol , on Sun Mar 08, 2020 4:03 pm
kmedup wrote:
Tickpol wrote:

Masks are not intended to protect the wearer.  They're intended to protect the patient.  If you're wearing it and you cough the energy forces the majority of the germs to fly into the mask rather than onto/into the patient.  If you don't want to get sick you wear a respirator.

 

It provides a mild psychological benefit to someone who's sick and it makes toher folks give the wearer a wide berth!

 

In the grand scheme of things you're still more likely to be killed by a drunk driver than the latest flu.  Hype sells papers.

 

Mind you after 21 surgeries and 2 cancers I'm pretty blase about stuff trying to kill me!

 

Dave


Hi Dave,

You are a survivor; good for you.

My best friend is a scientist and yes, in some provinces in Canada they are still taken seriously. I agree with you; I also appreciate and respect opinions from others.

Masks can only prevent the wearer from touching his/her face; it is not protection from the virus. Bacteria cannot penetrate the mask material but viruses can. Most healthy people who have contracted this virus do very well (80% I believe) and some people are asymptomatic. You can be asymptomatic and still pass the virus to others around you.

Yes, hype sells papers. Many people are glued to Facebook and news stations. Facebook is way leakier than a face mask! True knowledge, however, allows us to be proactive not reactive. People fear the unknown and then do or believe in crazy things. Take hand sanitizer for instance. Alberta does not have any confirmed cases of this virus, yet one cannot purchase hand sanitizer in my city. I am also on the hunt for toilet paper.


Do US residents have the true statistics and facts? Your leader wants everyone to know he has everything under control. My opinion is that he needs to get out of the way and let qualified and knowledgeable health care providers, doctors and scientists take over. This misinformation creates fear and uncertainty. What actually is the truth anymore? What happens state-side is sure to seep into province-side. That is scary. I wish it was – “What happens in the states, stays in the states!”


I heard your leader (sorry, I have trouble mentioning or writing his name) say in one interview the other day, that tests kits are ready for sale. Sale? We are tested for free in Canada. This is a public health matter. How do people with less income in the states get tested if they don’t have the means to pay for this test?


The first order of business, I believe, is to test people. The second is to protect our health care providers. Who is going to look after infected patients if they are sick? Medical staff seem to be contracting this virus at an amazing rate.


There are still very many unknowns.  I am so glad people are interested in this topic. If we can’t look after our health, we can’t look after anyone else.


Karen

 



Only the "true believers" in the parties beleave what their incumbants say.  The rest of us know it's just agendas, posing and politics.

I'm pretty much interested from a distance.  I wash my hands, use sanitizer but it I get it I get it.

 

Dave

 

Reply by britathrt60, on Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:35 pm
Bill wrote:
britathrt60 wrote:
Angelicamarie wrote:

The bottom line is it KILLS- no hoax

 

Anim gelicamarie


I'm with you Angelicamarie.there is nothing funny about this virus. ...IT KILLS ..and Bill 'm surprised at your take on this virus 😢


Hello Ange (& Angelicamarie). Believe it or not, I agree with you on this one. As with many other things, it seems obvious this virus kills (some peoeple) and it seems that we do not have a cure as yet. However, to put this virus in a slightly different perspective, my thoughts tend to wander onto all those other ways that humans seem to find to kill each other on a daily basis (over centuries), without the mass emotional response that this virus seems to be generating.    

My earlier comments were not specifically about the virus, but about some people's somewhat 'amusing' responses to it. Perhaps it's part of my own sense of humour, but most of DT's tweets make me smile, even though they have such a serious negative impact on so many people.

As for the subject of death itself, I do accept that people might be surprised at my own perspective on this subject. For that reason I published a book last year entilted:  'SOD - Self-Organised Death', which more or less summarised my overview on the subject. (after my own recent brush with death, I thought I ought to document my views before it became too late!).

Best wishes

Bill

 

Hi Bill...yes there is a lot of hype going on in the world with this new virus ..there is a lot of price gauging going on..it was on the news that one store is charging $80 a bottle of hand sanitizer ..that's just crazy...as far as toilet paper goes..I think it's more folks are buying it up in case of having two weeks quarantine in which case a family with two or more kids need lots of TP nothing worse than running out. .take care .....Ange 

 

Reply by Bill, on Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:32 am

Hello everybody!

I found this well-reasoned response to the coronavirus by someone who obviously knows a lot about these things from first-hand experience.  So, I thought I would share it with you all.

Best wishes

Bill

 

 

Abdu Sharkawy
6 March at 02:45
I'm a doctor and an Infectious Diseases Specialist. I've been at this for more than 20 years seeing sick patients on a daily basis. I have worked in inner city hospitals and in the poorest slums of Africa. HIV-AIDS, Hepatitis,TB, SARS, Measles, Shingles, Whooping cough, Diphtheria...there is little I haven't been exposed to in my profession. And with notable exception of SARS, very little has left me feeling vulnerable, overwhelmed or downright scared.

