August/September Getaway Options: Seeking Travel Advice

Replies
Views
xnine

Things are opening up a bit but not enough yet. Looking at August or September to do something. Drive or fly? North, East or West, South I think the border will still be closed. All I want to do is get out of this place. Anyone else got an itch?

looking forward

For sure, but I have no family here. Kids live in Europe. Take a trip for me.

Gray Logo for MeetAnOstoMate

Why Join MeetAnOstoMate?

First off, this is a pretty cool site with 33,319 members. Get inside and you will see.

It's not all about ostomy. Everything is being discussed.

Many come here for advice or to give advice 🗣, others have found good friends 🤗, and there are also those who have found love 💓. Most of all, people are honest and truly care.

Privacy is very important - the website has many features that are only visible to members.

Create an account and you will be amazed.

Past Member

Xnine, I would be driving. Canadians are welcome in Europe, but you have to ask yourself how safe flying is right now. The airlines have relaxed the rules about COVID precautions, including the wearing of masks. How would you feel about being stuck on a flight beside someone for several hours, not knowing whether they had the virus, but no visible symptoms? I get the feeling of restlessness from being cooped up for months, but to me, it isn't worth the risk to get on a plane right now. You are in Alberta, so within reasonable driving distance of plenty of cool places to visit. Hotels are taking lots of precautions, including booking fewer customers, so that feels safer than flying. Wear a mask wherever you go; keep yourself safe. Let us know about your adventure when you get home.

Laurie

kmedup

Hi,

How about a quick trip to BC to pick up some fruit? The fruit season is in full swing. The Crow's Nest Pass is a beautiful drive to get to Highway 3, one of my favourite BC routes. You can do the complete circle and return via Banff. I will be doing that in several weeks for a quick break. Take care. Karen

lovely

I don't really get out much anyway, so it does not bother me. Y'all just stay safe as you can. Best wishes

Stories of Living Life to the Fullest from Ostomy Advocates I Hollister
Past Member

Hi xnine,

We all get cabin fever. Sounds like some good advice. Pick a destination up north and go.

Mtnman

Past Member

Now xnine, do you not live in Alberta, quite possibly one of the most beautiful places in the world?! Are you not about 1.5 hours' drive from Banff?!

A bit further on Peyto Lake...

or Emerald Lake....

or even further afield Maligne Lake...

Now count your blessings, get in your car and off you go! Don't take for granted the beauty in your own backyard.

(Photos courtesy of my niece who has spent the last 18 months in Banff and now happily living and working over in Tofino, BC (soon to be ex-pat Aussie methinks because she loves the land of the maple leaf so much!)

Past Member

It's beautiful! ..Mountain 

Immarsh

I'm right with you Xnine... I wasn't well enough to travel this past year, and was looking forward to visiting friends in Fla, and in Ga, as well as flying off to Australia, to visit my kids and grandkids, who live there. I haven't seen them in 6 years, except for FaceTime video.. Sigh. And then along came the pandemic, and that's the end of travel.. I would do a relatively short road trip, but have no one to go with, and those who would go, are scared off by the virus... So I am isolating at home... And yes, people are nicer.. They smile with their eyes, and we don't recognize even people we know, because of the masks.. Was sitting outside at a local restaurant that was closed on Sunday, using their outdoor tables and chairs, to have takeout coffee with a friend.. It felt like a big escape.. We're in search of outdoor seating, so we can have a picnic or get some takeout food.. Frustrating really...

Past Member

Reply by Immarsh, on Tue Jul 28, 2020 9:28 am

Beautiful photos, and lovely places to visit....I've been to Vancouver, and all the way over on the east, but not in between.. Have always wanted to go to Banff, or take that luxury rail trip.... But my financial long distance travel wings have been clipped. So I have to think more local and more creative... The New Jersey shore is just a half hour east of me...and then I could follow the route south along the ocean drives... Have done that many times, but it's always beautiful!

Exactly Marsha, even in this "annus horribilis"; most of us don't have far to look in our own local areas to find the beautiful.

Have a feeling those of us with wanderlust will be grounded for the foreseeable future unfortunately, but probably a good thing for the environment (and the bank balance!) Am thinking that any future air travel will look a lot different than it did before.

Hope your offspring are safe and well (Queensland yes?, anywhere but Victoria is doing OK down here for now *touch wood*).

Cheers,

Jo

"'There's always a sunrise and always a sunset and it's up to you to choose to be there for it,' said my mother. 'Put yourself in the way of beauty.'" – Cheryl Strayed, Wild.

Past Member

Hey xnine, Barbados is welcoming Canadians who want to ride out the pandemic there. It is a beautiful island, with fabulous beaches, and a wild and stunningly gorgeous east coast. And their hot sauce is fantastic - like eating firecrackers. Be warned though: you can't take marijuana with you, you can't dress in camouflage clothing, and maybe it's best to avoid the place altogether if you're gay. If those aren't deterrents, another upside is that Drake is hanging out there right now. But you still have to sit next to someone on the flight down there...... Maybe if you smother yourself in Bajan hot sauce, no virus will come near you.

Laurie

xnine

Road trip, east, north, west, south Aug 28 to Sept 3, 1980 km (1230 miles)

First stop: Medicine Hat for gas. It is pay at the pump, we have had that for a few years, so no contact and no problems. My sister-in-law did not want any visitors since she was having surgery in Sept and did not want to be compromised.

Next stop is Moose Jaw. The hotel required masks and they had shields and masks. Wendy's sister is in a care home and they required masks, the restaurant did not, but they wore masks. Got a car wash and some gas, had to pay inside, no problem. The next day had another visit with Wendy's sister. Found out visiting hours were 2:00 to 7:00 in the rooms, so we sat outside in the shade.

Off to Regina, the main reason for our trip was my Aunt's Celebration of Life. Only 70 people allowed in the church, which could hold about 200. All wore masks till seated. She passed in March at 95 years but had to wait till now for her celebration. A little visit in the parking lot with masks, there was no reception. Invited to my sister-in-law's for order in supper from Boston Pizza. She preferred we eat outside, but it got too windy. We were the first people in the house for months. At the hotel, masks were not required.

Off to Regina Beach to stay at my brother's for a night. He took us for a walking tour, no masks required. It was windy again, there were no boats on the lake. Wendy's nephew met us for lunch the next day at the famous fish and chips place. Inside seating was closed, but we found a picnic table for our lunch.

Back to Regina to Wendy's niece's place for supper and later the same hotel. Got in contact with another brother for lunch, masks required. Back to Moose Jaw for another little visit with Wendy's sister and cinnamon buns.

Off to Saskatoon to visit with one of Wendy's school friends. The hotel required masks. The liquor store required masks. The taxi required masks.

Off to Marshall SK. to see my sister. Had a nice visit and a look at her garden. Time for home.

It was nice to get away even if it was a whirlwind tour.

Past Member

Hi xnine,

Perhaps it was a rush, rush visiting but you did it! You got out and away from the house. How do you feel now? It sounds like you both had fun. I'm glad you enjoyed it. We all get to that point where we feel we'll burst if we don't get out to see what the world is doing or if it's safe out there.

Glad you shared it with us...mountain.