Coronavirus Ileostomy

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Scott Chance

Has anybody (particularly from the UK) with an ileostomy received guidance to adhere to the social distancing provisions and stay at home for three months during the Coronavirus outbreak?

I can't see that we're listed on the group of conditions that the UK government is advising social distancing for but wondered if anyone had received medical advice to stay at home? I wondered might having an ileostomy give us further effects of the virus over and above the persistent cough and high temperature? Like possible dehydration from having to empty the bag a ridiculous amount of times? My system seems to deal with infections by flushing them out.

I'm currently going into work as usual. My job involves dealing with the public. My employer can make provision for socially distancing staff to work from home but so far I haven't gone down that route as I don't want to be seen as abusing their goodwill. I had my ileostomy some years ago due to severe ulcerative colitis but am not currently immunosuppressed.

Any advice gratefully received.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,099 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mark1070

Risk of severe illness is low for a 40-year-old with no health issues. Do you have reason for concern?

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

Yes, I have been told to stay at home for 12 weeks. I have no immune system from meds I take for a health problem. It's a respiratory virus, so it wouldn't affect your ileostomy. But, saying that, they say you have a very bad cough with it, so the only other added risk I can see is of developing a hernia from coughing. GPs will be writing/phoning all vulnerable patients from Monday 23 March to advise on what to do.

iMacG5

Hi Scott.  Hydration is always a consideration and dealing with the public within close proximity would be out of the question for me.  I can't imagine your employer considering your decision to work from home an abuse of their good will.  On the contrary, I think they would respect your decision to protect yourself and be there to do your job well in the future.

Just my thougfhts,

Mike

Puppyluv56

Everyone is asked to social distance themselves here. I don't feel my immune system is suppressed but, I have had chemo and/or radiation 5 times! Just like the bunny, I keep on ticking! Lol I am over 60 though and for some reason, people think that is old! Not! Lol better to be safe than sorry. If the offer to work from home is available, why take a chance by exposing yourself! I am retired but staying home.
My husband used to have to trick me to go to the grocery store, (hate shopping); now I am ready any time!
It will get worse before it gets better.

Puppyluv

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister