Calamine Lotion: Soothing Relief for Raw Skin

Replies
Views
jamie

I don't know if this will be helpful to anyone, but just in case:

With COVID-19 virus, I'm stuck at home, of course. I had a little leakage a few days ago that "burned" a patch of skin next to the stoma. I wanted to put some sort of barrier between the skin and the bag, and had nothing. Thinking it couldn't hurt, I dabbed on some calamine lotion with a cotton puff. Voila. Soothing and healing! Who knew?

lovely

Thanks Jamie, sounds like a good idea. I know myself and some others on here have had that problem at times.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,460 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Hi Jamie,

Good idea. We really need more home remedies just in case we run out of products.

I put stoma powder on, lightly brush the excess off, put a wax barrier on, and have had success.

Thanks, Mountain.

Past Member

Hi, 
I just call them wax donuts "adapt barrier rings" 1705 Hollister product. They're about an eighth of an inch thick, maybe three inches in diameter. They are sticky and stretchable (moldable), so you can shape it around your stoma. It has a thin plastic on each side you just peel off, mold, and use. My stomach kinda sinks in under my stoma, so I cut it in half and use the other half next time. 

Hope that helps? ..mountain. 

w30bob

Mountain,

I'm going to put up a post about those rings in a few minutes... you might find it interesting.

Regards,

Bob

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
ron in mich

Hi all, a few years back before my resection surgery, my old stoma opening was at skin level and always had a raw spot. I used calamine on a q-tip. I would do a couple layers and let it dry, then put my wafer on. The best part is that it didn't sting.

lovely

I think I will have to try the calamine lotion. Where the skin and stoma meet is always real red and sometimes bleeds just a tiny bit when I am changing my wafer. I use nystatin ointment, stoma powder, and the protective wipes. I am also going to look into the barrier rings. Stay safe.

w30bob

Hi Jamie,

I think calamine lotion was the very first thing I tried on my red skin when I came home from the hospital after my ostomy. For me, I found nothing sticks to calamine lotion. Even if I took most of it off with a wet towel and allowed the rest to dry completely... it was still too chalky. But if it works for you, that's great.

Lovely, I use the Nystatin liquid... comes with an eye dropper. I have no luck with ointments... same problem as above... nothing sticks to them. With the Nystatin liquid, I put it on liberally, work it into the skin with my finger, then blot it with a paper towel, but not taking it all off. Then I dry it fully with my hair dryer and I find stuff sticks to it that way.

Regards,

Bob

Daanders

I will have to try this.

Puppypug

Hi Jamie. Great idea. Thanks. I'm new to this support group. I'm glad I joined. I always get red and sore skin around my stoma. Thanks again!

w30bob

Hi puppy,

There've been a lot of discussion on here about skin around the stoma.   Search the forum and you'll find a wealth of good suggestions, as it's a very common problem.    

Regards,

Bob

Puppypug

Hi. I have the same problem with sore skin. Calamine lotion works great!! Thank you for the great tip!!!

Puppypug

Thanks, Bob.

Daanders

Are you talking about the Eakin seals (rings)