Dealing with Ostomy/Ileostomy Leaks: Need Advice!

Replies
Views
sarahdevorah

I'm a relatively new ostomate... Colostomy Sept 2019 changed to an Ileostomy Jan 14 2020.

For 2 months with my new ileostomy, I was doing okay, trying different products to meet the need of a highly liquid at times high volume output.

About a month ago, after regaining about 5 pounds quickly, I started having leaks... Before, when I had a colostomy with a thick output, I rarely had leaks... a few but nothing I couldn't handle.

Until the weight gain (I was using a flange I really liked with a collar to fit around my oval stoma), now I had daily leakage - 1 day 4-5 leaks.

sarahdevorah

After my day with 5 leaks (I mostly have a liquid output) out of frustration, pain, and desperation, I decided to try a convex flange and matching bag (I had Coloplast 2 piece with the click in place).

Guess what...? I used a barrier ring around my stoma, a cut-to-fit Coloplast Convex flange, and the regular drainable Coloplast pouch for daytime, and ordered the high output for nighttime! Oh, and I always use the Coloplast extra wide elastic barrier strips to give me added leak protection... I was getting 1 day wear and now I get up to 5 or more for the flange... I change the bag almost daily but no leaks in 2 weeks.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
lovely

Do you not rinse your bag out and reuse it? Or is that you have a problem with leaking if you reuse it?

Cplumber

Have you tried using a belt? 1 to help everything get set into place after a pouch change. 2 to keep everything snitched up during normal day routine.

If you search Amazon ostomy belts I'll give you lots of options. Most are available through Ostomy product supplier.

Hope that helps. I will be praying for you.

Chris

Bill

Hello sarahdevorah. Thanks for posting both the problem and the apparent solution to your problem. It is good to hear that you are experimenting with different approaches, as this is often the way to find what is suitable for our individual needs. 

One of the things that I tend to do when I find the time, is to browse though the 'Ostomy tips' section - which can be found in 'COLLECTIONS' at the top of the page. There are some fascinating discussions in there on all  sorts of subjects. 

Best wishes

Bill

How to Manage Ostomy Leaks with LeeAnne Hayden | Hollister
ron in mich

Hi Sarah, that's good news. Taking control of the situation and trying different things to find what works best in your situation. Have you tried Imodium to thicken your output or different foods? For me, I take one Imodium in the morning, but then I also have half a banana, and that has helped me. Good luck.

Homie With A Stomie NS
Reply to sarahdevorah

Woot woo wtg! So glad you found your product.... The barrier ring was my saving grace....

Homie With A Stomie NS

Woot woo, here's to a great leak-proof Sunday.....

Bill

Hello sarahdevorah.

When there is a leak with watery output it is as well to identify whether the leak is from under the flange/baseplate or whether it is from the bag/sleeve in some other place.

Having recently experimented with a new type of baseplate from Coloplast, I was having small leaks as I rinsed the device. After meticulous scrutiny, I found that there were microscopic pinprick holes in the plastic bag where the baseplate touched it.  Looking at the baseplate through a magnifying glass, (and running my finger around the edge)  I found that there was a slight sharp edge where the plastic was moulded and concluded that this might be imperceptibly piercing the bag. 

The problem was easily resolved by taking that sharp edge off with some very fine sandpaper and making the edge smooth and round.

It is surprising how easily these bags are damaged by sharp objects and even unmanicured nails can have similar effects. I always make sure my nails and cuticles are manicured for that reason and because the same thing can happen the the sensitive tissue on the stoma if we are not careful.

Best wishes

Bill   

Homie With A Stomie NS

Yes, everyday but it happens to be Sunday lol