Masks

In this discussion
Replies
Views
Newatthis

i have a major peeve about the current 0andemic situation

I was(and still am) under the impression that by law, masks were to be worn on the busses. Having travelled a few times on local transport, I am shocked to see the large number of passengers not masking themselves.

Not only that, but the drivers do not turn those people away who are not wearing masks,

Being over 75 I am very worried about the chances of a second wave and feel that those not complying with a law that does protect people , especially those at risk.

I hate to say this, but those who are not complying to the mask law and the distancing law are putting many people at risk and are potential murderers

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,102 members. Get inside and you will see.

We're not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed in the forums.

It's a very special community, embracing all ages and backgrounds. People are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Bill

Hello Newatthis. 

You are quite right that in the UK masks should be worn on public transport and that this is the law. Like any other lawbreaking, it should be reported to the police as it is happening if possible. It seems rather unfair to leave the resposibility to the bus drivers in these situations, as the people who break the law are also the ones who are most likely to get violent with whoever they think may be reporting them. I would be inclined to be using my mobile phone to video the offence and to call the police to report it as and when it happens. There is another aspect to this, in that most public transport nowadays has cctv and it is possible that offenders will be identified at a later date and dealt with accordingly. This strategy might avoid any escalation of the situation as it happens. At least the 'concept' that this might happen could be of some comfort to those who wish the law to upheld. 

Best wishes

Bill

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate
Past Member

I am totally disabled and hate wearing a mask but a little discomfort on my part is well worth stopping the spread!

I see SO many people not complying and turning it into a political statement- COME ON PEOPLE!!

Past Member

Agree 100 there all potential murderers.. I don't use buses myself but know from my nieces and friends that a lot aren't wearing masks on them and if they have one when they get on take it as soon as there on...madness putting there own and family and friends lives at risk....bus drivers get enough abuse vilance against them as it is as it is so expect there afraid of saying anything for fear of an attack and we don't have enough Police to hand fines out to make them think twice about not wearing a mask.....I fear it will be the same in shops from the 24th July

lovely

There are also those in grocery stores and other public places that don't wear mask or soicial distancing. Look at all the riots and protester . Large crowds like that how can it not spread?

Words of Encouragement from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
HenryM

The level of stupidity, insanity, and selfishness that non-mask wearers display just follows the lead of the most stupid, most insane, and most selfish man in the news:  Donald Trump.  The number of deaths that he ultimately will be responsible for won't approach the level of Stalin, Hitler, or Mao, but it will be well beyond what this pandemic would have produced had he reacted to it with some level of competence. 

Bill

Hello HenryM.
I am not sure that an outsider such as myself should comment on some other country's President. However, I will say that all the leaders of the 3 most powerful nations in the present world have provided me with an abundance of material and motivation for rhymes on the concept of 'Bullying'.

As a poet, I must be ironically grateful to them for this contribution to my literary efforts. However, as a participant and an interested spectator on the human race, these three fill me with even more despair than I had before about where the world may be headed in the near future.

Mr. Trump as President of the USA, strikes me as just as much of a dictator and despot as the other two, but whereas they have systems which unashamedly support their dictatorial endeavours, Mr. Trump is in charge of a country that has previously been used to a western-style democracy. It seems that he is doing his utmost to undermine the principles upon which such a democracy was based and, unless he is controlled in this regard, he may well divide the country so much that it will be difficult to repair when once he is gone. 

My own perspective on this, includes the concept that President Putin probably knew exactly what he was doing when he supported Mr. Trump into office. He probably learned a lot from the collapse of the Soviet Union. which had not been by way of an external invasion, but an undermining of the principles upon which their previous state had been built.  In this sense, 'President' Trump seems to be the best President that Russia has ever had!!

Best wishes and good luck - (I have a feeling you are all going to need the latter.)

Bill

lovely

Everyone has their opinion and I have mine I was told two things you don't argue about and that is politics and religion. I am of a different opinion about the president. Since I don't think this is the place I won't say anything else about it.

Past Member

I agree lovely,we don't have to argue about politics or religion, we all have a right to our own opinion and a right to have our voices heard whatever side of the fence we sit.

As a conservative myself I usually don't express my views unless I'm with like-minded people who seem harder to find these days, perhaps because we are the "silent majority"!