Does anyone know someone who has had the virus?

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Bagface

I know 3 people who have had the virus. One was in the hospital on oxygen and recovered. Another was in the hospital on a ventilator and recovered. And the last one tested positive and is currently in self isolation. It's good to see most people following the guidelines. I just disregard the politics and mixed messages and use common sense.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,095 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

I only know one person who had it, and she died after being on a ventilator. She was mid 60s.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

2 friends have had it 1 died in April and 1 on Saturday, don't start me of on what I think of the UK government and bending the guidliness they made to suit themselfs! Pleased to hear your friends have recorved hope the one self isolating has a speedy recovery too

Bagface

Padfoot, it's always sad to hear about the unfortunate ones who have succumbed to this monster. Two of the people I mentioned are in their late 60's, and the one who is isolating is in her early 50's.

Bagface

Panther- Sorry to hear about your friends. Thanks for your reply and stay safe!

Living with Your Ostomy | Hollister
Puppyluv56

I do not know anyone that has tested positive or even thought they had it. Apparently there have been a high number testing positive in my county and state but very few near where I live. That is looking at the zip codes. My ;county encompasses downtown Columbia where most of the cases are but I live 20 miles outside of the city.

i have family in Ohio, Colorado, California, Texas and none of they have it either! We have been fortunate!

Sorry to hear of any that have passed for this virus.
Puppy

w30bob

Sorry to hear about anyone meeting their demise because of this stupid virus. I would also hope that at some point the "experts" can quantify what they mean by "compromised immune system". Half the population takes some type of meds that supresses that system.......so they need to tell us what the cutoff is for a "suppressed", like they've listed the specific diseases that make up "underlying conditions". Immune system strength is easy enough to check with routine bloodwork.......so what's the number?

I know some Docs who are pretty fed up with being made to list Corona as a cause of death for patients that have died of something entirely unrelated..........so the data is jacked. Not saying folks aren't dying from it, just that we can't believe everything we're told ;in regards to the big picture. Now where have I heard that before?

I personally don't know anyone either. I keep asking at work and so far there have been no reported cases in the buildings I work in. The MD website says there's 390 cases in my county and 26 in my zip code......but none of my neighbors know of anyone either. I'll still mask up and use hand sanitizer frequently, but I'm not staying home anymore. I believe the expression is "Live Free or Die"....and now I understand what it means. I'll do everything I can to not spread it, but I don't come in contact with elderly folks.........and boy those Popeye's chicken sandwiches are GOOD!

Stay safe kiddies,

regards,

bob

Past Member

Centres for disease control all over the world are being told to list covid 19 deaths based either on test confirmation or on the attending doctor's judgment. Are you saying that doctors are being told against their will to falsify cause of death? When you look at the death rates for March/April all over the world, you will see a huge jump that wasn't there in previous  years. What, if not covid, is causing this spike? A sudden upswing in food poisoning? There just isn't another rational explanation other than covid. If anything, the reported numbers are low.

w30bob

Hi Pad,

nbsp; You said two very different things there. nbsp; You said "based either on test confirmation or on the attending doctor's judgment". nbsp; Test confirmation is what's taking priority.....and that's the problem. nbsp; For a sanity check they just need to look at the data.......let's say on average every year 100,000 (nice round number) hospitalized people die from a variety of things. COVIS come along and this year a total of 200,000 people that are hospitalized die. nbsp; The number of deaths that could be attributed to COVIS could be as high as 100,000. nbsp; Not 150,000 or 175,000, which is how is what we're seeing. nbsp; Many folks die of something else, but because they nbspTEST POSITIVE nbsp;for COVIS the cause of death (or one of the causes of death) is listed as COVIS. nbsp; For example..........a person dying of Leukemia is hospitalized, but isn't going to live long (my grandmother went thru this). nbsp; While there that person contracts COVIS and dies. nbsp; They died from the Leukemia, but had COVIS. nbsp; That counts as a COVIS death. Lots of folks already in the hospital wouldn't be affected by COVIS, just like out here in the world....most are immune to it. nbsp; Take it to the extreme........I get hit by a car and am rushed to the ER. nbsp; I get swabbed for COVIS as routine practice while in the ambulance and end up dying on the operating table. nbsp; The swab results come back and I did in fact have COVIS. nbsp; Should COVIS be listed as a cause of death? nbsp

nbsp; If the second part of what you said were true there'd be no issue. nbsp; The attending doctor's judgement is fine......but not when the hospitals are pressuring them to include COVIS in their judgement. nbsp; That's flat out wrong. nbsp; And that's what the Docs are complaining about. nbsp; nbspWhy are we always playing games?? nbsp

nbsp; What the hospitals are doing is trying to make money. When this is over the public will demand that we're prepared for the next pandemic. nbsp; That means hospitals will be getting Federal money to stock up and prepare. nbsp; And all the supplies they get will then be charged to the insurance companies when the next pandemic hits........or the hospitals will slowly use those stockpiles and then ask for more when the next pandemic hits. nbsp; Because they know the Government won't say no during a crisis. nbsp; And the amount of supplies they get will depend on the population they serve and how a pandemic affects their community. nbsp; Would they get more money if they said they had 1000 COVIS deaths or 5000 COVIS deaths? nbsp; It's all about the friggin' money, as usual. nbsp