I am not scared of Covid-19. I am concerned about the implications of a novel infectious agent that has spread the world over and continues to find new footholds in different soil. I am rightly concerned for the welfare of those who are elderly, in frail health or disenfranchised who stand to suffer mostly, and disproportionately, at the hands of this new scourge. But I am not scared of Covid-19.

What I am scared about is the loss of reason and wave of fear that has induced the masses of society into a spellbinding spiral of panic, stockpiling obscene quantities of anything that could fill a bomb shelter adequately in a post-apocalyptic world. I am scared of the N95 masks that are stolen from hospitals and urgent care clinics where they are actually needed for front line healthcare providers and instead are being donned in airports, malls, and coffee lounges, perpetuating even more fear and suspicion of others. I am scared that our hospitals will be overwhelmed with anyone who thinks they " probably don't have it but may as well get checked out no matter what because you just never know..." and those with heart failure, emphysema, pneumonia and strokes will pay the price for overfilled ER waiting rooms with only so many doctors and nurses to assess.

I am scared that travel restrictions will become so far reaching that weddings will be canceled, graduations missed and family reunions will not materialize. And well, even that big party called the Olympic Games...that could be kyboshed too. Can you even
imagine?

I'm scared those same epidemic fears will limit trade, harm partnerships in multiple sectors, business and otherwise and ultimately culminate in a global recession.

But mostly, I'm scared about what message we are telling our kids when faced with a threat. Instead of reason, rationality, openmindedness and altruism, we are telling them to panic, be fearful, suspicious, reactionary and self-interested.

Covid-19 is nowhere near over. It will be coming to a city, a hospital, a friend, even a family member near you at some point. Expect it. Stop waiting to be surprised further. The fact is the virus itself will not likely do much harm when it arrives. But our own behaviors and "fight for yourself above all else" attitude could prove disastrous.

I implore you all. Temper fear with reason, panic with patience and uncertainty with education. We have an opportunity to learn a great deal about health hygiene and limiting the spread of innumerable transmissible diseases in our society. Let's meet this challenge together in the best spirit of compassion for others, patience, and above all, an unfailing effort to seek truth, facts and knowledge as opposed to conjecture, speculation and catastrophizing.

Facts not fear. Clean hands. Open hearts.
Our children will thank us for it.

#washurhands #geturflushot #respect #patiencenotpanic

 

Reply by britathrt60, on Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:42 am
Bill wrote:

Hello everybody!

I found this well-reasoned response to the coronavirus by someone who obviously knows a lot about these things from first-hand experience.  So, I thought I would share it with you all.

Best wishes

Bill

 

 

Abdu Sharkawy
6 March at 02:45
I'm a doctor and an Infectious Diseases Specialist. I've been at this for more than 20 years seeing sick patients on a daily basis. I have worked in inner city hospitals and in the poorest slums of Africa. HIV-AIDS, Hepatitis,TB, SARS, Measles, Shingles, Whooping cough, Diphtheria...there is little I haven't been exposed to in my profession. And with notable exception of SARS, very little has left me feeling vulnerable, overwhelmed or downright scared.

I am not scared of Covid-19. I am concerned about the implications of a novel infectious agent that has spread the world over and continues to find new footholds in different soil. I am rightly concerned for the welfare of those who are elderly, in frail health or disenfranchised who stand to suffer mostly, and disproportionately, at the hands of this new scourge. But I am not scared of Covid-19.

What I am scared about is the loss of reason and wave of fear that has induced the masses of society into a spellbinding spiral of panic, stockpiling obscene quantities of anything that could fill a bomb shelter adequately in a post-apocalyptic world. I am scared of the N95 masks that are stolen from hospitals and urgent care clinics where they are actually needed for front line healthcare providers and instead are being donned in airports, malls, and coffee lounges, perpetuating even more fear and suspicion of others. I am scared that our hospitals will be overwhelmed with anyone who thinks they " probably don't have it but may as well get checked out no matter what because you just never know..." and those with heart failure, emphysema, pneumonia and strokes will pay the price for overfilled ER waiting rooms with only so many doctors and nurses to assess.

I am scared that travel restrictions will become so far reaching that weddings will be canceled, graduations missed and family reunions will not materialize. And well, even that big party called the Olympic Games...that could be kyboshed too. Can you even
imagine?

I'm scared those same epidemic fears will limit trade, harm partnerships in multiple sectors, business and otherwise and ultimately culminate in a global recession.

But mostly, I'm scared about what message we are telling our kids when faced with a threat. Instead of reason, rationality, openmindedness and altruism, we are telling them to panic, be fearful, suspicious, reactionary and self-interested.

Covid-19 is nowhere near over. It will be coming to a city, a hospital, a friend, even a family member near you at some point. Expect it. Stop waiting to be surprised further. The fact is the virus itself will not likely do much harm when it arrives. But our own behaviors and "fight for yourself above all else" attitude could prove disastrous.

