Help! Broccoli stem stuck after surgery

Replies
Views
freedancer

Hi everyone, I hope there is someone who can help me out of a little "jam" that I got myself into. I made the mistake of eating some broccoli that I cooked really well, but it appears there was a fibrous stem that I missed and did not chew really well. I was able to remove some of it when I took a shower, but it appears that more has gotten stuck. I cannot clear it at this point. It is not hurting really bad right now, and part of it has worked its way out, but I am pretty scared it is stuck. I have been doing really well since my second surgery to repair the first one that had strictured. The doctor had made the hole a little larger than last time. Do you have any suggestions short of going to the ER that I could use to clear it on my own? It is not hurting right now, and it wants to clear itself as I can feel it trying to do so. Please email me with your suggestions. I have heat on it right now, and I am drinking hot tea. I thank you all in advance!! Pamela

Maried

The only thing I can think of is drinking or eating something that gives you a really big bowel movement, diarrhea that may push the stem out.

But you must be really careful not to injure yourself.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,473 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Mark1070

Here's my go-to info source:

https://www.ostomy.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/01/IleostomyBlockage_2018.pdf

I've heard doctors sometimes use q-tips if the blockage is near the stoma. Naturally, none of us would be able to recommend sticking anything inside of your stoma.

kmedup

Try Restorolax or Lax-a Day - purchased in a pharmacy - much less expensive at Walmart. It is not harmful whatsoever; many people with ostomies use it regularly. I have been taking a bit everyday since 2007 and I'm still here. I ran out when I was in Costa Rica in January so I purchased their brand - Happy Lax. I just had to save the bottle. Stay safe:)

w30bob

Hi Free,

I don't think you need to do anything. By that, I mean the stem is biodegradable......and your bile will eventually break it down. As long as it's not causing a blockage, I might chug a little flaxseed oil or mineral oil......something slippery. But other than that, I'd probably not worry. Now if I got bloated and nothing was able to come out, then I'd stick my pinkie in my stoma and feel around......but I don't recommend you do that without consulting your doc.

Regards,

Bob

How to Manage Emotions with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
freedancer

Thanks, it is actually passing better now after I had some tea and Gatorade.

freedancer

It has finally passed. Thanks!

freedancer

Thank you, it is better now.

Bill

Hello Pamela.

It seems I'm a bit late to reply in a way that would be of any practical use to you. However, I thought I would reply anyway and let you know that I am pleased that your problem has been resolved.

Best wishes

Bill

Penguins7

Hi Freedancer,

Sorry to hear of your issue. I would try and drink as much hot tea or coffee, as that really helped me awhile back with a blockage problem. Also, massage around the stoma to try and release the block. Good luck. Penguins7