regards,

bob

Past Member

I see your point, but using your example, someone with leukaemia can live many years; covid may hasten their death. Yes, they had leukaemia, but if their death wasn't imminently expected, wouldn't that be a covid death? There is a huge spike in the sheer number of deaths all over the world - death due to any cause - for March/April, that is not found in previous years. That just cannot be explained logically as an uptick in leukaemia or car accidents. As for game playing by the hospitals, they might not need to resort to that if they were adequately funded in the first place. We are struggling with that here too - I am hopeful that one of the positive outcomes of this pandemic is a rethink of healthcare funding, including long term care. In Canada, we would give up our first born child before we would give up our universal healthcare (well, not really) but governments are reluctant to raise taxes to properly fund it. Well, it's time for a reckoning, on so many issues that the pandemic has unearthed. In your country, your system is not really equipped to handle a pandemic - maybe a rethink is necessary there too. It would be naive to think that this will be the last pandemic in our lifetime. SARS, MERS, H1N1, COVID 19 - hell, just the spike in anaphylactic response to something as innocuous as peanuts! As a species, we are fighting biological assailants on many fronts, and time will tell whether we are clever enough to stay one step ahead.

dadnabbit

w30bob---A death certificate has space for more than one cause of death to allow for the recording of mitigating contributing, related circumstances nbsp; I don't want to believe that doctors are listing deaths as covid 19 related when they are not. nbsp; I believe that there is a likely hood of incorrect data being recorded, but I also believe that a heart condition that results in death because of covid 19 NEEDS to be recorded as such. nbsp; I know quite a few medical professionals, and NO ONE has even heard of doctors listing deaths as covid 19 when they are caused by something else--that kind of tactic skus the facts for medical advances and destroys the chances for vaccine and treatment protocols. nbsp; I'm hoping you're wrong about that.

Peace

Dadnabbit

w30bob

Hi Dad,

nbsp; I hear ya. A few weeks ago there were 2 docs interviewed on TV in prime time (who gave their names) that stated for the record that they were required by their hospitals respectively to list COVID as the primary cause of death regardless. I've also heard the same thing anecdotally from medical folks that I know. nbsp; Is it still going on? I hope not. nbsp; nbsp

Regards,

Bob

ron in mich

Hi all i live in a semi rural area with low population and we had only 2 cases until memorial day now we,re up to 7 because of out of town travelers with 2 of them hospitalised here and the others are self quarantined. this really pissed me off people coming here and spreading the virus, our 2 small hospitals only have 8 icu beds so resources are very limited and we have an elderly population of people who retired moved back here for the slower pace of life.

Past Member

With regard to reporting cause of death, centres for disease control worldwide have recommended that any death in which Covid 19 was deemed to be a contributing factor, based on either test results or judgment of the attending physician, should be recorded as a Covid 19 death. However, most countries have been recording as Covid 19 deaths only those diagnosed by test results. Most countries have limited testing. As a result, it is far more likely that the number of Covid 19 deaths have been underestimated rather than overestimated in most countries, including the US, according to Johns Hopkins University. Underscoring this is the worldwide surge in deaths (of all causes, known or unknown) for March/April of 2020 that is unique when compared to other years. This worldwide surge is simply unexplainable without taking into account Covid 19.

Puppyluv56

Hi Ron, nbsp

i live outside of a large city, the capital of SC, so there are many business travelers visiting the state as well as being a coastal state with the Famous Myrtle beach and of course Charleston. Those large costal cities and a few others account for the majority of our cases as well. If people would have just stayed home, it would not have been quite as bad. We have opened everything here, restaurants and bars with 50 occupancy and the cases of positive have increased but with that increase, is the increased testing of a huge military base, all the inmates in jails, all the nursing home residents nbspand staff, and anyone who wants to be tested in many locations around the cities. Of course the cases will increase! We have had riots here this weekend by thugs. There were peaceful protest that were taken in a different direction by these thugs. Unfortunately, some that were arrested tested positive for Covid which put all the police officers involved in quarenteen and probably spread it among those rioting. So sad! nbsp

miss-t

I knew the first person who died in the state of Washington. He died alone and his wife never got to visit him. He was 91. I know of three others who have had it and recovered but it was a long recovery for them. One of those to volunteered to be in the antibody testing here at the UW where they are doing alot of research on the virus. I was exposed late February and been self isolating since. Toilet paper was a nightmare being hard to find at first. All is good now.

Be safe , this stuff is serious.

miiss-t

Past Member

Hi

My daughter and partner had it early in March. They weren't tested but pretty sure it was it. They live in London and were still travelling on the tube.

All was good with them as they are young and healthy. They recovered after a few days. They're going to have a test when available to see if definitely the virus.

I live south west england in Devon and we have very low infection here. My family in London will be able to visit me from Saturday. I haven't seen them since Christmas.

Mo