I implore you all. Temper fear with reason, panic with patience and uncertainty with education. We have an opportunity to learn a great deal about health hygiene and limiting the spread of innumerable transmissible diseases in our society. Let's meet this challenge together in the best spirit of compassion for others, patience, and above all, an unfailing effort to seek truth, facts and knowledge as opposed to conjecture, speculation and catastrophizing.

Facts not fear. Clean hands. Open hearts.
Our children will thank us for it.

#washurhands #geturflushot #respect #patiencenotpanic

 

AMEN!

Reply by Daanders, on Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:24 am

google worldometer  it gives you all the stats . My spleen ruptured after surgery.. My immune system is screwed. Yes I am worried

Reply by britathrt60, on Tue Mar 10, 2020 6:16 am
Daanders wrote:

google worldometer  it gives you all the stats . My spleen ruptured after surgery.. My immune system is screwed. Yes I am worried


Daanders 

Awe sorry to hear about your spleen rupture....hope you are recovering.....you have every right to worry ..I'm worried too

Take care

Ange 

Reply by Daanders, on Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:20 am

I am ok now if I have been ok Lol

Reply by kmedup, on Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:49 am
Daanders wrote:

I am ok now if I have been ok Lol

Great news. We shall all hang in there:)K

Reply by Daanders, on Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:01 pm

It's all the unknown, The do's and don't does. Learning experience

Reply by Padfoot, on Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:52 pm

Bill, thanks for your latest post on this. I agree with the writer's sentiments completely.

The big difference between the coronavirus and the seasonal flu is how efficiently the coronavirus spreads. We are now seeing it spread unrelated to travel to high risk zones, so that means that containment will be impossible. I am also concerned about misinformation or lack of information and the sheer stupidity of calling it a hoax. A hundred years ago, the Spanish influenza was underestimated badly, and ended up killing far more than the world war that preceded it. And it did the most damage in year two.

That said, I don't think there is cause to panic. But there is cause for caution and common sense. If there was ever a time for excellence in hand hygiene, it is now. (It scares me when I see signs posted in restaurant washrooms that say employees must wash their hands before returning to work - you hire people that need to be reminded of that? And they're touching my food??? Yuck!) This is a time to forgo the handshake, to avoid touching your face, to cough and sneeze into a tissue or elbow, and wipe your phone and doorknobs and anything else that gets touched by everyone. Hoarding isn't necessary. Stocking up for maybe 2 weeks worth of supplies isn't the same as hoarding. (If you live in a snow belt region, you know how to keep enough supplies to get you through a bad snow storm). Take a deep breath. We will get through this with common sense.

Reply by Bill, on Wed Mar 11, 2020 3:27 pm

Hello everyone!

I have just been reading another pretty well-reasoned article on the covid10 virus - so here is the link for those of you who may still be interested:  

https://medium.com/@davetroy/why-we-should-care-commonly-asked-questions-and-answers-about-covid-19-6b166f1876e9

Best wishes

Bill

Reply by w30bob, on Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:11 pm

Hi Pad,

  This won't please you, but I'm just being real here.  It certainly is upsetting to most regarding employees not washing their hands after using the bathroom in a restaurant.  I'm not debating that.  BUT.........if you saw how the food you eat is processed and packaged.........the bus boy washing his hands would be the least of your concerns.  There's a reason they never show pics of meat packing or processing plants, or chicken processing facilities.  There are huge lobbying firms whose only job is to make sure no one sees the insides of these facilities.  And the reasons are obvious.  My Dad used to always say if you saw how your food was made you wouldn't eat it......and he was right. 

  I worked my way thru college working for a metal repair company that took all the jobs no one else would bid on (including company's own repair crews) because of the deplorable working conditions that we had to work in.  The owners of my company made lots of money and paid us well, but we got to see the inner workings of companies almost no one ever gets to see, including many of the major food companies.  And I'm not just talking about beef and poultry.....I'm talking bakeries for bread, cookies, crackers, major Beer breweries, toothpaste companies....you name it.  From the cockroaches the size of rats to the rats that were bigger than my dog.......that was just the icing on the cake.  Trust me.........a little hand washing won't fix what's already been done to the food you're about to eat.  But as magicians know......it's all slight of hand.  If you're looking at the busboy not washing his hands..........you're not paying attention to the oil and grease from the conveyor belts dripping into the macaroni as it's baking.  Sometimes..........it's really better NOT to know.  But for the record...when I worked in a restaurant we all were religious about washing our hands before leaving the restroom.  And and then pushed open the bathroom door (that never got washed) with out freshly washed hands.  Don't drive yourself nuts over it.......it's why we have an immune system in the first place. 

regards,

bob   

* Please, do not post contact information like email, Facebook or Twitter accounts, or phone number. These will be removed by the Administrator.
All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Currently online: 9    
9 visitors
 
 
Welcome to MeetAnOstoMate - the largest online community for people with an ostomy.
If you have questions or just want to meet and chat with others, join us and enjoy our great community.